Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carver Mount

Leroy

I run the Carver on a 17L and it is the mount for a scope on a Glock. Several of my friends use the Carver and 34 with the ame excellent results. If you use the Carver Competition model you won't be able to have iron (or plastic) sights on your slide.

I saw one of the mounts on a gun at the Space City challenge earlier this year. It fit really well and the gun seemed to fit really well. I looked the gun over but did not get an opportunity to shot it. I am condering one for my 35 and converting it to open. The shooter also said they offer weights to add to it if you need them.

He did have to modify his holster to fit the gun correctly.

Mike

I have a Carver on a 35. Actually, if one of y'all really wants one, I have a silver Aimpoint one I'd let go (adapters to other scopes are available). It's maybe got fifty rounds on it.. it's not terribly lefty-friendly, which is why I never use it anymore. Make me an offer.

Note that on the 34/35 series, you don't have to remove the front sight if you don't want to. You'll still need to pull the rears.

The carver mount is well made and a nicely done unit. but IMHO

it positions the scope two far forward. If you are planing on runiing open with an effective comp I belive you would be better served with something moved back further. I have been working on a design that

I feel will eventualy be better. another option is to use a slide mounted sight say a doctor. the trend in open guns is to take as much weight out of the front of the gun as posible. trying to balance them as much as posible. I personaly like the weight over my hand, or just slightly ahead.

Dont missunderstand me the carver mount does what it was intended very well . no mods to the gun that are not reversable. very sturdy. very ridged.the mount was intended for a diferent market and serves that well.

If you are interested in seeing my design go to the galleryand check out mad pics.The main draw back to my design is they are a permenant mounting.

Johnnie

CGR,

That would be great can you elaberate on your mods and let us know if they require haveing machine equipment or are simple add on parts. like I said the mount is great but positioning the scope back is a

concern for me. with hybride holes in the barrel I have seen scopes blown right off guns. not necciseraly a carver but the concern is still pressent. the mount itself is right where my hybride holes exit.I would like to see the mount scaloped out ahead of the chamber.

Johnnie

take a look at my comp system and you will see my point.

MS,

I have the same concerns about the Carver being mounted forward as well (blow holes from hybrid barrels venting at the scope/mount).

I emailed Carver back about the time he was developing the sight mount. He said the mount was designed in such a way as to make moving the sight back possible.

I emailed him again after the mount came out...sounds like the way to move the sight back is to drill and tap the top piece of the mount. Not exactly what we need for USPSA Open gunning (IMO).

Flex,

That is what I thought. Iwant as little to go wrong on my gun as I can

because murphy seems to have been the motivation for the invention of IPSC shooting and is always there to throw you a curve.

If it can be broken on a gun you will see it at a match near you.

I hate that and my goal is to make a mount that can stand up ,is simple

and above all gives the shooter every advantage I can think up.

I hope more people can shoot open and the goal is to make glocks competative with 1911's I dont want Glock owners to feel like second class citizens and my goal is to put out stuff that does the job at a fair and resonable price.

I'm wondering now I need to get off my soap box. Hey the carver mount is a great mount but like all other products has its flaws. just like mine.

Johnnie.

CGR,

That would be great can you elaberate on your mods and let us know if they require haveing machine equipment or are simple add on parts. like I said the mount is great but positioning the scope back is a

concern for me. with hybride holes in the barrel I have seen scopes blown right off guns. not necciseraly a carver but the concern is still pressent. the mount itself is right where my hybride holes exit.I would like to see the mount scaloped out ahead of the chamber.

Johnnie

take a look at my comp system and you will see my point.

MS,

Have you seen a Carver mount blown off the gun? Does your mount interfere with your grip? How low is your mount? I'm curious as to how it handles ejection being moved back since it would necessarily have to cover the ejection port.

Sorry, but I have to agree w/ Flex & Mad Scientist on this; the Carver may be well made & is popular w/ the GSSF crowd but for our sport, USPSA, it mounts very far forward - far more so than most open guns mount their sights, thus putting your scope perilously close to the compensator and blow holes (if any). Even if the scope stays on the gun w/ this mount, I would want to have an effective blast shield custom machined & mounted to prevent the comp & blow hole blast from damaging the scope (esp. w/ AA powders).

In addition, some models mount the scope too high w/ the idea that you can use the regualr sights too - neat trick, but not optimal for serious competition. There are other options too; the inovative & competition oriented mount from Mad scientist comes to mind as one. If you are just shooting steel or GSSF do not mind the forward mount & are looking for a plug & play mount and compensator, you might also check out the Seidler system which was recommended to me from a former member of the Austrian National Glock team. This mount has the advanatge of no perm. modification to Glock, very low mount, and the barrel/comp just drop in. Do a search on Buffer Technologies for info and price. You can also see the Seidler on glockmeister.com in the photo section. Just don't expect to use this mount on the "C" model Glocks & I would hesitate to try major 9 w/ out more support info on the Seidler barrel. Let us know what you decide! D.C. Johnson

Fire glock,

AsIsaid in my post "not necisaraly a carver but the concern is still thier." What I have seen are 1911 scopes blown off. one in particulare an IMI gun with a c-more mounted 3or 4 times with as many mounts. All the mounts were of great design but ended up in the path of the hybride holes.ended up the smith had to move the sight well off the back of the gun . this solved the problem.

The problem is not the mount itself ;strength ,or rigidity the problem lies in the market and game the mount was intended to play. open glocks were a novalty in IPSC compatition untill recent rulings by the powers that be.As more people get on board you will see specifice mods and designs that will bring the glock into its own in open. ther realy wasent

a need for open class mounts till now.Because the only thing you could use was 9x21 and that brass is not cheap and noone realy shot it much. I once owned a 9x21 and had to buy new regularly.with super

atleast you could hang back and pick up range brass and at lest the costs didnot kill ya.

As far as length goes I realy hadnot messured one.but the scope is positioned over the hand and balances my guns at the triger gaurd.

I have also added a thumb rest for the shooting hand that alows for a high thumb hold. alowing leverage to be aplied to the gun.

The ejection side of the gun is open as my mount is one sided. the

strong hand is completely free of the scope and the week hand has several grip points if you so desire.

freestyle shooting and strong hand are as natural as any thing.

week hand is a little diferent but I have goten used to it. probable

about like the carver is at times.

bottom line. shoot what ya like and if you come up with a better mouse trap share it about .

Johnnie

Thank you for the reply MS. I personally don't intend to use another one sided mount myself, I don't care for the shake. Yours may be different, so I certainly can't pass judgement on it since I haven't seen or used it. As a question, why not spend the effort on barrel/comp for a .40 for open? Fear of case failure, brass cost, case support? It seems the 9 thing has suddenly made everyone antsy to start using Glocks in open. The guns didn't change, just the caliber you could use?

Please understand I'm not telling anybody what to buy, I don't shoot USPSA and while I toyed with the thought I've learned enough here to make a decision to stay out. Maybe steel.

Carlos, there are two models of Carver mount, the Competiton and the Hunter. The competition mount sets lower than any other Glock mount I have seen, period. The Hunter model does in fact allow you to maintain the stock type sights on the gun with the scope mount installed. MS's scope mount sits much higher than the Carver with a C-more, check MS's photo in the gallery. If you need a photo of a Carver C-more mount let me know. The Seidler mount that you mentioned sits off center of the bore, as does the THE Glock mount. That might work here but I see it as a draw back in any competition.

Jerry,

The Open 40 is a no-go for most due to capacity of the 170mm sticks and the trouble in finding light enough bullets so that you can load up enough powder to work the comps. (disclaimer: Yes, there are some great shooters that make the Open 40 work.)

Matt, CGR,

so the mount itself is still in the same spot and far forward?

If I am under standing you ,you have moved the scope back on the mount?If so this still leaves the mount above my hybride holes and the mount will take a beating ? taking off the right side ? what does this do for you?ejection clearence?I wouldent think this is a problem on that mount.or hand placement?

Great mount but just doesent do it for me.I would love to see a slightly redesigned mount that is made for IPSC specifacly then I wouldent have to make them for my guns. Its so much easier to make a call than make a mount.

Johnnie

Fire glock,

I con cure that the bigest reason not to do a 40 is magazine capacity. I get 28+1 in my taylor "big stick" and that in itself will eliminate a magchange on most medium courses (20 to 26rounds)

A mag change equtes to about 1.5 seconds .That is a lifetime on a IPSC stage any where in the world.

What does interest me in 40 is "modified" I got to try one out. maybe

that is the game for you?

Flex ,

Joey built a 40 sti last year and used 135 hollow points with mass quantities of 3n38 . that was a verry flat gun but he sold the gun after one or two matches . I dont know why but I suspect capacity might have been an issue. he got 24+1 in a 170 mm

The issues that make the 9 so great were at work there also . cost per shot was very low and you could leave the brass laying.

As far as the 40 itself goes the larger case will undoughtedly require far more powder than the 9 to generate the same presure levels and velocity needed to make an open gun function at peek levels.

The reson 9 is so well accepted is for the first time in many years the "other platforms " have a chance to compete on level playing fields.

Johnnie

Matt,

Can you show us a pic on a gun so I can see where the scope ended up in relation to the chamber? BTW we have actualy met and talked for about an hour. This was at the Glock annual in ConyersThinkit was 2001. Are you planning on shooting that match.Maybe we can compare notes?

Johnnie