Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber optic sights

mrmetalweld57

My preference and recommendation is the Millett .360" target (plain black) rear sight, and the SDM .300" or EGW .295" front sight.

Although I have always liked the SDM front sight, its fiber-optic rod is not as easily replaced unless you drill the hole on through the front part of the sight. Although this is easy enough to do, I still consider it a design flaw.

I just spoke with Norm Bjelland, owner of MG who said that all Montana Gold Bullets are made to shoot. If you do not want to wear your gun out, simply stop shooting it! This hardness issue comes up every year os so and doesn't bother Norm at all.

As the sponsored revolver shooter for Team Montana Gold, I put alot of bullets down the pipe of my 627s and 625s. My 627 was bought in 1998 through Lew Horton, I have shot 60K+ of 130 gr .356 Montana Gold RN bullets and the accuracy is still there and I am not looking to replace it anytime soon. Sure there is some wear, how would you feel with 60,000 bullets down your pipe?

My son, Sgt Adam Sahlberg, was the first Junior Sponsored shooter for Montana Gold. He has shot 100K+ .38 Super .356 130 gr RN bullets through his Craig Fantom since we bought this inn 1997. We are shooting the same gun and same original barrel and its accuracy has not changed much either. BTW, Adam made GM before his 19th BD is is coming home from Iraq in just 16 days with the rest of the brave men and women from the 4th Stryker Brigade out of Ft Lewis, WA.

YAAAHOOOOO!

Whew...I thought it must have been me.....that ,plus I don't want anything down or up my pipe.....if you know what I mean :surprise:

BTW....I love SDM front, and a Weigand rear blade.

Edited by Pin Shooter

You might want to check out the Cylinder and Slide front and rear fiber optic sights. As far as I know, they are the only one with a rear

fiber optic for revolver. I have them on 5 S&W guns and really like them. They are target grade iron sights for accurate long range

shooting, with fiber optic rods for closer fast shooting. The rear notch is .100 deep with .160 height. I will post pics later today. You can

check them out on www.cylinder-slide.com.

post-10360-1210891041.jpg

post-10360-1210891128.jpg

Edited by Toolguy

As far as I know, they are the only one with a rear

fiber optic for revolver.

It's good to have options, and everybody is built a little differently, but I do think you will find that the vast majority of higher-level shooters (in any division) choose a plain black blade for the rear sight. As a general rule, you don't want anything drawing your focus away from the front sight where it belongs.

It has been tried and rejected by most of the top shooters as Carmoney points out. Will you hate it as much as they did? Maybe. Maybe not. We are all wired a little differently. I for one want a less busy sight picture so I can focus on what is important; the front sight.

-ld

No one has had anything else but black to choose from until now. It might be good to keep an open mind

rather than to throw it out the window without giving it a try.

I agree. When it comes to sights and grips, the choice is a highly personal thing. The answer to "which is best?" is always "whichever works best for you."