Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Polishing

jessej

Jesse,

I did polish the throat of my SS Colt MK IV series 80 with a dremel. It had a felt-tip on top, and I used a slightly abrasive paste (the same that is used to polish watch glass).

It took some time to get the job done, but now it is mirror-like, and as smooth as the proverbial baby's skin. ;)

Good response so far (as usual from Skywalker). Here in the US, commonly Flitz metal polish is used - it takes off virtually no metal but will smooth things out. The technique I used was to plug the chamber w/ several patches & lightly clamp barrel in vice using the ramp to clamp on. Then I took a cleaned, fired case and wrapped it in the thinest cloth I could find - from an old dress shirt. I coated that w/ Flitz and worked it back and forth in the direction that the rounds will follow duringing fireing (into the chamber). It took forever so plan on mustering some patience before you start.

As for chamber polishing & more info on Flitz, do a Google.com search on Varmit Al's reloading pages (or something to that effect) for more info on polishing chambers. I have not heard of this having a noticeable effect on handguns - only on some ARs.

If you have a Dremel you need to find a Cratex kit. It includes several different "grits" of color coded rubberized abrasive bits in various different shapes and sizes. Depending on how rough your ramp is, you can start with a medium or coarse grit and work your way to the extra fine that will give you a mirror finish. As others have mentioned, remove as little metal as possible.

Good Luck,

Leo

I've used Flitz and it works fine. There's also a very similar product called Wenol that I've used and it works well. Both also work very well at taking black corrosion spots off of stainless steel.

Thanks for all the replies and information.

I am planning to use a rotary tool with a felt bit, the bit is shaped like a bullet.

Will also look into that Cratex kit, this is fun.

Gonna go to the local hardware store to see what they got. :D

PS Brian thanks for helping my buddy K.C. with his Dillon.