Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Iron Sight Mouse Pointer

JThompson

Some of you know I have recently started to shoot production... I had a thought while thinking about dry fire and practice. This may be way off, but here it is.... I thought it might be good to find a mouse pointer in the shape of a properly aligned iron sight. My thinking was seeing that sight with every click of the mouse, might help acquire a sight picture faster. . I know it couldn't hurt, but could it help? Granted, it's another motion, but wouldn't it help when you are zipping your eyes around websites?

Am I all wet, or could there be something there?

PS I can't find a good iron sight pointer... if someone has a link I would appreciate a link.

JT

Edited by JThompson

Do you know exactly what your front sight looks like? In detail?

Could you pick it out of a line-up ?

Can you visualize it now?

I know a service pistol shooter who's service pistol has a front sight that was deliberately struck on the top left rear corner with a good ball peen hammer. The purpose was to bend the top most serration down on the left edge. This gave him a point on which to focus in great detail.

When he visualizes this sight he states he can see the imperfection exactly, its length, how is closes on the left side so that the top most ridge and the penultimate ridge meet about 3/64" from the left end. If he can see this clearly through out an entire five shot 25 yard string of timed or rapid fire, the group will approximate what the pistol will shoot from a ransom rest provided his trigger control is smoothly positive for each shot.

If Flexmoney's questions have you asking yourself "what is he talking about?" you may need to really look AT your front sight.

I guess we would have to build our own because I can't find anything. I would also like my sight if possible; maybe even have it animate some flip. A C-More version would be cool too. I did a little digging to find out how to build my own... doesn't look to bad. It would be cool to have a TSR that flipped up a small IPSC target now and again in different places on your desktop. It would have to run as always on top. You would click it and it could record you hits before disappearing. Hmmmm

Anyone care to take on the job?

JT

Edited by JThompson

Some of you know I have recently started to shoot production... I had a thought while thinking about dry fire and practice. This may be way off, but here it is.... I thought it might be good to find a mouse pointer in the shape of a properly aligned iron sight. My thinking was seeing that sight with every click of the mouse, might help acquire a sight picture faster. . I know it couldn't hurt, but could it help? Granted, it's another motion, but wouldn't it help when you are zipping your eyes around websites?

Am I all wet, or could there be something there?

PS I can't find a good iron sight pointer... if someone has a link I would appreciate a link.

JT

Very cool idea! I like it.

I'm sure it couldn't hurt.

CursorFX seems like a neat program for that.

Spook... I did made a quick look of CursorFX (free version) It looks like you drop in graphics for all the states. I would need to download the manual to be sure. I could prob get through it, but was hoping we had some script kiddies around here that might be able to knock it out in 1/10 the time. If not, I will download the $20 version and give it a go. We should be able to do any sight with the proper images.

I already did some preliminary on a cmore.

This is ruff, but I think it's doable... looks like some work though as you need to make a whole buttload of states for the cursor... all the states you mouse does need to be covered. This means you would have to do around 30-40 dif models. I want to look into whether or not I can sub in a few states and use the default for the rest

cmore.gif

Edited by JThompson