Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

recoil comparisons? Open vs...

boo radley

All -- thinking somewhat more seriously about an Open gun, but have some concerns about recoil.

Over the last year or so, I've developed some elbow issues; I understand them, and I won't bore anyone with 'em. :)

While some pain is exacerbated from reloads and draws, a lot has to do with just squeezing the grip at extension while shooting. I've found, the Glock 35 in major the most painful to shoot over time, followed closely by my STI major Limited gun (which is a std frame, short dc gun).

The 1911 bothers me the least -- perhaps it's the heavy weight, slimmer grip and I find .45acp pretty gentle.

My question is, where does a 9mm Open gun (5" non-ported) fit in? I've tried one briefly, but that's not enough to tell anything. There's a blast, but it's a lot of bark, too - I'd like opinon on the 'bite.'

thx!

My 9mm Open gun has VERY little actual recoil compared to my 40 Limited gun, and NO recoil compared to my G22 shooting major loads. That said, what recoil there is feels very fast and very sharp. I suppose it could be harder on your elbows than the push of a 45, but I really don't have any idea. Is there anyone you can borrow one from to shoot for a bit and see how it works out for you?

If you are thinking about building an Open gun you might want to look at a full 5" SuperComp gun, and build it pretty heavy. They are real pussycats to shoot and they shoot great. SuperComp would give you a little more leeway on powder selection and a bit more gas in the comp to tone it down as much as possible.

My 9mm Open gun has VERY little actual recoil compared to my 40 Limited gun, and NO recoil compared to my G22 shooting major loads. That said, what recoil there is feels very fast and very sharp. I suppose it could be harder on your elbows than the push of a 45, but I really don't have any idea. Is there anyone you can borrow one from to shoot for a bit and see how it works out for you?

If you are thinking about building an Open gun you might want to look at a full 5" SuperComp gun, and build it pretty heavy. They are real pussycats to shoot and they shoot great. SuperComp would give you a little more leeway on powder selection and a bit more gas in the comp to tone it down as much as possible.

Howard is on track here. The lighter the gun the more you are going to feel. Also, you don't need to have a death grip on the gun. I have a bad wrist and often I change my grip because of it. You don't need to control recoil with grip strength. You can find a neutral grip that will minimize the pounding to your body. I would also think about shooting production and using a .40 at minor. You can get a .40 soft as a pillow at minor. I shot a guys .40 minor and it was less than my 9mm at minor. If you are having problems with both weight and recoil, I would build/find a medium weight .40 and shoot production.

Also, do a search here... there is much info on how to build up the muscles needed to keep from getting tennis elbow and the like.

Best,

JT

+1 on getting your hands on an Open gun and trying it out. They're all a little bit different, but that should give you an idea if it's even worth exploring. You might try one and decide there's no way it's going to work for you or that it's not really bad at all.

As Howard mentioned, a 38SC with a slower powder will soften things. To add to that, heavier bullets will also shoot softer (more muzzle flip) so stay away from 115gr bullets. 125s and even 135s will be noticably softer. R,

Steve,

As we spoke about at the Open, I had the exact same pain in my elbow that you are describing. I got this from UniqueTek:

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1237

and I use it whenever I practice. Have not had any elbow pain since, I am sure it will help whether you are shooting an open gun, limited, or anything else. The idea is to reduce the shock that is transmitted to the elbow and this does it for me.

Steve,

As we spoke about at the Open, I had the exact same pain in my elbow that you are describing. I got this from UniqueTek:

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1237

and I use it whenever I practice. Have not had any elbow pain since, I am sure it will help whether you are shooting an open gun, limited, or anything else. The idea is to reduce the shock that is transmitted to the elbow and this does it for me.

Do you use it in matches? Or just practice?

Just practice as that is where I shoot higher volume in a shorter period of time. The pain I had was on the outside of the elbow right on that "bump", and it was really bad for a while. Started using this and no more pain, works for me!

Edited by nhglyn

Boo,

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have the same thing and my Ortho suspects small tears in mine. He told me to stop shooting for 4 months minimum (not gonna happen) but in the mean time, gave me a regiment to do on a daily basis that really is helping.

I first start my day with a heat pad, then I wear the "Tennis elbow" brace that you can buy at any sports store and I wear this all day long. at the end of the day, it is heat, then ice and advil ( I have some extra precriptions for my case) , then do it all over again the next day. He told me not to shake peoples hand, or use my arm to any degree to give it a chance to heal.

I don't think a new or different gun will help because of your inflamation. When I grip mine, it hurts like hell. I am trimming my match schedule to get the darn thing to heal.

Thx, Glyn - yeah, I remember that discussion. I will have to check that wrist-band out.

I appreciate the advice; I should see if I can find an Open gun to try for at least a practice session, but it's not necessarily an immediate revelation. Elbows might be fine, then, down the road, as Mr T says, "the forecast calls for PAIN." I'm trying to just get a feel for the recoil and shock compared to .40 major; I don't want to make an expensive mistake: certainly Open SEEMS violent, but I'm thinking that's also recoil energy leaving the gun....

Probably should just focus on a heavy production gun, and single-stack, but am craving something different.

I thought my shooting days were over about 3 years ago when my tendonitis or Tennis elbow was giving me real issues in the pain dept. I tried everything and as last resort went to a freind recomended Acupuncture Dr.. After 6 visits no more pain. I was then and still am shooting 30 to 40k rounds a year.

Brian