Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel install, Lug cutter or mill jig

want2race

"...whether 'tis nobler in the minds..." to use a lug cutter (brownells/wilson) or clamp it up in a Weigand style jig and mill the lower feet.

I've only used the lug cutter but now I'm considering getting the jig.

I have both and use the lug cutter.

The Weigand jig is a neat idea and works pretty good with bushing type barrels. It doesnt work with bull barrels due to the various profiles the different makers put on their barrels. The problem is the shape of the block that the barrel clamps into. Also, the jig is supposed to give you "repeatability", but I never could get it to repeat. As I recall, they claim that you can make a cut, take it out and do a trial fit, and then put it back in without loss of zero. I could never get it to do that.

I'm probably doing something wrong with it.

Anyway, I gave up on it and use a lug cutter and then final fit with files. Works good.

A mill is only as accurate as the setup. I can set a barrel up on a mill within a micron of where I want it and cut it within 2-3 micron of the target. It takes a ton of time to do right. The lug cutter cuts the barrel in the gun, that is what it needs to be cut to match so I eliminate some potential for problems and it will match the gun correctly that way. I can work it with files from there, and lap it in to a perfect fit in one third the time. Perfect, or perfect but takes 3 times as long? That is really what it boils down to for me right now.

I have some very basic drawings of a jig to do the lower lug cuts on a CNC that I have been thinking of making, set up would be as simple as indicating the barrel in by adjusting the jig, find the center of the link pin hole and run the program. Problem with it is there are VERY few of us with CNC capability so there is no marketability for the jig, and I will spend enough time making the jig to build a complete gun. A surface grinder with a wheel dressed to shape would probably be simpler yet....

EDIT: What I would really like is a .200" lug cutter......

Edited by HSMITH

Cut them without marks Matt! I'd like a .200" to cut the lugs within about .002" of where I will end up with them instead of .007-8".

Ha, show me how with that crappy little cutter :blink:

You are right that filing is a PITA.

Cut them without marks Matt! I'd like a .200" to cut the lugs within about .002" of where I will end up with them instead of .007-8".

I'm with you! I'd love a cutter that left only .002 to be finished with files!

I do it too Eric, but it is a bit of a guessing game unless you are very careful. I'd like the simplicity of a cutter that is close to the right size.

Matt, I might show you someday, but right now we'll leave it as an ancient chinese secret.....

I'm thinking shim stock between barrel and slide. Cut thin to fit in the groove. Reinstall barrel with holding fixture.

I'll just file to fit, I can't seem to do it without leaving the tool marks anyway.