Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock 26 ?

colbyjack

thining bout getting a glock 26 for a pocket gun and just a bedroom drawer gun. any experience with them? im thinking its small enough to go in my pocket and not print. im a big guy 5'11" and 290 lbs. im thinking this may be better than going with the keltec .380 or a .25 auto.

think ill be happy with a 26? i dont own any 9mm's. im thinking the .45acp one would be heavy in my pocket (35). what about the 27 or the .45 gap one?

any pics? what kind of mods can one do to a pocket gun? im thinking bout getting it with the night sights. thanks for any help -chris

I like mine. I've had it a little over a year and it's been my pocket gun since. I made a leather pocket holster for it because I'm cheap. I would like to get a kydex pocket scabbard for it as well. I have TruGlo TFOs on my G19 and G17 so the G26 will get them eventually. I've been shooting Glocks for 20 years so having a little one that will take the big mags is a real plus for me.

The only issue I had with it was the slide release. This is the only three pin Glock I have and the slide release spring was getting caught on the third pin, making it not catch when the mag was empty. I eventually clipped the tip of the spring off a bit so it did not interfere and the release seems to be working fine now.

It is a little heavy and a little bulky depending on the side of your pockets. I picked mine up used for $400 which was not the best deal but didn't break the bank. If you don't feel you have to buy new, you can likely find a used one at a better price. It's pretty likely it won't have been shot a lot. Recoil does not see to be a problem but the gun is more jumpy than my bigger Glocks.

Here's a couple of snapshots of my gun and holster. I should have made the projection over the top of the slide a little longer in the back and a little stiffer but it works. I may just rivet a bit of plastic on it.

post-5289-1210474759.jpg post-5289-1210474803.jpg

I'd highly suggest tritium sights if this is the nightstand gun. Easier to find and use in the dark.

Good luck with your search,

John

I love, love, love my Glock 26. I pocket carry with a Galco holster and ten round mags with or without +2 pads, or go IWB with a 15 round G19 mag and an AG sleeve. I don't concern myself with jams, and am more than confident with 124 +P Gold Dots. An added bonus is that I can take it with me to major matches and cannibalize parts from the 26 for my 34 if a part breaks.

pocketrt.jpg

pocketfront.jpg

I have a G27 that's my backup on a daily basis. I wear it in an Alessi ankle rig and it's reaonably comfortable. I'm not a big guy, so it's on the limit of what I can wear in an ankle rig, but it's nice to have there just in case. I carry either a G22 or G23 in a belt holster, so the good thing is the spare mag I carry will work in the G27 if needed. The 27 definitely has a bit more pop to it than the 26, but it's not bad at all. Mine has proven to be extremely accurate for such a small gun. I like the Pearce grip extensions on the mags....make a huge difference in how much control you have. We're not allowed to use the Pearce extensions that add any capacity as there have been some reliability issues with them. 9+1 of .40 is more than enough for a pocket gun really. I often slip it in my pocket when I'm taking out the trash at night or when I walk the dogs in the neighborhood and it's small enough that nobody would ever notice. Not sure how many thousand rounds I've got through mine but it has never, ever malfunctioned in any way....gotta like that. The factory option Trijicons are worth it, IMO.

It is a little heavy and a little bulky depending on the side of your pockets.

Everyone is different, but I can't really pull off the G26/27 as a pocket gun. It's a great pistol, but if I have a pocket gun it's an aluminum framed J frame or a Keltec 3AT.

My G27 goes IWB for me.

It is a little heavy and a little bulky depending on the side of your pockets.

Everyone is different, but I can't really pull off the G26/27 as a pocket gun. It's a great pistol, but if I have a pocket gun it's an aluminum framed J frame or a Keltec 3AT.

My G27 goes IWB for me.

My 26 is my favorite gun but just too big for me to pocket carry. I'm tall and skinny. When I pocket carry it's my 340 or my new LCP. I do carry the 26 in an IWB very comfortably.

cool thanks for the responses. anyone got any experience with the green frame ones? if i round the trigger guard will it still be green or look messed up? ill probably get the black but was just courious. -chris

My 27 is just too bulky to go in a pocket, even a pair of Dockers on me. I do carry a 27 in a Galco Jak Slide and any shirt with a tail covers it great. The way I'm built, the grip of a 19 or 22 stuck out no matter how/where I tried it, even with the same holster.

Havent see a Green glock at all except in pictures!!! I think you ought to go for it and let us know how it turns out! :D

Edited by CDRODA396

I don't like the "baby Glocks" The 26 and 27 are really thick and bulky. The grip is too short to get all of my fingers on it (though a mag extension of some kind would help).

For me the answer is a Kahr. I carry a P-9. It's a lot thinner than a 26, it's a bit lighter, and the grip is just long enough for me to grab it with my whole hand.

Obviously, there are lots of people out there who like their 26 or 27. In my opinion, Glock's cutting down a full-sized pistol to make a "pocket gun" doesn't produce as good a solution as Kahr did, designing a concealed pistol from scratch.

DD

Howdy ColbyJack, and et al.,

My G26 is carried a lot and shot a lot too. I use mine regularly for pistol matches which keeps me in working practice with one of my principle carry pieces. It is a basic rig, standard mags no extenders. I tried several variants of the mag extenders and always came right back to the stock flat bottomed ones. No fuss, they just work and I'm able to always hit the reload well.

Mine came with Meprolight night sights. I tried these out for many years and figured out that I really didn't care for that fat front sight filling up the rear gap. So took a swiss file and opened up the rear gap to the full width. Much happier now. Even now over 8 years + the sights are very bright compared to my newer night sights on other pistols.

One of the first things to go was the serrated trigger. I just swapped it for an equivalent part on the G17 which has a smooth trigger face. Also I pretty much run stock Glock parts, either a # 3.5 glock connector or the standard # 5.5 connector. I've still not figured out which I like best even after all these years.

What I really like about the G26 is the size. It handles well, shoots great, and pretty much looks like a cell phone on the hip. More than once have friends and co-workers over look the pistol in plain sight on my hip in a paddle holster. I've had an instance where I spent most of the morning spent with a friend only to have them finally realize it was a pistol on my hip rather than a cell phone. Another instance was where I met up with a co-worker a day after seeing them out in the SE AZ desert trails and they mentioned at work that they were surprised to see that I was out with out a firearm. Yup you guessed it, right on my hip, hidden in plain view.

Only you can decide what suits your needs. I can only encourage you to try one out. Either borrow or rent one. I was fortunate that I had friends that loaned me a 26 and 27 for comparison. Run it through both static and dynamic shooting as you're intentions are for self defense so you really want a good idea on how this little gun handles. That is just what I did with both the 26 and 27. I found the shot timer is impartial and will let you know which one runs better for you.

As for carry methods, again you'll want to do some research and find out what works for you. Glocks are different and owners need to capitalize on that.

Good luck with the research! Hopefully that economic stimulus package will facilitate your acquisition.

Cheers!

I own a g26 that I use for self defense, concealed in a ankle holster (I know, I know, but I work in a Pub, I got bumped 200 times-a-day..)

I did a stipple job, rounded the trigger guard, relieved the trigger guard bottom area, and did a very conservative 25c trigger job.

Best setup ever is with novak plain rear and a tritium front, heinie set rocks, but the front sight is tall, with some holster tends to rub picking dirt from holster.

I wore my front sight after ten years use, so I'm currently using trijicon night sights.

I use extra power firing pin spring, maritime cups and 3.5 glock connector, for a very crisp 4.5 lbs pull.

When I wear my baby G in a belt holster I put a +2 mag for better grip.

It's amazing the accuracy level of the G26, I routinely can knock plates at 50 yds, in a good day.

It's blocky, I know, but I'm a firm believer in a "one gun-guy" doctrine.

I use a glock in competition, I'm accustomed to trigger prepping and riding the reset, I think that having a self defense gun that use the same system of what you use and train is an absolute must.

My 0.02

all I can say is that I have had my g27 for about a month now, shoot atleast 100 rnds through it every week and it rocks. I was blown away with how accurate it is and easy to shoot. Yeah there is a some snap to it, but it is completely managable. Nice thing bout the 27, you want to shoot 9, just give LWD a call.

Only malfunction I have had so far was mag related with the +1 pierce grip. It is just one mag though, I think it just needt o have the spring worn in some. I have 2 other mags set up the same way and they have 0 realibilty issues. I do the same thing as the other guys. If I am going to a nice dinner with the wife, no mag ext and it just slides in the pocket. No one knows better. Otherwise, I have been carrying it IWB Comtac holster wearing shorts and a tee, even my wife can't tell when I have it on (funny since I always carry, you would think she would have just assumed by now, but she still asks.).

Goes great with my g23 and g22, now just to get the long slide and one set will be complete.

glock-40-family-001.jpg

glocks-001.jpg

everyone loves threads with pics right?

Edited by rugerp89ipsc

It's deja vu all over again

:cheers:

Mine are all 9mms though...

post-5289-1210817896.jpg

all I can say is that I have had my g27 for about a month now, shoot atleast 100 rnds through it every week and it rocks. I was blown away with how accurate it is and easy to shoot. Yeah there is a some snap to it, but it is completely managable. Nice thing bout the 27, you want to shoot 9, just give LWD a call.

Only malfunction I have had so far was mag related with the +1 pierce grip. It is just one mag though, I think it just needt o have the spring worn in some. I have 2 other mags set up the same way and they have 0 realibilty issues. I do the same thing as the other guys. If I am going to a nice dinner with the wife, no mag ext and it just slides in the pocket. No one knows better. Otherwise, I have been carrying it IWB Comtac holster wearing shorts and a tee, even my wife can't tell when I have it on (funny since I always carry, you would think she would have just assumed by now, but she still asks.).

Goes great with my g23 and g22, now just to get the long slide and one set will be complete.

glock-40-family-001.jpg

glocks-001.jpg

post-5289-1210817896.jpg

glock-40-family-001.jpg

glocks-001.jpg

that is just too cool. who would of thought yours would look like mine and that you would lay them out in the unique manner. maybe we're brothers.......

What would be really cool is a slim, single stack G26 that weighs about 15 oz. That would replace the J Frame as the pocket gun standard IMO.

That would be a kahr pm 9

I don't know. Many people swear by them - and I've also heard of many problems.

I've heard general problems with them on forums (which I take with a grain of salt), but some complaints came from credible people.

What I take from it is this: if you get a good one, it's great - but Kahr reguarly has lemons. What do you think?

Had a Kahr K9, flat, concealable, accurate, ran like a champ, but heavy! Like Cy I heard enough stories and saw a few examples of hit and miss quality so I wasn't tempted to try a P9. I carry a 26 quite a bit, usually in an IWB, occasionally in a pocket. It's also a good winter coat pocket gun....

Want Flatter in a Glock? Try a 36 --- mine's been reliable, but YMMV, according to some of the sotries I've heard....

post-5289-1210817896.jpg

glock-40-family-001.jpg

glocks-001.jpg

that is just too cool. who would of thought yours would look like mine and that you would lay them out in the unique manner. maybe we're brothers.......

I'll admit that I posed mine like your photo but the guns themselves are very close. I want a long slide as well but of course in 9mm. I saw a G35 at the local shop yesterday but am holding out for a 34.

I think we both have plastic in our blood. :)

John

so if i get this 26 and want a grip that puts my lil finger on it. should i get the pierce grip extension or get the 12 round glock mags? -chris

I would do both. However, I can say that after shooting 200 rnds with just a g23 or g22 mag in my g27, the last finger groove created a spot that gave me a pretty good little bite/blood blister, whatever you want to call it. Did it make me cry, just a little. Did it happen when I used my g27 mags with the extension the next week, neg and I ran 300 rounds through it that day.

just my .02

I like have plenty of mags and bbs, but if I am going to go practice with the gun, I use the g27 mags now with the proper extension.

• 1 year later...
In my opinion, Glock's cutting down a full-sized pistol to make a "pocket gun" doesn't produce as good a solution as Kahr did, designing a concealed pistol from scratch.

FWIW, the G-26 is not a "cut down" anything. It was designed "from scratch", just as alleged for the Kahr. The G-26 is considerably more accurate and reliable, and offers all the ease of maintenance and upgrades of all Glocks.

Love mine, fast on target, fast to acquire sights. My only changes: to Glock 3.5 lb connector, Glock extended slide stop which are very useful. Also steel guide rods with stock springs - but this was not really necessary as the stock guide rod assembly is plenty tough and stiff.

Last - removed the stock plastic front sight, replaced with an Ameriglo tritium ($29). It is entirely effective for night use. By the way, the guy that said he had to clip his slide stop spring simply didn't install it properly. This is not an issue on any Glock.