Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blade Tech DOH

Hello, Have any of you guys who own the older DOH acquired another with the new hanger? If so how do they compare? The new one looks a little goody in photos but I have not been able to compare the two side by side in person. Thanks

\

James

Edited by james shanahan

Well all I have seen is the new one. It has all kinds of extra adjustment holes but they go from way too far forward to way too far back. with all those holes a setup that allows a smaller cant adjustment would be nice. Because the way it is now it might as well not have any cant adjustment.

Is this a production legal holster, I believe it is but it is all hard to absorb as a newbie, but it is the holster I am leaning toward and want to start out in production.

Thanks

Shaun

I like the old one better. The new one sits the holster a little lower, which is fine, but the piece of plastic that adjusts the width would pull out with a few draws letting my holster ride up on the belt. After I epoxied the piece in place, that hasn’t been a problem, but still I’d rather not have had to use the glue. And as another guy said, some cant adjustment would be nice.

Is this a production legal holster, I believe it is but it is all hard to absorb as a newbie, but it is the holster I am leaning toward and want to start out in production.

Thanks

Shaun

I thought the DOH wasn't a "legal" production holster, but I can't find anything other than the 2" ruling (gun to inner belt).

The DOH is legal for Production.

I have one of the original DOH's with the moulded loop, 2 that are several years old (call tyhem mid-series) and 3 new ones. The new holsters are better and the mid series can easily be adapted to the new hanger and either the Tek-Loc or the Stingray. I've also made tapered shims for mine so that I have a drop with a straight up-and-down offset.

Jim,

I have two.

1 - Has a round "hanger" with 3 holes (there is a 4th that was drilled for a forward cant that was never used). Comes with shim and hardware.

2 - has a square "hanger" with 4 holes. Brand new, in the bag with all original hardware.

PM me if you're interested.

I got my DOH in the mail today and just finished about an hour of dryfire practice with it. I'm new to the USPSA game, so keep in mind the following opinions are coming from someone w/out alot of competition experience. I'm not ready to turn right around and sell it on ebay, but I'm not totally happy with this holster.

Pros:

1) It's dropped and offset, which in theory should enable a faster draw (thats the main selling point for these right?). I didn't see a huge difference but Iv'e only practiced with it for an hour.

2) I live in the NW (which is why it matters to me), and I'll probably be able to shoot out of this holster while wearing a sweatshirt or other warm outer garment that isn't tucked into my pants, precisely because of the dropped and offset feature.

Cons:

1) The front sight channel is barely deep enough to accomodate the .305" tall Dawson on my G17. By "barely" I mean that the gun will fit in and out of the holster, but the front sight scrapes along the lower portion of the channel and grinds off thin kydex shavings when drawing. Granted, this problem will probably go away after enough material has been removed, and the .305" front sight is about as tall as they get, but they really should have thought of this by now given that this is a holster used primarily for competition.

2) The dropped and offset feature prevents me from getting a full firing grip the way I'm used to doing with my CompTac holster. Specifically, the plastic piece that drops the holster down creates a small void space between it and the gun. There is not enough room for my thumb to fit there in an angled downward extended position when initially grabbing the gun. I worked around this by holding my thumb parallel to the ground and sliding it down into the V shaped groove between the slide and the DOH plastic piece when drawing. It works but will take some getting used to. Maybe with the gun canted this might not be a factor, but...

3) As Joe4D already mentioned there are only 3 angle options for mounting the holster to the dropped / offset hanger. 1) Straight up and down. 2) Approx 30 degrees fwd. 3) Approx 30 degrees rearward. Some fine angle adjustment would be nice.

4) For retention, the holster uses the typical triggerguard indent that results in an audible "click" when holstering. On this BladeTech, it is a very large and fairly deep indent that is the same size (in area) as the triggerguard outline. If you tighten the retention screws such that the holster firmly grabs the gun, the holster can (and does) bind on the drawstroke, flapping the holster up and out from your hip before the gun breaks loose. If you loosen it so that the indent becomes almost a non issue on the draw, the gun feels a little loose in the holster and (IMO) you could possibly have a dropped gun at some point. There is a sweet spot for tension adjustment in there I'm sure, but Iv'e gotta say I like my CompTac's indent better. The CompTac uses a very small "button like" indent in the kydex near the bottom of where the triggerguard sits. It's just enough to hold the gun and yet allow a pretty slick draw.

I guess if I could mount my CompTac on the DOH hanger I'd have my ideal holster.

My .02

• 1 month later...
I got my DOH in the mail today and just finished about an hour of dryfire practice with it. I'm new to the USPSA game, so keep in mind the following opinions are coming from someone w/out alot of competition experience. I'm not ready to turn right around and sell it on ebay, but I'm not totally happy with this holster.

Cons:

1) The front sight channel is barely deep enough to accomodate the .305" tall Dawson on my G17. By "barely" I mean that the gun will fit in and out of the holster, but the front sight scrapes along the lower portion of the channel and grinds off thin kydex shavings when drawing. Granted, this problem will probably go away after enough material has been removed, and the .305" front sight is about as tall as they get, but they really should have thought of this by now given that this is a holster used primarily for competition.

2) The dropped and offset feature prevents me from getting a full firing grip the way I'm used to doing with my CompTac holster. Specifically, the plastic piece that drops the holster down creates a small void space between it and the gun. There is not enough room for my thumb to fit there in an angled downward extended position when initially grabbing the gun. I worked around this by holding my thumb parallel to the ground and sliding it down into the V shaped groove between the slide and the DOH plastic piece when drawing. It works but will take some getting used to. Maybe with the gun canted this might not be a factor, but...

My .02

When ordering you have to request a deep sight channel, which is what I had to do for my g34 since it has a tall front sight

and I hated the fact you couldnt get a full grip either, took alot of getting used to :(