Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 226 Elite

ammowaster

I voted for the alloy version only because I like a lighter pistol. I have a P226ST and an alloy P226. My transition times with the alloy P226 are faster than the P226ST transitions. With proper lubrication, an alloy P226 frame should hold up just as well as the stainless steel frame. My one recommendation would be to get a two tone P226. In my experience the Nitron coated slides can do damage to the frame rails, especially with inadequate lubrication.

One last comment. At this point, the Elite series have not been approved for use in USPSA. My understanding is SIG Sauer is working on the approval process.

Production Gun List

mattk

Edited by HuskySig

I dont have any experience with the stainless version P226, but I don't feel disadvantaged with my alloy pistol. It has a tungsten guide rod in it that changes the balance slightly. I'm not personally looking for more weight than a Sig alloy P226.

Damn,

I was looking at the IPSC production list which they have been added to. Is it safe to say they will be added or should I wait some more.

I say alloy, because the stainless framed guns are really heavy. I mean really.

:)

CZ SP01 41.6 ounces Unknown if this is with or without mag

226 Elite 34.2 with mag

Elite Stainless 42.2 with mag

It is right there with the CZ which everyone likes. I shot my friends 226 Elite Alloy this weekend and it felt pretty good. If I had the money I would buy both but I am not that lucky

Is it safe to say they will be added or should I wait some more.

I'd be willing to bet that SIG Sauer will get their Elite series legal for USPSA Production soon. In all honesty, at the local level no one is going to give you any trouble. I'd be a little bit more cautious about shooting a Level II, and above, match with a non-approved pistol.

As for the weight, it's a personal thing that you're going to need to decide for yourself.

mattk

My experience is kind of limited with the sigs. Several years back I bought a 229 in 40 and liked it so much got another one for a backup gun. I shot some informal matches and steel plate shoots but this was primarily a carry gun and for that purpose I found it ideal.

Since I am getting into the competition more and more I figured I should get a dedicated gun that was better suited to the task and to save wear and tear on my 229's.

Last weekend I got to shoot the Alloy version and it was a very soft shooter compared to my guns which was to be expected. If I could find a stainless one around to shoot that would be ideal but I am not getting my hopes up.

Zach

I say Aluminum framed Elite. I have an older W. Germany P226 that shoots very well and hits POA with most anything I put in it. I bought and just sold a P226ST thinking it would be a lot softer shooting due to the weight. Well, it was heavier but didn't seem to have any less muzzle flip and I felt like the lighter aluminum framed 226 handled better! I think with the new SRT trigger and a few rounds on the action and you'll like either, but, the lighter gun is my preference. One other piece of advice. Before you spend big bucks on a holster, try an Uncle Mikes belt or paddle holster. I just picked one up for the ST as my Comptac wouldn't fit the railed pistol. The Uncle Mikes fit the rail and the belt model is only $15. Good luck!

Edited by jsneff

I have shot and carried an alloy frame P226 since 1989. It has been my duty pistol, and used for USPSA Production and IDPA SSP.

I no longer am LE so the weight on my hip is no longer an issue. And I gave up on IDPA, partly because of rules and partly because it got too boring. So Production is

my main use. Therefore I recently got a SIG X5 AllAround in 9mm. Way heavier than my other P226 alloy and it makes a big difference. I can shoot the X5 much faster and

more accurately than the Alloy P226. Sight picture isn't that big of a deal but the added weight of the X5 (or any stainless vs alloy SIG) softens the recoil a lot and

gets me back on target much faster.

If you want it for competiton, go stainless and take advantage of the weight. I don't think anyone would bother you about the Elite not yet on the list. Every other SIG is. It will be too. It just takes time. Besides, if they hassle you , it's because they are jealous........... ;)

Craig

I really liked the all arounds but hesitated too long and they went and discontinued them. I really wanted the X5 tactical with a DA/SA trigger but those dont really exist in the states in any real number I gave up on it.

It is all a timing thing. I have been keeping my eye out for a stainless 226 because they are still popping up here and there.

I really liked the all arounds but hesitated too long and they went and discontinued them. I really wanted the X5 tactical with a DA/SA trigger but those dont really exist in the states in any real number I gave up on it.

It is all a timing thing. I have been keeping my eye out for a stainless 226 because they are still popping up here and there.

You can still find the X5 All Around in 9mm if you search. 40s are even more plentiful. I know- I just got my new 9mm 2 weeks ago.

The 9mm are pulling higher prices than the 40s but I already had a box full of 226 9mm mags so it was a simple choice for me.

Plus I don't own any or reload for 40 cal.

Craig

I wish I had known that the Sig X5 AR was prod. legal...I want to take back my vote for alloy and write in a vote for the X5 AR.

I must not buy another X5

I must not buy another X5...sorry for the drift but

So low and behold I am surfing gun broker yesterday a a stainless 226R is on there with one bid and one hour to go.

It was at 700 with a buy now at 795. I thought about how much I wanted to spend and put in 725 as my max with ten minutes left

I won the auction with a bid of 712+30 shipping no charge for credit card. Done deal

It will be at the dealer here tuesday.

If I suddenly get rich I might buy a Elite later but it will be a while.

Thanks to everyone who replied!! I appreciate it