Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Casefeeder dying?

I have an old RL1050 that I bought off of a friend (he bought it in 1993). It looks like m y casefeeder has started to puke. Its running slowly at "fast" setting and barely running at "slow". Sometimes it won't run at all and I have to turn it off and on a couple of times to get it to go. Does anyhone know if Dillon will sell me the motor to install myself? Will I have to return the whole unit to them for repair or will I have to buy a completely new unit? I am on the East coast so they are not open yet for me to call directly. I am in panick stage because my Section Championship is next weekend and I need to load ammo within the next couple of days as I have to build stages next week. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jack, have you adjusted the clutch on the shellplate? Might be loose and slipping all the time. Might also just need a good cleaning and clutch adjustment.

I thought about that and decided to check. I have removed the shell plate and the motor is barely working with no shellplate (no where near the way it was). At low speed the motor is making a "grinding/moaning sound". It really is struggling. It could be that the clutch was dirty, failed, and caused undo strain on the motor?

I looked at the schematics to see if there was a way to lube the motor. It appears that the motor does not transfer energy to the shellplate directly, rather there may be a belt or gear system that transfers the energy to the shellplate shaft. Maybe I am wrong? It is 15 years old and I am convinced that it has loaded at least 100K rounds if not more.....not to mention the number of rounds that have gone through it to feed my Casepro. :blink:

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Jack Suber

Order two of them and send me one as mine died too. Actually the new on I got feeds more reliably than the older design... I have a lot fewer "jams" where a case tries to go in side ways and gets caught up at the tube opening. :)

I have no idea what the lifespan of one of these motors is but is is a Long time.....

Jack,

Dillon will sell you a new motor. I had to replace one just as old as yours just over a year ago. Only mine completely died.

Thanks, Roger. Thats what I needed to hear. Now, I just have to wait a couple of more hours for Dillon to open.

Jack,

Check around in Columbia for a motor repair shop and have them go through your old motor to evaluate if a rebuid is not cost prohibitive. It would give you a spare.

Banks

Thanks, Banks. I'll definitely check on that. It will nice to have a backup.

I had that happen to my 1050 case feeder which was only single speed. I took the motor out and removed the end plates. Everything was wiped off and given a few drops of gun oil on each bearing.

That was 5 years ago and the motor still purrs like a kitten. It seems that the oil used at the factory gums up with age and slows the motor down.

I ended up puting some 0 weight synthetic oil on the shaft of the Casefeeder and let it sit over night. It seems to have come back to life. My replacement motor came in Friday along with a new 650 and casefeeder :blink: (Honest, Honey, I don't know how that got included in my order. But since it is here, I might as well put it to use... :devil: Hey, look, it even came in 38 Super which is what our son shoots!! :devil: ).

My replacement motor came in Friday along with a new 650 and casefeeder (Honest, Honey, I don't know how that got included in my order. But since it is here, I might as well put it to use... Hey, look, it even came in 38 Super which is what our son shoots!! ).

You too. :surprise:

I "found" an old and beat up 1050 just sitting in the boot of my car one day. Must have been a pixie.

I just can't believe my luck sometimes.

My replacement motor came in Friday along with a new 650 and casefeeder (Honest, Honey, I don't know how that got included in my order. But since it is here, I might as well put it to use... Hey, look, it even came in 38 Super which is what our son shoots!! ).

You too. :surprise:

I "found" an old and beat up 1050 just sitting in the boot of my car one day. Must have been a pixie.

I just can't believe my luck sometimes.

Funny, yep it's the same pixie that will suddenly fill your closet with new shoes. And the matching outfits to go with those new shoes. I tried telling my wife that I went to order a caliber conversion....it just happened to come wrapped inside a dillon 1050. Opps, I blame it on how easy it is to click in the wrong box when you shop online.

"clicked on the wrong box online". That is a good excuse. I just do not think it would work for me. My wife would make me call and return it because I made a mistake

My wife doesn't fall for it either, but we have an understanding. She understands me all to well! :surprise:

May I hi-jack this thread? :rolleyes:

I have a 650 with the case feeder and I've been having a lot of problems with 45 acp cases finding their way under the plate and jamming up the darn thing. I never had this issue before, but it recently started and seems to be getting worse.

Since I had been reloading 357 mags before, I thought maybe I forgot to remove the washer under the plate, but that wasn't the cause. Even though I cut the amount of shells in the feeder down to less than 50, I still have problems. I also tried taking it apart and giving everything a good cleaning (again) but it didn't make any difference. I even lightened up the clutch but shells still work their way under the feeder. It seems to happen where the large white plastic (or nylon?) piece is mounted to straighten out the shells.

Any suggestions will be most welcome!!!!! :unsure: