Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB question?

I just got my SDB yesturday and swithched everything over from my Lee turret press. It was a used Dillon and was already pretty much set up for .45. Now when I got the powder charge and the bullet depth right I started loading some cases and had a little bit of an issue pop up. Every few cases I would get one that looked sort of caved in on one side and it would not even come close to fitting in the case gauge. This is happening somewhere in the bullet seating and then crimping process but I am not sure what is causing it :blink: Anyone have any suggestions?

Can you post a picture?

Be sure you are flaring cases at least .010" larger than the sized, flared case mouth measures. :ph34r:

So if they are not flared enough when it is time to seat the bullet it would cause this problem?

I will try and get some pictures when I get home tonight!

For a second, I thought the title of this thread was "SBD question." And I thought, unbelievable, these crazy people are even willing to discuss their flatulence issues on the BE forum!

Well...I did have a meatball sub for lunch..... :blink:

So if they are not flared enough when it is time to seat the bullet it would cause this problem?

I will try and get some pictures when I get home tonight!

I experienced the same problem that you have. After adjusting the 2nd station to give a little more flare, no more problems. :)

Yep...it is a flare problem. Give it a bit more flare and your issue will go away. But too much flare is a bad thing too. The trick is to find the "just right" amount.

Good luck!

I'm not certain that I understand the problem totaly and yes a little more case bell may solve the issue but look also at the possibility that your seating die may not be adjusted right. Is it possible that your bullet is still being pressed down by the stem after the die has begun to taper crimp the bullet in place and then the case wall begins to collapse? Just brain storming here but I've seen it happen.

Good luck,

Ken

Well I went home last night and belled the cases a little more. What do you know, all is now right in the world! Cranked out 200 rounds with only one that would not fit in the case gauge. Thanks for the help guys!