Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which DPMS AR10?

jobob

I recently won a $500 certificate from DPMS, so it's giving me an unexpected opportunity to spend money! I have several 223 ARs, so I'm thinking of getting one of the heavy caliber rifles, but I'm in a quandary as far as which model and caliber. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1. I'm leaning toward the .260 because the 6.5mm bullets are flat shooting and so good at retaining velocity and energy, but the 308 is a great round, and ammo is more available. Would there be any other advantages in going with the .308?

2. DPMS has several models in both calibers. I'm leaning away from the 24" bull barrel 11 lb. model. The lightweight version with an 18" barrell at 8 lb. sounds like what I'm looking for, but I'm concerned that it may be too light for long strings in a match. The light version also could double as a hunting rifle. There are some intermediate models that are a compromise weight, at 10 lb. still heavier than I want, but if I opt for a fluted barrel the weight could be reduced somewhat.

3. Is cryo treatment worth the extra cost?

4. Tactical scopes: My budget is limited. I'd love to get a top end Leupold MK4, but it's probably out of the question. I can swing the MK2. Does anyone have experience with this scope? How does it compare to the MK4? Any other scopes in the well-under $1000 range worth considering?

I don't think this rifle will replace my 223s, but it should be fun to play with and to shoot in an ocassional long range match.

That's about all the questions I can think of for now, but I reserve the right to ask other stupid questions, or make equally inane comments at some unspecified time in the future! Thanks for your help! :)

Opinions only.

1. Go .308 so you can shoot Heavy Metal division if you want. Throw on some irons and you would be good to go.

2. I like the 18" barrel and would go with a light one if possible.

3. Cryo is nice but not needed in my opinion. Spend the money on a trigger upgrade.

4. This will sound weird - Mueller Tac II scope. I have had one since I was sent one just past the prototype stage. Very nice scope for the money. Not saying it is as nice as the Leupold, but if it can be seen and hit with a Leupold, this scope will do it also. I have mine mounted on an Armalite one piece mount. Take it off for Heavy Metal division, slap it on for hunting season.

With good ammo. (Fed. 168 match) this setup will stick with, or outshoot, most factory bolt rifles out to 500 yrds. (that is the farthest I have shot mine).

YMMV

A lot of the decision-tree depends on what you're going to do with it. For example...

-- if it is going to be used in multigun matches, that drives a couple of factors. As another poster mentioned, you'll probably want to do it in .308 in order to qualify for heavy-metal. You'll probably want to have it be "handier" to carry and maneuver through a course of fire, which means you'll probably want it to be a shorter/lighter barrel (18" or thereabouts). And you may want to consider things like collabsible stock, and compensator vs. flash-hider.

-- on the other hand, if it is going to be a "precision" rifle, that may drive other choices. The .260 has much better ballistics at distance (the .308 sorta drops like a shiny rock past about 600 yards), so it may be a better choice for caliber. And you may want to go with a longer/heavier barrel, no front-sight tower to get in the way of optics, maybe a solid stock with raised cheekpiece, etc, etc.

-- varmint rifle? truck gun? plinker?

Think through what you want to do with it. That'll drive a lot of the decisions.

$.02

B

Thanks for your responses!

I think I'm maybe trying to do too much with the one gun. I want a long range precision rifle, a major caliber 3-gun rifle, a hunting rifle, and a heavy metal rifle, all in one! This needs to be narrowed down a bit. I'm pretty happy with my ARs for 3-gun, so a major cal rifle isn't really needed.

I would like a better long range rifle than my .223s, especially for the matches like the long range event at Ironman. Last year I used my 20" Bushy with a 6-18x Buckmaster scope on top. It worked very well, but I lucked out in that I shot the stage on a calm morning. Had there been wind those 69 gr. Sierras may not have found the 630 yard plate. For this the .260 would really be the cat's meow. And if this was all I wanted the 24" bull barrel would be great, after a couple of guys would help me lug it to the bench rest!

Being able to shoot heavy metal once in a while is a consideration. Wish that wasn't limited to 308. If legal, the .260 would be great for that, too.

The .260 and .308 are near equal as hunting cartridges. As range increases the .260 would have the edge, though. It would be great for antelope!

I really like the light version of both the 260 and 308. It's my preference, unless I weigh the decision toward the long range precision rifle. Then I'd want a compromise and go for a heavier fluted barrel, I guess. Looks like I'm leaning toward 2 rifles! Yeah, tell it to the wife!

For the scope, I just can't bring myself to consider a $150 scope for this rifle. I'm sure that Mueller works well for you, Brian, but I'm just afraid a cheaper scope may let me down at just the wrong moment. I do like saving money, and I really like the little Weaver 1-3 scopes I have on a couple ARs, but this rifle just seems to call for something more. I'm kinda looking at the Nikon Monarchs. They seem to be great scopes for the money. But then, there's Leupold....!

Such a delicious quandary! ;)

Have you seen the new rifles built by DPMS? I just received their new catalog. The Panther LR-308L and the LR-260L just might work. They have 18" barrels, custom comps, an adj. JP trigger and it weigh in at 7.9lbs. The cost is $1499 and the wait time is aprox. 6 months. Hope this helps.

Have you seen the new rifles built by DPMS? I just received their new catalog. The Panther LR-308L and the LR-260L just might work. They have 18" barrels, custom comps, an adj. JP trigger and it weigh in at 7.9lbs. The cost is $1499 and the wait time is aprox. 6 months. Hope this helps.

Yeah, I've been looking at those. They'd be the ticket for most of my applications. I was wondering, though, if the lighter barrels might cause bullet impact shift as the barrel heats up. They say that cryo treatment would take care of that, though.

I know about the wait, too. I don't really expect to get whatever I order anytime this year!

Get the 24" heavy stainless barrel version, send it to Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports and let him doctor it up for you. Something like: cut the barrel down to 20 or 21 inches, reprofile it down some to take some weight off, rolling Thunder comp, carbon fiber free float handguard, JP gunsmith fit fire control group, and lighten the carrier some. Takes that 11+ pound rifle down to just over 8 lbs and will cycle incredibly fast and recoil maybe a little more than an AR without a brake.

This is the route he and Merlin suggested to me and I was all set to do until I sold the rifle in a fit of stupidity. And it's somewhat Merlins fault for not picking it up when he was in town and bringing it to Benny. If he had then I wouldn't have been able to sell it. So yeah, it's Merlins fault. Big goober head. <_<

That sounds like a great plan. Unfortunately I don't think my funds will allow it. I'm stretching things a bit as it is. I'm really looking at the LR260H now. With optional fluted barrel and carbon fiber forend to reduce weight. Replace the flash hider with a decent comp and I'd be pretty good to go.

I have pretty much decided to not skimp too much on the glass, though. I'm thinking now of going with one of the lower cost Leupold Mk4s. Maybe a 3.5-10x M1. On the reticle, is the Leupold tactical milling reticle that much better than a standard mil dot? Looking at all the tiny lines on the TMR it may be difficult to use in any kind of reduced light. I think I'll pass on the illuminated reticle. Adds weight and just not needed for my perceived uses. It also adds more things that can go wrong and I believe in the KISS principle.

I was hoping to here from you, Pat! Since DPMS told me that they are 17,000 rifles behind on orders, I think I have time to cogitate a bit!

I was thinking 308 for Heavy Metal, too, but since I'd then have to get beat up by my 870, I'm pretty much ruling that out. 260 seems the way to go for me. I'd like to play with a flat shooter like the 260, and besides, it fits with my contrarian attitude!

On the other hand.....!? ;)

I'm really looking at the LR260H now. With optional fluted barrel and carbon fiber forend to reduce weight. Replace the flash hider with a decent comp and I'd be pretty good to go.

I am waiting for a gun just like you describe! Hopefully it will arrive here in a few weeks. Ordered it almost a year ago...