Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Move Slower Shoot Faster

I have found recently that if I focus more on just getting from position to position, my times decrease over when trying to get there very fast. I am ready to shoot faster and a lower heart rate seems to make the shooting seem easier. My scores have gone up signifiacantly since trying this. Thanks TT.

It is not that I am in poor condition, I exercise quite regularly, but rather that I get too excited sometimes and try to go "superfast" if I just try to get there instead, it is still "fast" but I am ready to shoot faster I think. I do think that a lot of IPSC shooters would reap great benefits from hitting the treadmill and eating nutritionally sound diet. My heart rate raise more from the anticipation of the stage by than any physical aspect.

Loves2shoot,

One of the principals of movement I teach is the understanding that it is harder to stop than to start. That may seem a simple statement, but consider where you see people make their most "slips". I would bet its when they are trying to stop. They slip, skid, slide, or overshoot the shooting box and are off balance or have to take a step back into the box. You can start moving at up to 100% of your ability for a given terran, but coming to a stop should be about 90% of your stopping ability. I think you've just discovered this for yourself. As you stated, you are still moving fast, your just controlling you stop and set up better than before. By shifting your stopping ability from 100% to 90% you have a smoother stop, a more stable shooting platform, a shorter set-up time, and a quicker, more accurate first shot. Congratulations on your breakthrough!

In practicing movement, I focus on calling the first shot while still on one foot on the approach. Making this my standard really improved my ability to get there ready to shoot. It also lessened my dependence on the perfect stance for tight shots.

SA

Be shooting as you’re leaving, and ready to shoot, or shooting as you get there. Seem simple enough, but once relaxed, comes easy. I do have a little trouble with the first, but I always try to gage the approach and the effort needed to glide into a position to start shooting ASAP.

Experement with this: Insead of thinking of (your body) getting to the next position as quickly as possible, as soon as you have called your last shot from a position, see and hold in your mind what the next sight picture should look like when you get there. Now your program is complete, so your action will be as well.

After years of experimenting with movement on field courses, I realized that was the most effective method for me. And guess what - you don't have to think about anything while doing it.

:huh:

Thanks for the input guys!!! I am starting to get the the "next-level" and having the input of the board participants has helped a lot.

BE,

Also thanks for adding the "next sight picture" part of it. TT recommend to me using waypoints, if I add the "next picture" part to that process, then maybe I can keep my brain from thinking at all during a stage and just watch what happens when the buzzer goes off, that would be cool B)