Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow Divers

mpeltier

I am a retired SCUBA instructor and accomplished wreck diver so when I picked up this book I did not have high hopes as I thought the book would be diluted with BS. At the time this was unfolding I worked in a New England Dive shop and we heard stories about this discovery as it was in our back yard. I found the book very accurate in its detail about the diving so for me that adds to the credibility of the story in general. Finding a previously undiscovered German U-Boat off shore of the united states is an incredible once in a lifetime opportunity. These guys risked (and some lost) their lives to unfold a piece of WWII history. The Author did a great job of presenting the story in an interesting and easy to visulize fasion. Many people do not realize how big a threat the german U-Boats were to our Eastern seaboard. After reading the book I thought it ironic that such a fearsome killing machine from WWII is still deadly. I recomend it.

I loved this book. I know nothing of diving but found it fasinating. The WWII history was great and the mystery of the boat's identity was very engaging. The diving accounts were absolutely incredible. I wasn't aware of the proximity to the coast that the U-boats achieved. I actually learned from reading the book that there is a U-boat sunk off Block Island, not far from where I grew up in RI at all.

Did you note from the book that one of the main diver's wife was a pro shooter? I can't remember her name but I had l researched her name at the time and found her to be on the Les Baer ladies team that is always pictured in his magazine ads.

Yes I certainly did notice. Her name is Kathy Chatterton, wife of John Chatterton. She has a list of records and titles in competitive shooting as long as my shirt sleeve. Still on les Baers website also.

John is quite a guy also, his bio in the book on his tour in Vietnam as a medic was very stirring and vivid.

The sub off Block Island you refer to is the U-853. We had a trip planned to dive it that got cancelled due to weather. Another opportunity never came for me as I moved to Florida soon after.

This picture I took diving the Coast Guard Cutter "DUANE" sunk off Key Largo in the Florida Keys. It is in 130' of crystal clear warm water. A stark contrast to the Fridged, dark, 230' that the U-869 lies in off the NJ coast.

post-6767-1204037541.jpg

I haven't finished the book yet, but I just picked it up (well Aunt got it for me for Christmas). It's GREAT! I just got certified last year, so I don't have too many dives under my belt yet - Pacific Northwest diving - water's cold, viz bad, let's go dive!!!

~Mitch

Wife got me the book for Christmas. I'm saving it for our next dive trip. Big fan of Deep Sea Detectives and I've wanted to read the book that got their TV career going.

If you're interested in the history of U-boats and the sunk tonnage in the Gulf of Mexico, I highly recommend "Torpedoes in the Gulf" by Melanie Wiggins. Link to Texas A&M press: http://www.tamu.edu/upress/BOOKS/1995/wiggins.htm. It's a part of history that isn't taught.

• 4 years later...

I don't remember how I stumbled upon the book but I love it. The thought of all those technical dives under those conditions makes me cringe. I'm a diver and its hard to make someone understand what its like to dive in cold, dark, deep, strong current water. My hat is off to those guys.

• 2 weeks later...