Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Lube

DogmaDog

My vote for messiest crapola on earth to use as case lube is STP.  It works great...no jammed cases in the dies...but cleaning...ugh.

Dad taught me to reload and he used STP on an old stamp pad.  Lay a bunch of cases on it, roll them a bit and load.

Messy just doesn't even come close to describing it properly.  

My second vote for worst would be RCBS case lube in the pump spray bottle.  Guaranteed feed failures after 50 or so rounds and not easy to clean off without some sort of solvent.  May be the same stuff as the Dillon lube.

I now just use Hornaday One-Shot and only wipe down match ammo prior to chamber checking.  I have two big old aluminium foil lasagna pans dedicated to the task.  Cover the bottoms of both with a single layer of cases and that is between 300 and 400 rounds.

Sure beats STP....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lasagna pans

Perfect.  I use a cardboard box of similar size.  I line the box with a dedicated old towel.  I dump in the brass, smooth it down so that it is on it's side (so I don't get much inside teh cases), then spray.  I then grab the corners off the towel and roll the brass around, which spreads the lube evenly.

Quick, easy, and clean.

Quick question:

If you use lube or "Quick Shot" do you have to spray on all the cases or every so often? I assume you have to be careful not to "get" any spray inside the case?

I ask that since I want the loading to be faster and easier, but if I have to take the time to "lay out" all the cases and spray carefully, I might pass!

Thanks

I normally spray a couple hundred cases at a time, and then throw them in the case feeder.

Shake the Hornady One-Shot thoroughly. Just throw the cases in a small box (I use empty "Shed Spred" tubs) and spray the lube on while shaking the box/tub to distribute the cases around.

The Hornady lube will flow a bit. Shake the box/tub well, and then let dry a short time.

No need to do anything special to keep the lube out of the case. It's not petroleum based, and won't deactivate primers.

I decided to try Hornady's One Shot after reading all the posts about it and can't believe how well it works. I never had any problem with cases I cleaned and polished in my tumbler with brass polish, but new brass does not run as smooth. I just laid out a garbage bag and put some cases on it and sprayed it. I could not believe the difference it made.  My 650 now runs as smooth as glass with new brass. Anyone who reloads owes it to themselves to try it.  

I use Flexmoney's method with the box and the towel.  Thanks, Flex!  

With the dillon stuff, I only use about 4 sprays on 200 cases, and roll it around.  It doesn't seem very messy to me, although I have noticed that some powder will stick to the opening of the powder funnel, and around the rim of the case mouth.  I keep an unlubed case to throw sample powder charges for weighing because of this.  

Maybe I'm just not using enough to extract the full messiness potential from the product?

DD