Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for compensator suggestions

ParaGlocker

I recently purchased a new Stag AR for 3-gun matches. Shot my first match with it today and I was quite pleased with it's overall performance, BUT.....It currently has a A2-type flashhider (threaded barrel) and the dot on my EOTech was bouncing a lot more than I want. I am looking for suggestions on a compensator for it. Any ideas about which will eliminate or lessen muzzle bounce most effectively? Any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

:cheers:

I've tried several, Neth, Miculek, Hill, in an attempt to tame my POF (the piston seems to make it recoil more than my other di ARs). They all worked, to an extent. After reading Pat's article I ordered the TTi. It works better than any of the others, and I'm VERY happy with it! The gun stays very flat during recoil.

Thanks, Pat!

If you read that test you will find that the Rolling Thunder by Benny Hill was the flatest of the ones tested. It has now be improved for futher recoil reduction, as if recoil was a problem with the .223. Call Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting sports, 361-241-1091.------------Larry

The playing I have done it seems the carrier smashing back and fourth causes just as much movement as lack of a comp.

Check out the JP lightweight stainless carrier to match with a comp.

thanx for posting the article, missed it in the magazine. interesting stuff.....got a jp cooley comp on the prize table at ft. benning, rebarreled my 20" w/ it and a sabre barrel. still breaking it in, but i thought i liked my old miculek comp better. the article seems to support that......

I'd have to say the SJC Titan comp is the flattest shooting comp out there with the best recoil reduction based on the testing I did. I've tried almost all the comps on the market.....except for Bennies. Bennies may be a tad better.....but the SJC gets extra points for sexiest brake on the end of the barrel. Thats gotta count for something right?

I went out one day and did a little testing of my own. I set up three targets at 3yards apart. I would fire three rounds on every target as fast as I could to get A hits. Ammo used was Black Hills 55 grain FMJ blue box. The first run was done at 25 yards and the next run at 50. I could consistently get faster splits and better hits with the Titan. Next in line was the JP/Cooley. Third in line was the TTi actually tying with the Neth Comp. I had a hard time telling between the two splits and hits were the same. When compared to the A2 flash hider.....all the comps made a huge difference. The comps I tested were the Miculek,Wakal F1,JP tank,JP/Cooley,SJC Titan,Dave Neth competition comp,TTi,one of my own designs simialr to a Miculek with an extra baffle and top ports,Sabre Gill(competition)and an OPS inc brake. I was going totally by feel and sight picture combined with hits and split times. Pats was definitely more scientific. One day I want to get around to trying one of Bennies cuz I hear they are good.

I'm convinced the Titan works the best for me.

ETA: Rifle used for testing was a 17" MSTN upper(rifle length gas)with lightened NM BCG and adjustable gas block. Gas block was open for testing.

Edited by 00bullitt

• 1 month later...

Not as detailed as 00Bullits report but here's what I found. Testing 3 brakes, JP/Cooley, Miculek and Thunder, on 3 guns, 16" M-4 short gas, 16" DPMS long gas, and 18" WOA long gas, many different brands of ammo, many different 3-gun shooting positions.

After switching brakes from gun to gun,using different shooting positions (sand bagged, prone, offhand, kneeling, ports, etc., using different brands of ammo (about 500 rounds), over a period of several weekends at the range, of the combinations stated above, the conclusion I have come up with is not very scientific:

Because the 3 I tested are all excellent, of those 3, I picked the ones that looks the coolest on my guns.

18" WOA has the JP/Cooley. !6" DPMS has the Thunder. 16" M4 has the Miculek. Not only do they perform, they look good.