Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super ESR

kevinpagano

With the price of new .38 super brass being what it is and good used brass being scarce (at least in my area) vs. good once fired .45 I say IMHO stick with .45. If you have .38s brass or have hit the lottery recently go with either. I don't see an handling or capacity advantage. Others will disagree which is the reason for the forum!

With the price of new .38 super brass being what it is and good used brass being scarce (at least in my area) vs. good once fired .45 I say IMHO stick with .45. If you have .38s brass or have hit the lottery recently go with either. I don't see an handling or capacity advantage. Others will disagree which is the reason for the forum!

Thats one thing about shooting revo, you get to keep your brass. At least in USPSA, I don't know if IDPA has some goofy rule about that as I have never shot IDPA.

Well the recoil will be different for sure. Probably more snappy with the 38 super than the 45 acp.

It can't hurt to practice and see what you like.

Do the same drills with either gun and see which is faster for you.

I prefer the 686 in 38 super. :cheers:

I have a 625 tuned by Randy Lee and a Performance Center 686 in 38 super. I will pick the L-Frame over the N-Frame every time. I have small hands and I find the smaller gun handles better for me. Recoil feel is different but I don't find it to be worse than the 45.

Bullets are cheaper and you get your brass back. :cheers:

I'll probably end up moving the 625 just so I will stop wasting time trying to shoot it better than the 686. <_<

That sounds interesting bill. I am sure the 45 recoil is more of a push than a snap but I dont see where recovery time would be slower with a 38 super. How is speed reloading the super versus 45. Do you see any difference. And who converted your 686?

I think Bill has one of the PC 686 38 supers.

They made a limited run a few years ago. I have seen a couple of them show up for sale over the years but they ain't cheap and I am never flush enough to grab one when I see them. A couple of folks do convert 686's though.

Look at TK customs web site for a list.

Yes, I have one of the Performance Center 686s. It came in 38 super. The reload time is about the same between the super and the 45. I can hit or miss with either one. :surprise:

Kevin,

I have run ESR with 170 PF 158 gr 38s in a 586 and 170 PF 45 ACP in my 625 - just this weekend as a matter of fact.

I would pick the 625 every time.

My Classifier times from this weekend ran:

625 - 99, 97, 92 seconds

586 - 102, 105, 108 seconds

My reload times were essentially the same for both guns (I'm not very good with moonclips), and there are only 4 reloads on the clock in a Classifier anyway.

The 45 ACP recoil is much easier for me to handle than the 38 caliber recoil at that power factor. Hands down.

Craig

I have the PC 38 Super. While I mostly shoot minor I was able to reach major with a fairly mild load of 6.0 3N37 and 151 gr Ranier RN. If I thought they were chronographing I might kick the load up a tenth or so. I was pleasantly surprised with the mildness of the recoil. The L frame has plenty of metal to aborb the impulse.

Bill, do you have a picture of that 38 super gun. Also what do you guys use for holsters and safariland speed loader holders and full moon holders. I have a 586 that my father passed along to me but do not want to shoot it that much. I am looking at a 686 ssr for idpa and have an interest in the 38 super for esr.

Here's some pictures. :cheers:

I clip the corners of the post on the moon clip carriers to make them OK for IDPA. The 686 holster is Talon Tactical http://www.talontactical.com/ The moonclips are Hearthco.

The Model 10 holster is Blade-Tech and the speedloader holders are the possibly not available Ready Tactical. The speedloaders are cut down Comp lll.

I think Bubber modified a 686 to take 38 super with moonclips. A search found this. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...Bubber+38+super

You could shoot that 586 a lot and never hurt it. But if you want to buy a new gun, you have my permission. :rolleyes: One of the new 686SSRs could be used on both SSR and ESR just by using different ammo. ;)

post-2236-1205186233.jpg

post-2236-1205186300.jpg

Bill, if you used the 686 ssr would you have to use the speedloaders for both ammo or not? Very interesting Idea. Or can you use a speedloader to load 38 super so you can run both division with on gun using speedloaders and moonclips.

Edited by kevinpagano

Bill, if you used the 686 ssr would you have to use the speedloaders for both ammo or not? Very interesting Idea. Or can you use a speedloader to load 38 super so you can run both division with on gun using speedloaders and moonclips.

You have to use moon clips with the 38 super. Not enough rim to reliably eject.

My PC 38 super headspaces off of the moon clips. It won't fire without the clips.

I tried to load some 38 super rounds in a 38 special speedloader. The rims are too small for them to hold.

If I had a 686SSR I would run speedloaders in both SSR and ESR. I would use minor in SSR and major in ESR.

I think it is possible to get the cylinder cut for moon clips and run 38 special or 357 magnum ammo with moonclips. I understand you can still load loose rounds or use speedloaders after this conversion.

My PC 38 super headspaces off of the moon clips. It won't fire without the clips.

I tried to load some 38 super rounds in a 38 special speedloader. The rims are too small for them to hold.

If I had a 686SSR I would run speedloaders in both SSR and ESR. I would use minor in SSR and major in ESR.

I think it is possible to get the cylinder cut for moon clips and run 38 special or 357 magnum ammo with moonclips. I understand you can still load loose rounds or use speedloaders after this conversion.

You are correct. If done properly you can use loose rounds, speedloaders, and moon clips. With 38/357 guns that have been cut for moon clips.

I saw a nice PC 686 .38 Super like Bill N.'s at the fairgrounds gun show in Des Moines a month or so ago. It was priced at $1200 or $1300 (can't remember which), so I didn't bother picking it up. I've thought about that gun a few times since, thinking it might be cool to own. But then the next thought that occurs to me is that it really wouldn't be the best choice for any of the competitive disciplines.

Sorta like my 646. Cool thing, but not really good for much.

Mike, are you saying you prefer a 45 acp for ESR in IDPA. Your bursting my bubble. I got to hold a SSR today at a local shop for about 750 I think. The gun felt really nice in the hand compared to an N frame. I think I will probably start in SSR IDPA. I like the L frame guns. They seem to fit me the best.

Well, to be candid, I do not shoot IDPA these days. But if I were to shoot IDPA in ESR division, I would absolutely use a 4" 625. Much softer feel than anything in an L-frame with major loads, . But if you really feel more comfortable with an L-frame, go for it!!

As my old friend Mas A. always says, "Whatever gets you through the night, Bro."