Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited-10

cnote

There is a group of guys at a club up here who swear by .45 in L-10. "Real men shoot .45 in L-10" was the quote. :sight:

1) What is the breakdown in your area?

2) what do/would you choose and why?

Thanks

In Indiana the breakdown is about 50/50. You tend to see guys with .45 single stacks and 10 round magazines that shoot L10, or you see guys that are practicing for Limited class. If I had my preference, I would shoot a double stack gun in .40 so that you could move up to Limited some day if you wanted to; using a .45 in Limited would be a distinct disadvantage. If you would like to shoot single stack some day, then using an single stack .45 (or .40) would be fine too. I much prefer shooting my double stack .40 (STI Edge) in L10, because it is much easier to reload during movement.

To answer the question you asked 45/40 .45 would be better. Downloaded to the same power factor say with 200 gr bullets you'll generate a less snappier recoil and make bigger holes in the paper which will eventually give you a few extra points. To answer what your question probably meant and in practice turns into, Single stack 45 ten round mag guns versus double stack 40 with equal practice you'll end up with better scores using a double stack. due to the quicker reloads.

There is a group of guys at a club up here who swear by .45 in L-10. "Real men shoot .45 in L-10" was the quote. :sight:

Thanks

HaHa. As soon as I hear "Real men shoot XX caliber or gun in YY division" I stop listening to whoever said it. These guys need to get a life :)

Most Limited 10 shooters, in our area, are shooting .45 acp. Most are using a single stack with the 10 round mag. One of the guys uses an STI in forty-five.

I have seen a few CZ's and other guns, but the majority is a 1911 single stack forty-five.

If I were going to compete in Limited 10, I would probably use my Edge. It is easy to shoot and easier to reload. When I was shooting Limited 10 a while back I used a Wilson KZ-45. A super gun for many reasons, however, the Edge edges it out in competition.

Buddy

To answer the question you asked 45/40 .45 would be better. Downloaded to the same power factor say with 200 gr bullets you'll generate a less snappier recoil and make bigger holes in the paper which will eventually give you a few extra points. To answer what your question probably meant and in practice turns into, Single stack 45 ten round mag guns versus double stack 40 with equal practice you'll end up with better scores using a double stack. due to the quicker reloads.

Do you really think that the larger holes will eventually lead to higher scores? I have always heard that the larger bullet diameter may help you touch the line on higher scoring zones, but are just as likely to "help" you touch a no-shoot target. Thus, I've always heard it is a wash.

There are a lot more scoring lines out there to be helped to touch than there are no shoots. So the chance that the .45 will help you touch a scoring line is higher than the chance it will help you touch a no shoot simply due to proportional factors.

In the end it is all about practice. I shoot with a guy (A class L10) that does faster reloads with his single stacks than anyone else in the club can do with double-stacks, including M and A class shooters. He has spent countless hours practicing his reloads.

yes I really do almost every other run a RO is eyeballing a target to see if it touched the line or not. I'd be surprised if you go more than a couple matches before the bigger hole gained you a point. You could probably shoot for years before the bigger hole would cause you to hit a noshoot you would have missed with a .40. Now the overall advantage may not ever be enough to move you up in the standings but a slight advantage it is none the less. Now the best of both worlds for L10 and IDPA ESP might just be a the above mentioned KZ45, Wilson doublestack ten rounder, Para P14 or a doublestack 45 built on a STI or SVI frame if you can get it to run. All that being said I use a 40. I shot with a Para for a couple years then switched to a Single Stack 40 overall I did better with the Para P16.

Thanks

HaHa. As soon as I hear "Real men shoot XX caliber or gun in YY division" I stop listening to whoever said it. These guys need to get a life :)

+1

REAL men shot whatever the f*#k they want.

Next question.

I shoot .45 in L10 in an STI Edge

Why?.... A variety of reasons.

I like the .45.

It hammers steel.

It punches big holes.

It will easily make major with fast powders without pushing the pressure.

Why the edge instead of a SS?

Commonality.

It has the same grip, same size and same feel as the 2011 I shoot in Open and the 2011 I shoot in Limited.

All 3 guns use the same holster / belt / mag pouches.

All 3 guns use the same type of magazine and have the same size magwells.

This way I don't have to re-tool my draw or reload when changing divisions.

Furthermore, a fully loaded 45 Edge makes a fine home defense weapon.

16 rounds of 45 caliber attitude adjustment.

And the biggest reason of all.

Because I choose to.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

I started shooting limited 10 with a single stack in .45. After trying a friends .40 STI limited Edge, I found that I liked the larger grip size so I graduated to a Dawson enhanced P14. After lots of experimentation and tweeks, I arrived at what I have today for limited 10. My sugestion is to try as many different setups as possible and find what works for you. I think that the ability to customise the gun to my needs is what makes Limited 10 so much fun for me. I don't believe that there is a RIGHT answer here......Only one that works for you.

Thanks

REAL men don't shoot the hidey hole L10 division anyway.........

:D

Politics

Policy or political debates of any kind are not welcome.

Specifically including (but not limited to):

- USPSA vs IPSC

- IPSC vs IDPA

- STI vs SVI

- Limited 10 vs Limited Class- This Division vs That Division

- This Government vs That Government

- Gun Control Issues

CLOSED