Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting the Bushing on a 1911

I'm thinking about taking C&S's class on barrel fitting in July. On their site they talk about mounting a 3/8" drill with a lockable trigger in a vise. They also talk about buying the following mandrel which I have: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...TTING%20MANDREL

It sounds like they are mounting the drill in a vise upside down and using it as a makeshift lathe. Has anyone done this? How well does this work? Am I coming to the wrong conclusion as to what they have in store for me? Why wouldn't they have a lathe there to use? I'm a little perplexed, and I'll be calling them later. I just thought it was interesting and worth bringing up here.

My Polish friends call that the "Polish lathe" and it does work. Takes a lot more patience to get it just right but it does work.

LOL the 'Polish reamer' is a split dowel with some sandpaper wedged in it......

If you are looking to finish the outside of the bushing, and have access to things commonly found in a shop, you can make the tool you are showing from Brownells. Use a 3/8 shoulder or stripper bolt, 2 balls out of 3/8 ball valves, a couple of washers and a nut. Capture the bushing between the two balls and spin it the lathe.

I have taken Cylinder and Slides class and that is exactly what you will be doing. Bill did not want to use the mills and lathes in the shop due to the extra time it would take to instruct. My bushing fit turned out excellent with that method BTW.

Hello: I fit mine the old fashion way with prussin blue and a file. That way it fits the slide bore perfectly. I learned the old way of fitting parts with stones and files. I see that they still scrape in ways on precision machines though ;-) Thanks, Eric

Have you called Bill at C&S to talk about the class yet? If not, do so...sooner rather than later.

I called today. Apparently, Sharon is handling this stuff, and she called in sick.