Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10 m Air Pistol

BigDave

Now that I have a dry and unfinished basement, I have more than enough room for 10m air pistol range.

Does anyone here participate in matches or just shoot this stuff on their own for fun? I'm not looking to get a full-tilt Olympic outfit. I'm thinking of something like the IZH46M or Gamo's Compact? Can anyone recommend something different? What about vendors? I've shot the side event at Bianchi with Pilkguns a few times and they seemed cool.

TIA

Pilkington is a prime source. Unless you have something local I would go with them. Also check their used guns.

Airguns of Arizona is another place to look. Sometimes they have some used things for 10 M.

IZH is a fine pistol.

http://www.pilkguns.com/entrylevelap.shtml

If you want an upscale 10M pistol this is the one to get, this or the LP10, which is a single-shot.

http://www.pilkguns.com/steyrlp50detail.shtml

A 10M pistol is a great idea.

I went with Pilkington and got a Steyr LP-1P. He was great. Even sent me two grip sizes so I could pick the right one and send back the one that was too small. As for matches, I did the The Nationals once, and did a regular monthly postal match for a while. But lately, I haven't shot it at all.

For more info, www.targettalk.org is a great forum (sponsored by Pilkington Equipment).

Big Dave,

An inexpensive way to go is DAISY. Gil Hebard Guns' carry them. My recall is that they currently make the 747. At one time they also had a 717 and another one. I think the 717 was the entry level gun, very accurate decent trigger but not adjustable. The next level the 747 had adjustable trigger (both have adjustable sights) and I think a Walther barrel. The higher level ? # also had wood grips and better adjustable sights. BTW they are all pneumatic single pump guns. A lot of nonbang for the money. The low and mid level guns should be under $200.

The Steyr is a terrific gun but with tanks or pump and other dodads $1700 - $2000. The Pilk Guns was a sponsor for years at the Cup, but it is my understanding that they will not make it this year.

Any word on how our great AP supporter from Winamac, IN, Jim Reinholt is doing? He did much for a bunch of us over the years.

MJ :cheers:

IMHO, the Daisies suck. I just never had a great experience with the triggers and the grips and balance were awkward. If you want to minimize costs, go with Izh-46M; it's a far better deal for the money than the Daisies. They come with phenomenal triggers for the money, and even though the grips aren't great, they're better than the Daisies. They balance much better and the axis of the bore is much closer to the hand. The IZH gives up very little to my LP-1P; mainly adjustability in the trigger and having to pump it every shot.

Just my $0.02.

Dave,

I agree with mpolans and I would also steer clear of the Gamo Compact and Daisys', I have one and the kids really struggled to use it on their own. It loses power if you don't shoot it fairly soon after cocking.

I finally capitulated and bought something pre-compressed. If you have the money go with something Steyr, Benelli, Feinwerkbau. These are serious pistols and cost is comensurate. I bought a Rohm Twinmaster with spare air cylinder, scope mount and some other bits and it was not too hard on the wallet.

The main issue is getting a used dive tank and getting that filled and tested regularly. I use a small pony tank and that will fill my cylinders five or six times for a $5 air refill.

Co2 powerlet guns cost too much too run and the power drops off too quickly. I worked it out that my Rohm and air tank would be paid for in 10000 rounds with the difference per shot between air and powerlets, Co2 does not like the humidity here in New Zealand and the cylinders are way off the scale to get filled.

Don't rush into anything, and ask lots more questions.

Are you going to Bianchi??

IMHO, the Daisies suck. I just never had a great experience with the triggers and the grips and balance were awkward. If you want to minimize costs, go with Izh-46M; it's a far better deal for the money than the Daisies. They come with phenomenal triggers for the money, and even though the grips aren't great, they're better than the Daisies. They balance much better and the axis of the bore is much closer to the hand. The IZH gives up very little to my LP-1P; mainly adjustability in the trigger and having to pump it every shot.

Just my $0.02.

Famous air gun shooter and vendor Don Nygord offered the Daisy 717, 747 & 777 for years and he highly recommended them as a serious entry level air pistol. Yet again this may have been before other entry level competition guns were available.

This is from the PILK Guns website....

".... Powerline and later Daisy in the late 1970's produced a side lever cocking model that is still the best, in my opinion, choice for juniors or adults new to the sport - the model 717 family. The 717, 747 and 777 all share a long sight radius, and increasingly better barrels, sights, grips and triggers as they increase in price. The 717 entry level model is inexpensive to purchase, and the effort required to cock the pistol is not extreme. If anyone doubts the ability of these guns in a match situation, I personally have seen 550+ scores fired with a 717 right out of the box! "

Edited by Allgoodhits

If you cant go with something at the level of the LP-1/10/50 then pick up an IZH, they are a fine value and perform.

It's real easy to toss away a couple of hundred bucks on something cheaper but IZH is the value mark and competitive.

Just my $0.02.

Famous air gun shooter and vendor Don Nygord offered the Daisy 717, 747 & 777 for years and he highly recommended them as a serious entry level air pistol. Yet again this may have been before other entry level competition guns were available.

".... Powerline and later Daisy in the late 1970's produced a side lever cocking model that is still the best, in my opinion, choice for juniors or adults new to the sport - the model 717 family. The 717, 747 and 777 all share a long sight radius, and increasingly better barrels, sights, grips and triggers as they increase in price. The 717 entry level model is inexpensive to purchase, and the effort required to cock the pistol is not extreme. If anyone doubts the ability of these guns in a match situation, I personally have seen 550+ scores fired with a 717 right out of the box! "

Yeah, and I've personally seen Jerry Mickulek accurately shoot a double-action revolver as fast as a machinegun, but he is, by far, the *exception* and not the rule. It wasn't long ago the IZH could be had for only $250 (vs. $145 for the Daisy), even at the current $329, it's still worth it. The difference in quality between the top flight Steyrs/Pardinis/Morinis and the IZH is minuscule compared to the gap between the IZH and the Daisy.

If you're serious, call up Pilkington Equipment and see if they'll let you try both out to determine which you prefer.

Edited by mpolans

OK, this thread made me go dig out all my airgun stuff :)

I have both the IZH46 and the Tau7. Both guns are great to shoot and shoot FAR better than I am capable of.

I like the IZH, since its a SSP gun and you don't have to mess around with CO2 cartridges like the Tau7 uses. The IZH is also a bit more front heavy than the Tau since the spring and cocking handle extend almost to the muzzle. Both guns have great sights and are easy to adjust.

Both guns will shoot 1 hole all day long. I used JSB Match Diabolo pistol pellets in both guns and they work great.

Airguns of Arizona is a great store as well.

Now that I have a dry and unfinished basement, I have more than enough room for 10m air pistol range.

Does anyone here participate in matches or just shoot this stuff on their own for fun? I'm not looking to get a full-tilt Olympic outfit. I'm thinking of something like the IZH46M or Gamo's Compact? Can anyone recommend something different? What about vendors? I've shot the side event at Bianchi with Pilkguns a few times and they seemed cool.

TIA

Some of you guys kill me! In Big Dave's original post, he acknowledged the IZH46M! He asked for a recommendation of "something different"! He did not ask for a debate.

Just my $0.02.

Yeah, and I've personally seen Jerry Mickulek accurately shoot a double-action revolver as fast as a machinegun, but he is, by far, the *exception* and not the rule. It wasn't long ago the IZH could be had for only $250 (vs. $145 for the Daisy), even at the current $329, it's still worth it. The difference in quality between the top flight Steyrs/Pardinis/Morinis and the IZH is minuscule compared to the gap between the IZH and the Daisy.

If you're serious, call up Pilkington Equipment and see if they'll let you try both out to determine which you prefer.

Mpolans,

Should I forward your reply comments to one who made the comment? That being Pilkington Guns. The reference was a copy/paste from their website. Note the "............". Try decaf :roflol:

Edited by Allgoodhits

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody know anything about a Steyr LP-10?

Is getting compressed air still the same PITA it used to be, or have dive shops eased up on the "we won't fill a cylinder w/o a dive card" rule?

Is getting compressed air still the same PITA it used to be, or have dive shops eased up on the "we won't fill a cylinder w/o a dive card" rule?

The LP-10 is a great pistol. And glance over at the LP-50 for a 5 shot.

As for getting CA, it's been no problem at all. The Dive Shop we use also services a ton of paintball folks. We did buy the tanks there and told them what it was for, no dive card has been a total non-issue. Just give the local dive shop or paintball supplier a call and ask.

Edited by Viggen

Great gun. Once you are at that level it is pretty much a personal choice. If you don't want to mess around with a tank they sell very nice pumps that look like bicycle pumps except that you can fill the cylinders with them. 200+ bar is no problem although the heavier you are the easier it is to work the pump.

I was very fortunate when I was looking for my 10 meter pistol and ended up buying it from Don Nygord. I can't tell you how much help Don was helping me get started and giving coaching tips over the phone. He was also one hell of a shooter. I don't know if Don's wife still has the business going, but if so call her and see what she suggests.

I have no trouble having tanks filled with no scuba card. All of my tanks are permanently marked NOT FOR DIVING, AIR GUNS ONLY. Noone has ever refused to fill them.

I was very fortunate when I was looking for my 10 meter pistol and ended up buying it from Don Nygord. I can't tell you how much help Don was helping me get started and giving coaching tips over the phone. He was also one hell of a shooter. I don't know if Don's wife still has the business going, but if so call her and see what she suggests.

I have no trouble having tanks filled with no scuba card. All of my tanks are permanently marked NOT FOR DIVING, AIR GUNS ONLY. Noone has ever refused to fill them.

Larry's Guns in ME has taken stepped in for Don's business. He's a good guy.

http://www.larrysguns.com/

Don's web site has good shooting information in the "Notes" section. It is required reading:

http://www.nygord-precision.com/

I use the Hill pump for my Morini air pistol. It is easy to fill the cylinder when needed and not have to drive to get an air tank filled, however, if you shoot a lot or coach a team, it may be better to get one or two of the really big scuba tanks.

Ben

Are the repeating air pistols only legal for certain types of matches, or can they be used in anything that a single shot is legal for? There's so little price difference, it's hard to understand why not to drop the dime on the auto once you've committed to that class of pistol.