Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak hand plates

Chris iliff

It's warming up finally and I was thinking maybe I could get some times on the plate rack with weak hand at ten yards.

6 PLATES

10 YARDS

HANDS AT SIDES RELAXED

DRAW AND XFER TO WEAK HAND

PLEASE POST

TIME

EQUIPMENT

CLASS

Could use six paper plates, evenly spaced and stapled to a 2x4, make sure you get your hits.

Edited by fourtrax

Sorry it took two days, but here are my results. I did about 15 dryfire runs and could consistently beat a par time of 6 seconds. Then the fun began. I ran it ten times. I list the draw, total time, and # of plates made up to finish run. I'm a "C" class shooter. Open gun.

TIME, DRAW, MISSED/MADE UPS

9.62, 2.33, 3

7.26, 2.27, 2

7.56, 2.75, 1

8.16, 2.72, 1

6.97, 2.33, 1

6.91, 2.06, 1

7.49, 2.38, 1

6.13, 2.63, 0

7.93, 2.13, 3

5.88, 2.44, 0

On run 9 I pushed trying to beat 6 seconds, it didn't get me much. On run 10 I was completely relaxed and repeated the mantra "shoot what you see." Not my best draw time, but like run 8 I didn't push and it worked better for me.

Edited by fourtrax

Kool Drill! :cheers:

8 & 10 are what you want consistently!

FM

Yeah, I really tried to open up and just feel the deal. I thought about #8 run and tried to duplicate that on #10. Worked good. #9 run was me getting excited about #8 and thinking, thinking, thinking, I could do better. The first 3 or 4 runs are pure excitement and speed focused. I am starting to understand some points I learned reading Brian's and Lanny's books.

The mind is powerful. I need practice.

NOTE: U DON"T HAVE TO DO 10 RUNS, PLEASE SOMEBODY POST SOME TIMES, CLASS, AND EQUIPMENT

• 3 weeks later...
Could use six paper plates, evenly spaced and stapled to a 2x4, make sure you get your hits.

People keep saying that, but I don't believe it. I can drill paper plates okay... But nothing makes you miss like those damn steel plates. The difference is purely psychological, but it's there.

I do love plate racks: Nothing keeps you sight-focused like steel. Start gazing at the plates, and they stop dropping. Every time.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 3 years later...

I like weak hand drills, but I won’t be posting my times, I always get at least one miss and my 6 to 8 sec reloads make my times look really bad.

If you get under 6 sec consistently you need to move back to 20 yards.

Nice drill.

Leonard