Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 Barrel Length Question????

AFDAVIS1

I am considering the purchase of an S & W 625, sight unseen. I was considering the 4" barrel but now I'm not sure. Which one do ya'll feel has the best balance. I shot a 686 with a 6" barrel years ago and hated the barrel heavy balance to it. I'm interested in knowing which you think would be best for IPSC, not IDPA (which I believe requires the 4"). Consider the balance of the gun with a right handed reload as well as while shooting please. Thanx

My 625 has a 4" tapered barrel. A bit more "whippy" than the full underlug 5" barrel, but not uncontrollable. Just noticable. I liked the way it tracked better than the 5", though. I'd advise trying to shoot all the different barrel lengths and seeing what you like best :)

Alex

I have a 625 with a 5" and really like it, it's not front heavy, it balances nicely. Just my 2 cents, but I'd go with the 5" for the increased velocity/accuracy/longer sight radiu. Not that it matters for close shots. But if you try shooting a Texas star at 15 yards, you might wish you had the 5"

I just scored a 25-2 6.5' blued, and wish I had an 8" Balance is very much a subjective thing, and you simply must try them to see which works for you. And then in a few years, it will all change. I built a 3" 25-2 snubbie just for kicks. Loved it, hated it, love it again. But only as a carry gun, not as a competition gun.

Another vote for "try-as-many-as-you-can". I have two 5" 625's. I like them, but they're the only revolvers I have, so I cannot compare them to anything.

The thing I like about guns with a longer sight radius, is that you can choose a sight picture you like. If you choose a gun with a short radius, you must have sights that produce a really tight sight picture (the front sight must fit the notch of the rear sight pretty tight) to make those hard shots.

I have two M29C's, one 5" and one 6.5". The 5" is very nicely balanced, the 6.5" has less muzzle jump and a longer sight radius. I don't rate one as better or worse than the other, I just enjoy shooting them both.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx guys, I went with the 4" and love it. Starting shooting IPCS with it and it is the BOMB DIGGITY :-) I can shoot IDPA with it later if I want. I think the 5" would of been nice too. Now to just smooth out that trigger pull...mmmmm