Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OK guys, I just got my 625 - almost ready for USPSA

DocAlamo

Hey guys,

Well, I finally got my 625 and I am ALMOST ready for a USPSA match in revolver. Carmoney, I could not find a 625 5" anywhere, so I found a good deal on a brand new 625JM. I remember you said it was a good gun for both USPSA and IDPA. I am so excited.

But, I find I now need a holster and moonclip holder. Here are my questions:

What holster should I buy for USPSA and which one for IDPA?

What moonclip holder(s) should I get for USPSA and for IDPA?

I understand that the holster for USPSA can be a race holster, while the IDPA holster has to be a regular, concealable holster.

Also, if I understand correctly, the moonclip holders are different in USPSA and IDPA.

I already have a demooner tool and will most likely invest in a remooner tool soon. I will also be buying a ton of moonclips from Ranch Products, unless there are better moon clips on the market? Thoughts???

Anything else I am forgetting?? I will use my CR Speed belt set up for USPSA and a regular gun belt for IDPA.

I will await the concenses from the sesoned members of this forum ... and will place my internet order hopefully on Monday or Tuesday.

There is an IPDA match locally here in Houston every Wednesday evening ... and there is not a USPSA match for a few weeks.

I will take the gun to the range tomorrow to throw a little lead down range.

Thanks guys, all the input I have received by reading these posts has really gotten me excited about revolvers. I don't think I have shot one of my bottom feeders for months!!

Doc

I don't shoot IDPA, so I can't give you any advice there, but for USPSA get the CR Speed Holster and the Speedy-Rack for your moons. The Speedy-rack is my choice, but a lot of guys swear by the North American moon clip holder. Both are good and secure when moving.

First, congrats on your new blaster. The thread title states that you're going to use this for USPSA but it sounds like you might shoot IDPA also? For IDPA I like the Comp-tac locking paddle holster www.comp-tac.com and the California Competiton Works 45acp moonclip holders. You could use both these items for USPSA as well.

I like the taste of the Bob Perdue kool-aid myself(North Mountain holder) It works great.

CR-Speed for the USPSA holster.

Any Kydex holster for IDPA. Just be prepared to have the finish removed from the gun from the Kydex.

Welcome to the club,

Tom

I'm getting my stuff together as well and I went with a Bladetech DOH so I'm using the same style of holster for Limited, Prod and Rev. Also went with a mixture of bladetech double moonclip holders and a couple of California comp works. Hope this helps

Congrats on the new wheelgun

I had thought about the BladeTech for IPDA ... just worried that the Kydex will screw up the finish on the 625JM. It is bead blasted, not regular stainless steel.

I most likely will end up with two holsters ... the CR Speed for USPSA and something else for IDPA. You can make the Blade Tech pretty loose as far as holding the revolver in place, so that might be a way to go.

I did not know the California Competition Works moonclip holders were IDPA compliant. Are they just as you buy them, or do they have to have a modification to make them legal?

Doc

I did not know the California Competition Works moonclip holders were IDPA compliant. Are they just as you buy them, or do they have to have a modification to make them legal?

Doc

The regular California Comp 625 holders are not IDPA legal. You can make them legal by adding a post to the center that protrudes through the moon clip or modifying the plastic center by grinding it so that the plastic sticks through. I just use the 7 round holders that already have a post that sticks through. I actually prefer the 7 round holders anyway.

I found a KyTac RevoQuik in the Classifieds the same day as I made the deal on my 625. I really, really like it. It is IDPA legal. I myself would not pay through the nose for a race holster like a CR Speed when I also have to have a different holster for IDPA. I also don't believe a race holster is going to actually significantly help me at this point. I've got some fundamentals to work on first. After seeing the North Mountain in action, that is definitely the way I'm going.

If you're worried about the finish of your gun, you're in the wrong damn sport!

I also recommend "Carmonization". My 625 used to be Carmoney's backup, and it's slicker than snot. After working the trigger on a new 625, there's absolutely no comparison.

I shoot both sports. To get going with the least amount of cash outlay, start with a holster. If you buy a Kydex holster from Mike Benedict at Talontactical.com you will not be disappointed. Current price on the web site is $60 and Mike usually gets them to you in 10 days or so. I have used his product for some time and have referred them to my intro to IDPA students and all have been happy. The 4" Straight drop will work for IDPA and will be OK to start USPSA. Mike is an IDPA supporter and Master class shooter. Nuff said??

For Moon clip holders, the Shoot the Moon holders with the center post are approved. Post must protrude the clip so make sure you get the right ones. Tom at MoonClip.com has them and Tom Supports us so we should in turn support him Right??

Now, when you want to move to a speed holster, I recommend the Speed Sec Holster and would order it from Chuck at Shooters Connection holster Guess what, Chuck supports us too. (Are you getting the drift of my recommendations ;) )

The speed sec will work well for the 4" and will work with a 5", 6", 10" if you have one with no adjustment.

So, now you have that fancy new race holster. Get a CR speed belt. Chuck sells those too. When you want to add a hi tech moon clip holder, you can decide about the Speedi rack or the North Mountain. I use the North Mountain and have not tried the speedi rack so I am a little limited on that but Bob supports and participates in this sport so hands down I recommend the North Mountain holder.

So, there you have it. I don't know as much as most here and you get what you pay for for advice but you asked so I wrote. Edit to add: This is what I did to my 4" Miculek 625

6inch625001.jpg

Best regards,

Gary

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

First thing you need to do is send the gun to Mike and have it"Carmonized". You will see a world of difference in the action.

Aargh, I don't know how many times I've wished I live in the U.S., or that Carmoney lives here in the Philippines, just so I can send him my 625 for "Carmonizing!" :bow:

Sorry for the OT... carry on guys...

First thing you need to do is send the gun to Mike and have it"Carmonized". You will see a world of difference in the action.

Aargh, I don't know how many times I've wished I live in the U.S., or that Carmoney lives here in the Philippines, just so I can send him my 625 for "Carmonizing!" :bow:

Sorry for the OT... carry on guys...

If I ever visit the Philippines, I'll bring my stones and the ol' dremel! :D

I agree with the others on most points.

I started with a blade tech type kydex holster and I lked it. nice and fast for a holster of that type. My brother uses it now that I have a CR speed.

I have used CCW moon holders as that was what came with my gun when I purchased it. I have since been using Bob Perdue's North Mountain Moon Clip Holders. They are great. My son "Little FFL" uses on and he likes it as well.

I don't shoot IDPA and could not tell you what equipment to use for that "sport". I currently shoot USPSA and ICORE.

Good luck

David

Guys,

All the input has been fantastic.

I have never shot an IDPA match, but there is a local club not far from my house that has a match every Wednesday evening. I thought it would be good practie for the 2 or 3 USPSA matches I could attend in the Houston area. I know they are totally different games, but I just love to shoot!!

I have taken the advice and have been in contact with Mike Carmoney. He will probably be getting my revo soon. I want to shoot it a little bit more before I send it in for a complete makeover!

By the way, I went to the range with it on Sunday and really love the gun. The ammo I got to shoot was worthless ... it was Mag Tech. There was a lot of unburned poweder in each case! It really gummed up the gun.

Got rid of the remaining boxes and fired about 100 rounds of WWB through it. Much cleaner, but I really had to clean the gun when I got home.

I am not set up to reload yet, but that will be rectified shortly.

So, I think I will go with the Blade Tech DOH for a start. I use this for my Production GLOCK and like the rig. I am no where near the caliber shooter to be worrying about a race holster yet (note operative word is YET!!). Decided I really like the North Mountain moon clip holders. I already own a CR Speed belt.

So, I need to get Mike to set up the revo for competition, and just practice, practice, practice.

Everyone here is so great. I hope to meet some of you in person at a match or two.

Dr. Bill

Guys,

All the input has been fantastic.

I have never shot an IDPA match, but there is a local club not far from my house that has a match every Wednesday evening. I thought it would be good practie for the 2 or 3 USPSA matches I could attend in the Houston area. I know they are totally different games, but I just love to shoot!!

I have taken the advice and have been in contact with Mike Carmoney. He will probably be getting my revo soon. I want to shoot it a little bit more before I send it in for a complete makeover!

By the way, I went to the range with it on Sunday and really love the gun. The ammo I got to shoot was worthless ... it was Mag Tech. There was a lot of unburned poweder in each case! It really gummed up the gun.

Got rid of the remaining boxes and fired about 100 rounds of WWB through it. Much cleaner, but I really had to clean the gun when I got home.

I am not set up to reload yet, but that will be rectified shortly.

So, I think I will go with the Blade Tech DOH for a start. I use this for my Production GLOCK and like the rig. I am no where near the caliber shooter to be worrying about a race holster yet (note operative word is YET!!). Decided I really like the North Mountain moon clip holders. I already own a CR Speed belt.

So, I need to get Mike to set up the revo for competition, and just practice, practice, practice.

Everyone here is so great. I hope to meet some of you in person at a match or two.

Dr. Bill

You can not use the DOH in IDPA

Doc

The regular California Comp 625 holders are not IDPA legal. You can make them legal by adding a post to the center that protrudes through the moon clip or modifying the plastic center by grinding it so that the plastic sticks through. I just use the 7 round holders that already have a post that sticks through. I actually prefer the 7 round holders anyway.

I just found out that California Competition Works now sells the 6 round 45ACP holders WITH an IDPA Compliance Device built in, which of course, now makes them the ones to get. It is on their website.

Take care,

Dave

Welcome to the land of the wheel!!!!

I shoot Revo. in USPSA and IDPA (about 25 - 30 matches a year) Probably 80/20 IDPA over USPSA-- just because of the proximity to more IDPA clubs.

I strongly suggest if you are going to shoot both on a regular basis... buy a good kydex holster that is IDPA legal. (Sidearmour, Blade Tech, Readytach etc) and use it for both "sports".

In a ten stage match of either type you will have probably 9 draws... maybe less.....using the same rig to be consistant will benefit you more in the long run than the .00005 seconds you will save per draw using a speed rig for the 8 or 9 draws in a USPSA match.

I won a couple state USPSA matches, one regional, and one Revo. high over all last season using an IDPA legal holster.

Edited by MichiganShootist

Thanks to everyone who has replied. It has been most helpful.

I have ordered the Blade Tech holster with the Sting Ray belt attachment. I already have a DOH attachment that I could put on the rig for USPSA if I wanted to. This way I will only have one holster for both IDPA and USPSA.

I ordered the moon clip holders from TK Custom for IDPA use. Rather than string six or so on my belt for USPSA I plan on buying the North Mountain moon clip holders for USPSA.

Have been shooting my revolver and intend to have Mike make it wonderful.

My bottom feeders are beginning to feel like orphans!!!

Dr. Bill

Blade Tech makes a very nice holster and I use one for competition. I got mine years ago for IDPA and all was fine until they made that "light through the belt tunnel" rule. I overcame that dilemma by taking out some of the screws and converting it to a paddle holster. That way it holds the gun much closer and tighter to the body and I find it gives me a much more consistent draw.

I used the original California Competition Works moonclip holders but IDPA grew to disdain them also. (Do we see a trend here?) So I removed the plastic inserts and screwed in a piece of dowel. That setup did prove to be much faster and more consistent. I also tried the TK holders but they kept coming off the belt along with the moonclips.

It's funny how all my IDPA legal gear is stuff I never use on the street. The Blade Tech is a great holster but simply can not be concealed. My dowel converted holder allows the rounds to rattle and is not as secure as the original CCW holder. I have quit IDPA for good but I find my equipment is perfect for USPSA. I never liked holsters and holders that stick out from the belt and liked to keep everything as close as possible. Now I am trying to quit Production and go back to the revolver.

Dave Sinko