Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon clipped k-frames

vrmn1

I cut a couple of K frame cylinders for moon clips this week.

They both turned out real well.

Let me just tell you though, those little moon clips are tender.

They have to be and I knew that going in but it was still suprising once I got them in my hand to see just how thin they were and how fragile they will be.

I know this when I use them in a match I will be asking the RO and scorer to watch their step.

They have to be and I knew that going in but it was still suprising once I got them in my hand to see just how thin they were and how fragile they will be.

I know this when I use them in a match I will be asking the RO and scorer to watch their step.

Are moonclips for 38 Super thicker? Just curious if I were to do a similar conversion on L frame , would it be better to do 38 Super vs 38 special.

Are moonclips for 38 Super thicker? Just curious if I were to do a similar conversion on L frame , would it be better to do 38 Super vs 38 special.

Yep the 38 super clips are .035 thick. The 38 Special clips are only .022. .007 don't sound like much and its not really but any more helps. And along with that they have a little more meat between the rounds.

I have some extra k frame cylinders and I am going to rechamber one to 38 super as soon as I order the reamer.

Edited by vrmn1

Yep the 38 super clips are .035 thick. The 38 Special clips are only .022. .007 don't sound like much and its not really but any more helps.

.013 sounds like a lot more.

Yep the 38 super clips are .035 thick. The 38 Special clips are only .022. .007 don't sound like much and its not really but any more helps.

.013 sounds like a lot more.

DUH!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I'm a dumbass. :goof:

Thanks.

who did you have do the work, if i may ask? i gotta 6" mod 19 that i'm dying to do this to....there was another post about doing cylinders that have the case heads recessed, which mine does....just got a 625, but i really like shooting the .38 cal. minor stuff. experimented w/ short colt some, would like to try it in this gun..... thanx

who did you have do the work, if i may ask? i gotta 6" mod 19 that i'm dying to do this to....there was another post about doing cylinders that have the case heads recessed, which mine does....just got a 625, but i really like shooting the .38 cal. minor stuff. experimented w/ short colt some, would like to try it in this gun..... thanx

I am a machinist and did/do the work myself.

Okay, I'm a .38 Super noob. So is it basically an auto cartridge with a true .357 bullet so it will retain it's accuracy in a K frame? BTW where are you getting the moonclips, and will they work with 9X19 by chance?

Okay, I'm a .38 Super noob. So is it basically an auto cartridge with a true .357 bullet so it will retain it's accuracy in a K frame? BTW where are you getting the moonclips, and will they work with 9X19 by chance?

Nickels, New 9X19 brass will work. Once it is fired in a 9MM chamber it may become to big at the base to be resized and loaded to fit in the cylinders. Another item is the star of the revo may hve to be modified. The ammo fit in my old moonclips for the 6 and 8 shot with no mods done. And the last item is the moonclips. My moonclips are very loose and the 9MM has no probelem being loaded. As far as the 357 diameter I have no probelms shooting the 355 bullet in the Smiths that I have. Accuracy is important as the distance and the game is. I don't know about 50 yards but at the normal USPSA and ICORE stages it is good enough. for the 50 yards I am happy with the 160 grain lead I use 356 to 357. later rdd

edited fer spellin

Edited by Bubber

• 1 year later...

I have a 38 super 686 with an extra cylinder bored out to 9x23. For the 9mm I use the TK customs .035. They are loose enough to deal with the 9mm, 9x23 brass, and some of the 38 super.

For Starline brass I have to use the fadtory S&W moon clips due to the difference in the extractor grooves.

I have a 38 super 686 with an extra cylinder bored out to 9x23. For the 9mm I use the TK customs .035. They are loose enough to deal with the 9mm, 9x23 brass, and some of the 38 super.

For Starline brass I have to use the fadtory S&W moon clips due to the difference in the extractor grooves.

I've found that the 9s in the .035 clips are pretty slick in my PC 686.I'm having a hard time making Minor with them though.Any of my loads are at least 100 fps slower than my autos,but WW Whitebox is the same(????).Have you tried TK's .040 clips for the Starline Supers?-Mike

I've found that the 9s in the .035 clips are pretty slick in my PC 686.I'm having a hard time making Minor with them though.Any of my loads are at least 100 fps slower than my autos,but WW Whitebox is the same(????).Have you tried TK's .040 clips for the Starline Supers?-Mike

I had not thought of that! Thanks for the idea, those S&W clips are pushing $8 per clip. They used to sell them in packs of three. Now they sell them one at a time.