Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm. powder: N310 or N320 ?

Stefano

I shoot Production minor:

147 grs. RN bullets with Tanfoglio Stock 2, and sometimes 125 grs. TC with CZ Shadow ...

After several "test-groups" I've experienced some flyers with Vihtavuori N310: is it only my personal feeling or somebody else has experienced the same ?

I like 340 in my CZ with 115s or 124s. I am guessing that a longer more consistent push behind a quicker bullet is more accurate than a quick snappy inconsistent push behind a heavy slow bullet.

I shoot Production minor:

147 grs. RN bullets with Tanfoglio Stock 2, and sometimes 125 grs. TC with CZ Shadow ...

After several "test-groups" I've experienced some flyers with Vihtavuori N310: is it only my personal feeling or somebody else has experienced the same ?

I recall Angus posting that he got some poor results with some type of powder. Seems likely it was a fast version. You might find his posts with a search.

I recall Angus posting that he got some poor results with some type of powder. Seems likely it was a fast version. You might find his posts with a search.

IIRC, Angus noted that his most accurate load was a 125gr .356 bullet over a charge of N350 (in his SP-01). However, that load was harsh as hell, so he settled on N320 with the same bullet. Its not as accurate as the N350 load, but feels ever so much nicer, and ends up being faster to shoot...

Thanks guys,

about me, I defenetely prefer to trade a little less accuracy with a much more "soft" recoil (we haven't to shoot "bench-rest" with handgun ...) and my favourite load is now with N310: but I think that also N320 is a very-good compromise (and it seems to me that the groups are more tight ...).

I went to N-310 for my 147 grain Production loads (3.1 grains). I LOVE the way that it feels, but I started dropping some shots. Most of them were hitting high and going over the shoulder of the target.

I have read somewhere on here that one of the GMs had the same issue, hypothesizing that the gun was actually un-locking before the bullet exited the barrel.

I was shooting a "standards" course the other day with that load and was dialed in on the center of the lower A-Zone and shooting relatively slow (going for accuracy, as others had thrown a bunch of misses on the stage). All the rounds hit in a nice group, but in the upper A-Zone and B-zone.

I haven't had any pressure issues in my gun, but a buddy shot some of these loads and had a case head separation.

I am gonna burn up the 500 that I have loaded in practice and am going back to WSF.

Is there a 1:1 relationship between burn rate and load size? For example, two powders with same burn rate would be the same load?

I use Ramshot Sil and N340, same bullet and same PF. On the chart, these two have almost the same burn rate. My load for 340 is 4.8 and for Sil its 5.6. Personally, I like the feel of the Sil better. The gun comes back quicker and more consistent.

I just noticed the same as Shay1911 with the Ramshot Sillouette loaded to 5.3gr w/124gr MG bullet out of a tuned CZ SP-01 Shadow that belonged to a friend and the fiber optic on his gun whipped back into place quick.

I might have to look into that....

I shoot CZ's as well, I guess it also really depends on the gun. I spoke to Ramshot and Sil is supposed to be a low pressure high velocity powder. I don't pretend to know how that works:)

I shoot a CZ SP01 Shadow Mamba in PD (what else?!). I went from 4.8 grain VV N340 behind a 124 TMJ Speer bullet to 4.1 grain N320. OAL of both loads is 1.153", I use S&B brass and Federal 100 primers. PF for that load is 130 to 133.

I also own a 6" barrel version of the CZ 75 which likes .357 diameter 147 grain plated copper bullets best. In this case I load 3.1 grain N320, which is a very soft and accurate target load. OAL is 1.1"

In IPSC however I favor loads with the fast cycling 124 grain bullet even if it may recoil a bit snappier.

I stayed away from N310 cos it seems too hot for 9mm loads with lighter bullets. What I want to try is loading 90 to 100 grain bullets with a slow burning powder, like 3N37. Dunno if that powder is available in the US though.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried last Sunday my G34 in limited division (minor)

145 rn nickel plated

3.4 grs n320

9x21 cheddite brass

28.9mm AOL

AMAZING accuracy, I shot five charlies on the entire match, no misses, no delta.

In my G34 that is the combination with the lowest possible recoil I ever tried, other shooters were amazed from the lack of muzzle filp from my glock.