Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Index finger Support Hand

Ah, but did it work better, or did the practise to make it work, make you shoot better.... :mellow:

In my case it wasn't the practise that made it better. I just forced myself to use it in the next match, the one practise session and the match thereafter. By the second match I was up by 10-15% of my usual score. For me it works....

• 4 years later...

[Note: Thread merged with existing thread on same topic. - Admin.]

Just wondering why you don't see the support hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard? It is mentioned briefly in Brian's book [pg38] but more it seems as "old school".

I just started shooting a 2011 style gun and have been playing around with changing my grip. I was surprised to find that having my support hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard felt pretty darn good - it seemed to allow me to get consistent contact with the support hand on the gun. Haven't really tried shooting much on the range with this style of grip and was wondering why you don't see this grip style anymore?

Appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Just wondering why you don't see the support hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard? It is mentioned briefly in Brian's book [pg38] but more it seems as "old school".

I just started shooting a 2011 style gun and have been playing around with changing my grip. I was surprised to find that having my support hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard felt pretty darn good - it seemed to allow me to get consistent contact with the support hand on the gun. Haven't really tried shooting much on the range with this style of grip and was wondering why you don't see this grip style anymore?

Appreciate your comments.

Thanks

For some there is not enough grip using the finger on the trigger guard. Simple example, take a 1x2 or broomstick and hold it with your index finger pointed the same as if you had your finger on the trigger guard. Now have somone move the stick. Then wrap your index finger like you were gripping a gun without the finger on the trigger guard and repeat having some one move the stick. You should get an indication as to which grip style best fits for controlling the pistol.

And then there's the concept of that grip making it easier to steer the gun side to side without intending to do so, i.e. finger tension affecting sight alignment and bullet impact....

IIRC, even Jerry Barnhardt who shot with that technique for years and may still do so, doesn't advocate it for anyone getting into handgun shooting now....

The problem with the index finger placed there is pulling the shot. Think of your grip as a team of players accomplishing one thing. In this case a solid "one piece" grip on the gun. It's little fast muscles vs big slow muscles. Little ones twitch. Bad for sight alignment. Big dumb slow ones don't. That's good for sight alignment. Make your grip a single big dumb, slow muscle. :)

Jim

Like mentioned by some GM's on a radio show, it's not a better or worse technique, it's just different and requires being conscious of what the implications of what one grip gives you and what the other does or does not. The grip on the triggerguard can't be all bad given Angus, Burner and Eric Grauffel all use it.

Rich

Burner does not advocate the finger forward technique. Even in the late 80s when I had a private lesson with him he was not teaching it. When asked why he still used it he replied that after so many rounds he simply chose to not mess with something that, for him, was working.

IIRC, even Jerry Barnhardt who shot with that technique for years and may still do so, doesn't advocate it for anyone getting into handgun shooting now....

Yep. That is what "the Burner" said on his tapes. And, he went on to point out that those that do put their finger up there...few of them do so in any way that gives them anythng for it. They just kinda hang it on there.

Ah, but did it work better, or did the practice to make it work, make you shoot better....

A late answer to four year old question:

It worked better, it wasn't just the practice that made me shoot better. You see, I had practiced the hell out of the thumb-over-thumb grip, too. ;)

It appears that if I have sufficient strength in my fingers and don't "twitch" my index finger when I'm shooting and pull the gun then it would be okay to use - but there are some very real watch out for's if a person was to go there.

I know it feels like I'm holding the gun higher up and more uniformly, possibly due to what was mentioned earlier in the post with getting a little more hand on the gun higher up - but that maybe all in my mind and that's not necessarily a bad thing if it gives me more confidence. But I did want to make sure I understood the pro's / con's before going down that path. I did notice that Eric et. al. appeared to have a finger on the guard but I didn't know if that was because of how they had their gun set up or ??

I had just started to shoot yesterday when I broke my extractor so I'm out of commission until I can get it changed out and then do some more experimenting with grip.

Thanks for everyone's comments much appreciated!!

Happy New Year!

Edited by Fergus

Try it live fire. Run some drills. Try it in a match. Then let us know what you find out.

I'll do that. I changed my extractor today as it was too cold to do anything outside [-31deg.C currently], but its supposed to warm up this coming week so I'll be able to get out and try live fire. First match is Jan 18th. My only concern right now is with how fast the gun is going to return with the finger out front on the trigger guard - I'm not "caming" my wrist very much.

But all a person can do is experiment and see what works for them. Stay tuned.

:mellow:

Well the experiment went down in flames today after about 150 - 200 rounds.

With the support hand index finger out on the trigger guard the gun moved around noticeably more and I seemed to end up bringing it back down just to the left of the A zone.

But all was not lost; I did modify my grip sequencing, bringing my support hand palm into firm contact before "clamping down" with the fingers of both hands. This allowed me to get the support hand a little higher up on the grip and what feels to be a overall firmer grip with out "crushing" the gun.

I figure I'll do a little draw / grip / dry fire practice and try the range again on the weekend. Always new avenue's to explore.

Regards!