Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G20 light strikes

CaseyJ

I have been using my glock 20 in Limited fo rquite some time now. Almost 2 years ago I put a "Ultimate overtravel stop" and a reduced striker spring, and reset spring and a light striker block spring, great trigger but only some federals would light off. I polished the heck out of all the internal parts using a dremel and polishing compound. it was super smooth and lit off federals no problem! Winchesters were hit or miss on lighting off. I made sure it was clean and the stiker channel was unobstructed and free of oil and debris. Problem still exhisted.

I removed all of the aftermarket parts with the exception of the overtravel stop and the problem still exhists. I have probably put close to 20k through my glock in 10mm and in 40 combined (I have a 40 barrel). Does anyone know of any problems being caused by this and what can i do to fix it and still have some sort of overtravel stop.

I have seen the Jentra's but I do not like the looks of them. I know alot of people with the Ghost Rocket and they like it, I am pretty good with a file and I have a pretty good grasp on gunsmithing (have built a few AR's a Para hi-cap from the frame kit, and a regular govt 1911.

Any help is appreciated!

Here's a guess based on my Glock doing the same thing:

The trigger bar raises the firing pin block.

If the overtravel is set close, the trigger bar doesn't quite go far enough to lift the FP plunger and it dings the striker a bit.

That will cause light strikes, especially with a RP spring.

Take the striker out and look closely at the tip where the grooves are cut. If you see any "dinging" in that area it is probably bumping into the plunger.

An easy way to test if the FP safety is causing light strikes is to temporarily take out the plunger and small spring and test fire it. If that fixes the light strikes, that's the problem.

If that's not the problem, maybe you just need a little more striker spring strength. Try a new spring.

Edited by bountyhunter

Sounds like you have somthing blocking the striker:

My suggestions-

1) Clean striker hole

2)Verify safety plunger and striker are not galled -up

3)remove overtravel stop

TEST

4) remove safety plunger

TEST

5)Verify trigger bar is not damaged - replace part

TEST

IMHO the overtravel stop could be the problem-the trigger bars in Glocks have side-to-side slop-this could cause the Jentra part to interfere with proper movement of the trigger bar (down) if it is not positioned properly. Don't know anybody who uses one, but I also never heard anyone having problems with one-so they are like any other custom part - you gotta be real carefull how its installed. It might just need to be moved slightly. But I would follow the above to find the root cause-then you can always go back and re-install parts.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Dave Marques

I use settups similar to yours. The over travel stops are great, but can cause the light strikes. Better to have a little more overtravel than unreliable ignition. Sounds like it wouldn't take much backing out of the ot adjustment screw to fix your problem.

Also check the tip of your striker. Make sure it is not damaged. A chipped striker tip will give lighter strikes.

To test if it is the safety plunger being lifted, remove the safety plunger and test the gun. If it fires fine then that maybe the cause. Sometimes people over polish and then change the shape of the birds head on the trigger bar. That could also cause the safety plunger not to lift completly.

You can test the gun at home by dropping a pencil with a rubber eraser down the barrel. Ponit the gun muzzle up with pencil down the barrel and pull the trigger. A light strike will hardly move the pencil. A very hard strike will bounce the pencil out of the barrel. A decent strike should move the pencil several inches.

• 2 months later...