Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Indulgence Of The Forum

EricW

Sorry for the probable abuse of the classifieds with my yard sale. I would like to thank the forum members for their indulgence in letting me get away with my transgressions without flaming the crap out of me.

Off to school.... Now where did I leave my raccoon coat and propeller beanie...?

And you're keeping something to shoot the occasional match with, right?

Yup, I'll still have the two G19's. When I become a reel-live-injuneer I'm gonna save my lunch money and pick up a Benny Hill Special.

Eric,

What type of engineering are you studying? Just curious...

Electrical. The degree I should have pursued the first time if I'd have had my head out of my derriere. :)

That's good, there's a huge demand for EE's.

Yup. Surprisingly enough, there is zero demand for Physics majors who know how to set up and run an injection molding operation. :D

Welcome to the dark side Eric! Civil engineers build targets, mechanical engineers build weapons, electrical engineers find the civil engineers for the mechanical engineers. It has always amazed me that when physics majors go for a different degree the majority go for EE. My microprocessor teacher had his doctorate in physics.

I'm obviously a EE, although now I'm considered to be a control systems engineer specializing high end motion applications and micro machining. I saw your web site, keep your hand in control systems, it's a good specialty. I own a systems integration company now and a third of a machine shop, but I started out doing engineering side jobs. You might wish to take some CAD classes if possible (AutoCad & Solid Works), they will expand your chances of finding side work while in school.

The injection molding industry is a weird one. One of my best customers (Gala) went from forcing me to expand to virtually no business due to over seas pressure. Every company I've ever dealt with in the injection molding industry was extremly cheap.

Every notice how EE's seem to make more money than ME's, until the ME picks up a good specialty?

Best of luck in your endevours.

The injection molding industry is a weird one. One of my best customers (Gala) went from forcing me to expand to virtually no business due to over seas pressure. Every company I've ever dealt with in the injection molding industry was extremly cheap.

Every notice how EE's seem to make more money than ME's, until the ME picks up a good specialty?

Best of luck in your endevours.

Thanks!

I'll be glad to see molding in my rear view mirror. What a bunch of flakes. Aside from automotive and medical, it's a dead industry in the U.S. - like a lot of manufacturing will be soon.

EE's here do extraordinarily well monetarily. The guys across the street from me at HP start at $80K out of college. It's scary. I don't give a crap about working for a big company or getting rich. I just want to work my own schedule and get to go play midweek if I feel like it. In fact, I'm not sure I ever want a real job again, but I know that the EE thing will really change my outlook, talent, and marketability for the better.