Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti/svi Grip Reduction

lucas

who really does a grip reduction?Some time back a company ,who is out of business now called smoking hole did a 45 sti for me on my grip,so when i went to a svi 40 cal i sent that one in also, and there is no dought that the the first sti 45 i sent in is much better feel as my middle finger folds around the grip.Its obvious he did more on the first one than just cut up under the trigger guard as i suspect was only done on my second grip explaining the difference. :D

There's not much that can be done to reduce the grip size (without altering the frame) other than cutting under the trigger guard, rounding off the corners on the front strap and scooping some plastic off the top diamond of the shooting hand. The plastic on the grips is so thin that it's dangerous to grind too much off. My hunch is that they paid more attention to one of the above details in the first gun.

I've seen some very radical reduction on SV and the likes grips. I think rounding the edges and giving it that soldering gun stippling effect is good, but I've shot one that actually had sand or aluminum oxide glued on the grip surface. That was super on the grip, I just don't know how good it will last once it gets dirty. I think it can be washed since it looked so durable. I wonder why SV or S+I just replace their mold to melt down the sharp edges and give it an all around stippling. I suppose the gunsmiths will lose some work if the molds change. Josh

Josh,

The molds are expensive. I once heard that the cost was so large that SV & STI shared the same mold. Don't know how accurate that is but I can see it.

On my last grip I had done for my steel gun, the grip was sanded completely smooth, and then re-textured. It is as small as can be. The only problem is that if you grip it tight, the mags will not fall. Fortunately, if I need to do a mag change, I have bigger problems than that :angry:

BTW, I have seen several grips done by Smoking Hole and they all are super.

LUCAS,

I'de have to second Nates suggestion. I had Jim do a grip for me and I picked it up at area 4 last weekend. Man, he does great work. The grip is smaller in overall size and undercut perfectly. I would highly recommend his work. On another note: I just recontoured a STI grip myself for the first time and am just as pleased with it, maybe even more so since i did'nt have to spend $170 for it. It was very easy to do and only took about 1 1/2 hours to do. I have small hands and wanted to reduce the overall size of the grip as well as undercut the trigger guard area. All you need is a Dremel tool ( preferablly high speed and with the flex shaft attachment), a fine drum sander bit and a soldering iron with pointed shaft. I'ts a delicate process becuase you don't want to dremel out too much. I used the dremel to remove all the checkering down to a point where I just could still see their outline to use as a guide for the stippling. If you are very carefull you can retain the diamonds and the STI/SV logo as I did. And also, I would like to give credit to the forums for giving me confidence to try this myself. If you are intrested? I can send you a picture to your email. Hope this helps some. And don't be afraid of the do-it-yourself method. Look at it this way, if you like what you end up with you saved $170 and if you don't and have to buy one well your out the same as you would have been if you had'nt tried.

Best,

RS

Jim Shannahan does REALLY good work on the grips. Not only does he reduce them, but he puts an great undercut on them (under the trigger guard) that really lets you get a high grip on the pistol. He also is doing arched mainspring housings to go with the grips if that is something you like. I will definitely have him work the grip on my next pistol. Later,

Jack

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks Erik,

I took a dremel tool and removed all the checkering and reduced the overall grip size. Then i took a standard soddering Iron and reshaped the tip to resemble the point of a nail and filed the tip flat(just a little). Keep the rows of stipples in a straight line one row at a time from top to bottom. Just be careful not to go very deep. This type of grip is very aggresive. It will not slip in your hand, even when wet. I also was impressed with the look you achieved with your grips and was wondering how you did them. Maybe you could share your tips? Thanks for your comments!!!!!!

By the way Erik,

Have you had your gun hard chromed yet? I just sent mine to "Metaloy" wednesday and Steve said I should have it back by the end of next week. Fast turn around and you can't beat the price ($130 and that includes 2 day return shpg)!!!! When you get yours chromed, I'd really like to see a picture. I'll post mine when it gets back.