Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Get N'Grip

surfmaster

For fun I do grips for friends and local shooters and from the pictures on his site, I don't care for the way they do the undercut....the most critical areas are left untouched on all the pics they have posted. That would be fine for folks with large hands, but not for anyone that wants the gun to feel smaller. The other thing is that the double undercuts shown are so small they'd only work for people with very small hands, which totally contradicts the way the undercut is done. I have average sized hands and I need a double undercut twice as big. I guess there might be a reason for that combination, but it would seem best suited for those few people with very long and thin fingers.

With that said, I've seen grips from a big name smith (nobody who's a sponsor here) that had even less done to it...just textured over the top and called it good.

If you want a textured/contoured/reduced grip there are vendors here the support the forum that do work that's at least as good. There's a bit more to that story, but I won't post it. R,

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I would like to ask if you have a link to a photo of a grip that is cut correctly for someone with medium or small hands? I would like the gun to feel smaller. Thanks in advance.

For fun I do grips for friends and local shooters and from the pictures on his site, I don't care for the way they do the undercut....the most critical areas are left untouched on all the pics they have posted. That would be fine for folks with large hands, but not for anyone that wants the gun to feel smaller. The other thing is that the double undercuts shown are so small they'd only work for people with very small hands, which totally contradicts the way the undercut is done. I have average sized hands and I need a double undercut twice as big. I guess there might be a reason for that combination, but it would seem best suited for those few people with very long and thin fingers.

With that said, I've seen grips from a big name smith (nobody who's a sponsor here) that had even less done to it...just textured over the top and called it good.

If you want a textured/contoured/reduced grip there are vendors here the support the forum that do work that's at least as good. There's a bit more to that story, but I won't post it. R,

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I would like to ask if you have a link to a photo of a grip that is cut correctly for someone with medium or small hands? I would like the gun to feel smaller. Thanks in advance.

Here's one I did for a friend with a pretty normal sized palm, but shorter fingers....note the short trigger. The location of the raised section that separates the undercut from the double undercut was kept back closer to the grip so that the middle finger of the right hand would press against it. You can move that forward for folks with thicker fingers. Also look at how the area just below the mag release button has been relieved. On a stock grip that area has a ridge/line that runs down it. It has the same profile on the right side of the gun, which is more important for a right handed shooter. Your fingers have to go over that ridge and it's not a smooth transition to the front strap. I relieved both sides the same amount so it's equally relieved for shooting support hand only, strong hand only or with both hands. When you remove that ridge/relieve that area it makes a noticable difference in how large the grip feels because your middle finger doesn't have as far to go. It's easy to blend that area into the undercut and the combination of the two puts your hand higher up on the grip while making the grip noticably much feeling. The undercut can be pretty dramatic before it even starts to get thin, but a lot of the grips I see don't have much relieved there. The tough part is actually where the frontstrap meets the side...that's the thin spot that's easy to go too far into so I understand leaving a little more meat there. Ideally a grip person would have a couple of samples you could actually feel, but that would be a pain if they weren't local. When I do one for a friend I try to let them handle one or two of my guns and then tell me what they'd like done differently....makes it a lot easier. R,

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=673814

Edit to add link....d'oh!

Edited by G-ManBart

Here's one I did for a friend with a pretty normal sized palm, but shorter fingers....note the short trigger.

Looks good but I don't like the color can you do that to a black grip?

I highly recommend Get N Grip (Jim Hart). I sent in a modified grip that fit me like a glove but had been trimmed back to where it had some weak spots.

Jim took a new STI grip and shaped it as close as possible to the one I sent in and added his texturing. I really like it and have several shooters comment on how well it looks. I went with the moderate texturing since I was used to grip tape. For me, its just right.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Here's one I did for a friend with a pretty normal sized palm, but shorter fingers....note the short trigger.

Looks good but I don't like the color can you do that to a black grip?

Oops...forgot to post the link. Actually, black is a lot easier to do than the colored grips which tend to get discolored easily. R,

That looks like a great grip. ;) Why do they have the stuff on the bottom of the trigger gaurd though? I took some sand paper to mind to keep from ripping on my weak side index.

JT, people seem to be mixed on whether they like the bottom of the trigger guard smooth or rough. Personally, I prefer a very light texture that you can feel, but won't tear up your hands....just enough that it won't slip, but not rough or sharp. My hands get beat up enough from shooting I see no reason to add to it!