Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nowlin barrel STI slide

cking

The Nowlin barrel said don't cut the top lugs your firing pin will be off center. This is my second nowlin/sti and I've had to cut the lugs a fair amount to center the firing pin, anybody notice that.

Also the STI slides with other barrels, same problem ??????

If you are new to fitting nowlin barrels, they will hit the slide on the sides of the barrel lugs instead of the top & have to be machined or filed on the sides of the barrel between the lugs. DO NOT cut the top lugs on the barrel.

Benny is right on the money. As long as the primer strike is in the middle third of the primer all is well. If it isn't in the middle third find out where the problem is, and odds of it being a barrel problem are pretty low.......

Hi ever great gunsmiths :)

my Nowlin barrel twists maybe .5 mm to the right when its about to lock up. when it locks up it twists to the left .5 mm. thus is centered when its in full battery

Is this a problem? sorry for the thread hijack its the same kind of barrel that was fitted recently

Benny, That's exactly what I found most of the filing was done on sides not the top between the lugs. Thanks for the spec on how much lockup.

IT is really great that accomplished Gunsmiths will take the time to talk to beginners and share their experiences.

Ron Powers one time talked to me almost for hour on phone detailing what he does to a new smith for tune up.

Again Thanks Benny!!!!!!!!

I just fitted a Nowlin barrel in my 6" top end and the round is not centered (vertically) perfectly, it is a little low indicating the barrel isn't going up into the lugs on the slide. The FP hit is a little off center but it fires every time as Benney and Howard have said. I did notice that it appeared that the barrel was hitting on the sides of the lugs not the top as Benny said but I was goign slow and decided to run it as is and see how it ran. It bugged me at first but I just put another 200 rounds through it Sunday bringing it up to just under a 1,000 rounds and every one functioned and went bang.

As I said it did bug me but after reading what Howard and Benny have said, I am going to leave it alone and shoot it.

Neal in AZ

post-922-1207151258.jpg

Edited by Intel6

The upper radial lugs, just measure how much the barrel lugs are engaging them when fully up. Press the barrel into the lugs but with it just forward where it can't engage, measure the depth of the top of the barrel from the top of the slide, then fully lock the barrel up and measure. The difference is your upper lug engagement.