Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope mount screws sticking through dust cover...

SLM

I changed scope mounts and the mount screws were sticking almost 1/8" into the dust cover and locking the gun up. I took the Dremel to them and cut them back but they still stick out a bit. How much is too much? I'd be SICK if I left them too long and they scratched my brand new slide. :sick:

I changed scope mounts and the mount screws were sticking almost 1/8" into the dust cover and locking the gun up. I took the Dremel to them and cut them back but they still stick out a bit. How much is too much? I'd be SICK if I left them too long and they scratched my brand new slide. :sick:

You want them flush with the dust cover. ANY amount is to much if they stick out.

Thanks guys! I was pretty sure anything was too much so I cut them back flush. Lots of take out, cut, put in, take out, cut, etc. but they are all flush to just a few thousands recessed. I just didn't think to look and see what they looked like in the other mount. DUH!!! :rolleyes:

Call your gunsmith, he will know what to do.

You know my smith... I'm sure he would know. It was just a bit too late to bother him tonight. :cheers:

The next time you take them out remember to mark EACH ONE as to which hole it belongs in. Yes they are that sensitive that they should not even switch places from one hole to another. To be honest they should be "fit" one at a time (like you just got done doing) to their respective hole(s).

Try not to ever remove them and you won't have this problem again. :)

When mine all goes back together I'll use BLUE. 4-40 screws + red, and it may never come apart again. Purple would most likely be just fine for such small screws. I hope NOT to have to take it back off but dumb things do happen! Now, who has my Loctite?