Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Ramp Cuts

joshua

How many types of barrel ramp cuts are there and which ones are the same? I know the Nowlin cut is different from the Wilson, and the second part of my question, is the Wilson frame cut compatible with the Barsto? If you could just group the barrels that are compatible for me that will be superb. Here is the list of barrels: Barsto, Wilson, Nowlin, Briley, Kart, OlyArms, Para Ordnance, Springfield, Clark, Limcat, Shueman, STI (did I miss any brand?). Josh

I too have Wilson and Nowiln barrels in different guns. The ramp cuts are the same . Square to the recoil shoulder. The Para is round to the recoil shoulder. I have 2 STI's, they are also square.

Bar Sto will do round or Square, your choice.

Bar-Sto will do it any way you want it. In the old days, they had their own ramp design, different from Wilson or Para. Sinc eht evolume went with those two designs, Bar-sto makes what customers want. I have a single stack Open gun with a Bar-sto of the old design ramp. If you're curious I could measure it. As I recall, it isn't compatable with either, and machining from the old Bar-Sto to any of the others was also a problem.

Basically, once a frame is cut for any ramp, that's it, you can't go back or switch to another design. At least not economically.

I have 2 open guns, and they have different ramp cuts due to their barrels being from different manufacturers. My problem is the frame on one of them is cracked (the better gun) and I can't figure out what kind of ramp cut I need to order for the frame I'm getting so I can install the top end on the new frame. What to do, what to do? Josh

Joshua, As stated above if you look and the ramp of your and see that the ramp looks flat with the two sides turned up it's a Wilson/Nowlin if it has a tapered groove down the middle. If that does not help you can email them to me and I'll take a look.

Just sent the pictures, I couldn't get the camera to focus correctly but it should give you an idea why I'm getting confused because the recoil shoulder it's squared like the nowlin/wilson cut. Could it be that the gunsmitch varied the cut on this barrel ramp? Josh

eerw, thanks for posting the pics. I suppose the Wilson/Nowlin cut will be fine on this barrel ramp, just don't know if the slight radius between the flats will hit the shoulder on the frame. Might as well investigate that area. josh

Also if I may add, it was the time when lower barrel lugs were breaking when I had this gun done and I believe the smith said the cracks were coming from Wilson/Nowlin type ramped barrels and the primary culprit was the sharp corner it had. I've also seen this happen on slides with ports lowered with sharp corners. If you think about it the theory is valid. Josh

there was a guy named chuck warner. i believe .that used to alter the wilson/nowlin cut to look like yours. he did this to radius the barrel lug and so that only one cut had to be made to the frame to fit the barrel. i have a bull barrel for a 38 super that he did and on the barrel hood it is engraved cwc. be very careful and make sure that your gunsmith knows how to measure everything before cutting the ramp in the frame. i would not get a pre-cut frame because if by chance you have a ramp that is altered then you will be in a position of replacing the barrel or getting another frame or welding up the frame bridge and recutting.

Joshua,

I would simply send the gun to J.L. Hardy .he does some of the finest 1911 work in the country and is resonable priced. He specializes in open guns and limetd guns .Thats all he does. If you can do it yourself go for it. but I suspect that a profesional is in order.

JohnNagel