Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Angle of barrel makes Comp look bent

ExtremeShot

The angle of my barrel makes my comp look bent. I've got a nice lockup on the barrel and it measures about 45 thou as recommended by Kuhnhausen. I've seen several other guns like this, however, it's just annoying. In hindsight I kinda wish I hadn't flat topped the comp to match the slide because it would have lessened the bent-comp look.

Is anyone else annoyed by the bent-comp look?

Darren

post-6381-1206896594.jpg

Yeah, they do look weird. My gunsmith in UK built my Open gun so that the comp was cut in line with the barrel but the top had the 1 degree (approx) offset so it was a continuation of the slide profile. I think it looked better that way.

Yep. I spent most of yesterday making sample cuts in aluminum to see what would look best. In the end I settled for this simple straight cut using a ball endmill. It's nothing fancy but it works. In hindsight I wish I would have made the rib cage cuts a little lower, but it still looks bad ass (at least I think they do).

Sweet!

You have the rear cocking serrations done.

:cheers:

Darren, next time flat top the comp with the barrel locked into the slide, it flattens the top of the comp in line with the top of the slide and looks a lot cleaner. The flat top on the comp will narrow as it goes out to the end but that looks kind of cool too.

I think the cuts in the side of the comp add to the look, doesn't look bad at all to me. I'd claim I did it that way on purpose.....

Howard,

At first I did cut the slide and comp together using a barrel lock. However, the flattening only went as far as the first port. It would have been OK but I didn't like it not matching. Of course hindsight is 20/20.

Regarding the side comp cuts...yeah claiming it was on purpose was my first thought but it doesn't really match up with the gun so I came clean. I was trying to mill out a similar slot on the bottom side for the guide rod to clear the comp...I ended up sticking the comp in the vise wrong. Doh! Of course I then had to make the same cut on the other side and then on the bottom like planned. That really sucked.

Darren

Darren, next time flat top the comp with the barrel locked into the slide, it flattens the top of the comp in line with the top of the slide and looks a lot cleaner. The flat top on the comp will narrow as it goes out to the end but that looks kind of cool too.

I think the cuts in the side of the comp add to the look, doesn't look bad at all to me. I'd claim I did it that way on purpose.....

It's titanium. It would probably be cheaper to buy a new one.
tig it up, and re-mill, if all you have are hss mills, let me know I will send you a coated carbide one

Titanium can be welded, I may have a tungsten titanium filler rod laying around as well

Edited by robomanusa

Darren, I think the cuts look kinda cool. I like my stuff to look like my stuff, not like everything else.

How wide is the flat top? I haven't had one not clean the top of that comp off yet when the flat top was .375" wide, leaves over .100" over the lugs and is plenty. Right around .365" wide the flat top will come to a point at the end of the comp and looks really cool......

If your comp has a flat on the top out front that is much over about .100" wide you won't be able to clean it up all the way, and you don't want to get much thinner than about .100" over the lugs in the slide. That will put the flat at a little over .400" wide.

The flat top is about 320 thou wide...it doesn't go outside of the edge of the ejection port. I think the angle is due to how I fit the barrel. I have a great fit and lockup, however, I probably should have removed more material from the front of the bull barrel and less from the lugs. Live and learn.

Darren

Darren, I think the cuts look kinda cool. I like my stuff to look like my stuff, not like everything else.

How wide is the flat top? I haven't had one not clean the top of that comp off yet when the flat top was .375" wide, leaves over .100" over the lugs and is plenty. Right around .365" wide the flat top will come to a point at the end of the comp and looks really cool......

If your comp has a flat on the top out front that is much over about .100" wide you won't be able to clean it up all the way, and you don't want to get much thinner than about .100" over the lugs in the slide. That will put the flat at a little over .400" wide.

+1

Its always bugged me so for my next gun I bough a full profile comp so I can flat top it, recut the stirrup and bottom of comp parallel to the top.

I did find out after buying the expensive full profile comp that Briley bores and thread their comps at a 1 deg angle so they stay in line with the slide. I'll try one on the next gun I guess.