Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just started using my Dillon Electric Case Trimmer

I'm also relatively new to reloading. Just purchased the Dillon 1200 trimmer to use on my 550. Trying to get it set up, for use in reloading .223, .308, and 30-06.

Is there some reason one couldn't set up the trimmer with the following set-up?

Sta. 1: Deprime, resize, and re-prime.

Sta. 2: Trim

Sta. 3: Drop powder

Sta. 4: Seat bullet (assume no crimp).

Just an idea I had.....What am I missing here except not using a crimp in the final product?

In addition to the powder rod and the proximity of the trimmer to powder...

1. After depriming I run mine through the swager.

2. I like to clean mine again before loading to get the case lube off/out.

So.....You tumble the Primed Brass prior to powder/bullet/crimp?

I just shot my first 20 .308's today. They were pretty gummy from the lube. You think it's better to re-tumble the primed brass or the finished bullets? I'm guessing tumbling the primed brass would be better since the finished bullets could get dinged up enough to mess up trajectory.

I'm also relatively new to reloading. Just purchased the Dillon 1200 trimmer to use on my 550. Trying to get it set up, for use in reloading .223, .308, and 30-06.

Is there some reason one couldn't set up the trimmer with the following set-up?

Sta. 1: Deprime, resize, and re-prime.

Sta. 2: Trim

Sta. 3: Drop powder

Sta. 4: Seat bullet (assume no crimp).

Just an idea I had.....What am I missing here except not using a crimp in the final product?

In addition to the powder rod and the proximity of the trimmer to powder...

1. After depriming I run mine through the swager.

2. I like to clean mine again before loading to get the case lube off/out.

So.....You tumble the Primed Brass prior to powder/bullet/crimp?

I just shot my first 20 .308's today. They were pretty gummy from the lube. You think it's better to re-tumble the primed brass or the finished bullets? I'm guessing tumbling the primed brass would be better since the finished bullets could get dinged up enough to mess up trajectory.

Oops, I didn't explain myself well.

I don't re-prime the first pass through the 550. I size/deprime on station 1 and trim on station 3. I then run them through the swager. I tried running them back through the press the second time to load them without running through the vibrating cleaner, but when checking the weight of the powder charges I noticed that the powder was sticking to the case lube inside the case. So, after swaging, I run through the tumbler again to clean out any small brass trimmings as well as the case lube. I used clean, dry corb cobb media for that pass through the tumbler to help ensure that I get the case lube off.

On the second pass through the 550 I have a neck sizer that also cleans out the flash hole (would de-prime if I still had a primer there) in station 1. The other 3 stations are the normal powder, seat, and crimp.

BTW, I am by no means any authority on this...I got this setup from others more knowledgable than I on this forum and it has worked very well.

So you actually resize twice? the second time without any lube? I've already had some stuck case issues and I'm not interested in going throught that again.

EDIT: I'm guessing you don't resize the second time through the press; just prime the newly cleaned shell and move to the powder station? Don't mean to be a pain, but perhaps I'm not familiar enough with the entire process.

Edited by ppknut

The lubed case gets resized twice on the first pass through. Once by the sizing/depriming die and again by the Dillon trimmer. On the second pass through the 550 it is just a neck sizing die that resizes the inside of the neck on the way to clearing out the flash hole. I probably get almost 20% of the cases where it pushes out a piece of corn cobb or even a grain of rice (I use that mixture).

I deprime on a SS and tumble prior to prepping, I like clean brass to start with.

Using a 550, trim die/1200 in station #1, and a Lee resizer backed out a bit (to not change shoulder position) in station #3 to bring necks back up to desired dimension.

I tumble cases to remove lube, then hand prime off the press.

Loading toolhead has Lee Universal Flaring die in station #1 set to just kiss the case mouth and apply the slightest flare. This helps when seating FB bullets. Then powder, seater and crimper.

There are many ways to skin this cat, but this works well for for my .223 reloading.

Am happy with the Dillon trimmer. After running 223 brass through the sizing/trimming process on the press I tumbled it one more time to clean off any lube and debur any sharp edges. The only issue that I have now to deal with are small pieces of media stuck in the flash hole. Thinking that its best to run the brass through the de-priming die one more time. Rifle case prep is far more involved than pistol brass...LOL.

Am happy with the Dillon trimmer. After running 223 brass through the sizing/trimming process on the press I tumbled it one more time to clean off any lube and debur any sharp edges. The only issue that I have now to deal with are small pieces of media stuck in the flash hole. Thinking that its best to run the brass through the de-priming die one more time. Rifle case prep is far more involved than pistol brass...LOL.

A universal decaping die will remove tumbling media from the primer pocket and flash hole, and not rework the brass like a decapper/resizer.

jj

• 1 month later...

Does the trimmer resize well enough to be the primary size station? Is one tool doing two things doing too much? My current theory of 30-06 rifle production assumes the following.

A. Clean brass

B. Lube brass

C. Tool head A (XL650) - Note number of function is not tool head location. I assume that the dies should be located to try and balance the stress on the shell plate.

1. Universal Decap

2. Trim/Size brass

D. Swage out primer crimp with Super Swage

E. Clean brass to remove lube

F. Tool head B (Xl 650)

1. Universal decap (remove latent media)/Prime

2. Powder Drop

3. Powder check

4. Seat

5. Crimp

Many seem to use a second size die. If the second die is actually adjusted to size does that work the brass unecessarily? I am hoping the trim size unit is capable of providing a good enough job for standard range ammo. It seems reviews of the trimmer are positive. If it works as advertized what could be quicker or require less brass handling (other than buying pre prepped brass)?

I do both 223 and 308 with a 2 head setup, and use the Dillon Carbide sizer/decaper and the trimmer on the brass prep head. Because of the number of different chambers of 223 I load for I also use a Body die to bump the shoulder on the prep head.

When running the trimmer AND shopvac, I have to wear earplugs!!! :surprise: (or earmuffs with Ipod earbuds under...)

jj

Yesterday I returned a buddy's 1050 that he let me borrow with his trimmer attached. Over the past week I was able

to process about 3200 rounds of .223 brass; decapped/sized, swaged, trimmed/sized, tumbled and ready to load.

We generally start with range brass by washing with soap in a mortar mixer, rinsing in the same mixer, and drying

on a rack. That gets most all dirt off and out of the brass which allows processing before actually tumbling.

I generally tumble finished rounds also to get a nice, clean end product.

What!?!?! Doesn't everyone have a friend that will just un-bolt his 1050 from his bench and let you use it??? :bow:

Does the trimmer resize well enough to be the primary size station?

In essence the trim die is a full length sizing die.

The guys at Dillon's favorite 2-Toolhead trimming setup:

Full length size die in Station 1; trimmer in station 3 (using the 550 for this example).

(Since the case has been sized when it gets to the trimmer, the trim die doesn't add much "handle effort.)

Now the cases are deprimmed, sized and trimmed.

Tumble off the lube.

For the loading Toolhead, in Station 1, use the Universal De-capping Die, to remove any tumbling media from the flash holes.

Note that the cases are not neck sized for loading (because they went through the trim die after the size/neck sizing die. Because as previously mentioned in this thread, that doesn't matter. You'll just end up with a little more tension on the bullet.

be

Since the Giraud was brought up, I'll throw this in here. I had a customer who chose the Giraud over the Dillon because he was worried that the no-chamfering Dillon trimmer would be a problem. Giraud advertises the chamfering pretty hard - and since the Dillon doesn't - in the end he went with the Giraud.

But since we've heard from this thread that the non-chamfering Dillon doesn't actually cause any problems due to burrs, as long as the blade is sharp, to me, using the Giraud seems like it would add an extra step to the whole loading process. Because you have to run the brass through the press once, to full-length size the brass, then hand-hold-trim in the Giraud, the finish loading in the press. With a Dillon, you'd get the trimming done with the re-sizing.

And please understand, this isn't a Dillon vs. Giraud thing. Doug Giraud is a great guy (I've talked to him on the phone) that makes a great product. I've talked to a few guys who really know their stuff and they are big fans of the Giraud trimmer.

be

I have kicked around the idea of adapting the Giraud cutter to the Dillon power unit and having the best of both worlds. Maybe it's time to spend a few hours in the shop.

I guess the only reason I haven't done it already is that neither one will turn the necks...

Edited by jmorris

Full length size die in Station 1; trimmer in station 3 (using the 550 for this example).

(Since the case has been sized when it gets to the trimmer, the trim die doesn't add much "handle effort.)

Tumble off the lube.

For the loading Toolhead, in Station 1, use the Universal De-capping Die, to remove any tumbling media from the flash holes.

Note that the cases are not neck sized for loading (because they went through the trim die after the size/neck sizing die. Because as previously mentioned in this thread, that doesn't matter. You'll just end up with a little more tension on the bullet.

be

Thank you. I'll keep the 3 die 30-06 set on my wish list with intent that sizing die does its job and the trim size die is primarily for trimming.

• 2 weeks later...

Tumble off the lube.

be

BE Ready to order the 650 for a 2 head set up. Just one clarification on the 2 head set up. Should I order the 3 die carbide dillion dies AND the RT1200 and trimmer die? Can you walk me through the set up for both heads on the 650 please? Also any comments about using an RCBS lube die in the prep head would be appreciated. I heard about a guy using one and it seems to be neat to keep the lube off the casefeed assembly. Thanks

Edited by Texasredneck

Tumble off the lube.

be

Should I order the 3 die carbide dillion dies AND the RT1200 and trimmer die?

Yes.

Can you walk me through the set up for both heads on the 650 please?

That is outlined in this (quoted) post.

Also any comments about using an RCBS lube die in the prep head would be appreciated. I heard about a guy using one and it seems to be neat to keep the lube off the casefeed assembly. Thanks

I'm sorry but I don't have any info on that die.

be