Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Primer Jams

I've had my 650 for a little over a year now, and the whole time I've had it, the priming system consistently jams. It used to be just an annyoance and happened once every 300-400 rounds, now it seems to be happening much more often.

The primer disc jams so it cannot turn. When I remove it from the press, I can see a single primer that is in the hole of the disc immediatly BEFORE the primer drop tube, and the primer is always cocked at an angle. It looks like the disc occasionally rotates the opposite direction a very small bit at which point the primer tilts becuase of lack of support beneath, and when the disc tries to advance the proper direction, the primer jams.

The only other way I can see a primer getting in this position is if it were to run around the entire disc and try and be re-fed into feeding assembly; however, the primer indexing arm seems to punch out any un-used primers when it resets. Additionally, I don't think this is the case, because I know I haven't always had primers that did not seat before this happened.

Has anyone seen this before? Suggestions? Thanks.

if you use the search function you'll find a few suggestions to help cure the flipped primer issue.

but IIRC the main cause of flipped primers is a machine that wobbles during operation.

I have the same exact issues with my 650,,a great machine, but not nearly as reliable as my old 550b. At times I think my shell plate is not aligned up with disc. Too many times while seating the primer I can feel it catch or hang up and I will end up getting a sidewards primer..I have not found any one single cause, what I have have read is that many 650 owners have primer feeding issues. Usually if I take it apart, clean and lube it it will work like its supposed too, but I shouldn't have to clean it that much!

I feel just the opposite. My 650 is much more reliable than my old 550 was. Especially when loading new brass.

Are you 2 guys sure you have your machine securely mounted to the bench & the bench firmly secured to the wall ?

I have flipped primers as well. Only I have them only on certian types of cartriges. I rarely have one on my 45 acp but loading 38 super I had many feed problems.

What I found is that the timing is slightly off and the primer catches the edge of the hole in the shell plate and turns or flips. adjust the timing a little and it might fix it.

This includes the rod that activates the pusher at the sizing station. (the one that puts the brass in the shell plate)

good luck.

david

My 650's primer system is not as good as my 550 either. My problem was the primer disk's holes are punched out and leave some burrs. So when you leave a primer in the disk, instead of falling out as originally intended, it rotates in and jams. Then you have to take the priming system off to clear. To fix my problem I deburred and slightly polished the disks so primers could fall free.

How does one adjust the "timing" on the 650 ?

There are two ways. First, I found that my big black plastic cam was out of spec and that was the cause of my primer issues. The other way to adjust is (and excuse the late night lack of technical jargon) to adjust the little black metal thing on the left under the shell plate. It's got oblong holes in it allowing adjustment of timing.

I just looked and it's the indexer block, if you look at the parts list.