Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The 20 Ga In 3gun

AH6IP

I shoot a 20ga 1100 Open shotgun with good results.

The downside is that you are usually forced to shoot 1 choke tighter, than a comparable 12ga, to insure clean knockdown on steel at longer distances. That obviously reduces the diameter of the pattern capable of knocking down the steel consistently. I use a holosight and try not to get too sloppy with the sight picture. The gun's light weight and mild recoil make up for any extra time lost cleaning up the sight picture. Not having to make up shots does not hurt either.

Leo

My Buddy's girlfriend shoots one in 3-gun. Her main gripe is that the accessories are harder to find and the ammo can tend to be a little harder to find (cheap) especially slugs. Powerwise, she usually has to shoot high-base 6's where the rest of us are shooting low base 7.5's and 8's in our 12s. Other than that, she rocks with that little 20.

My 3-gun buddies and I had a wide assortment of shotguns available. Between us we had 2 Benellis (one Practical and one shorty), an 1187 and the 20ga 1100. After testing all of them we all decided on the 20ga. We use the 7 1/2 promo loads with great sucess. The only adjustment was that we shoot MOD choke when others are using I/C or more open chokes. The effective safe steel range of the 20 decreased dramatically with anything larger than MOD. With MOD it is good to 25 yds. The 20 was more difficult to find toys for and was a little finicky with some brands of ammo.

Leo

We were not able to find anything through the usual sources. Choate did not have the ext. tube and none of the usual suspects had mounts. We just continued to search around until we found people that had stuff "laying around" from years back. We were unable to find a 20ga feed gate and modified an old 12ga unit to work on the 20ga.

Leo

Well, I know Choate DOES make the 7 and 8 shot extensions and barrel clamp for the 1100/11-87/870. I just wish they made a 9 shot extension. Even 3Gun Gear makes sidesaddles for 20 if ya want em, but the 12 ga actually works just fine with 20 ga.

AH6IP,

Choate does make them but they only make a few per batch. When I called they were out of stock and did not intend to produce any more for several months. They also only offerered the smaller length tubes as you noted.

Leo

i currently use a benelli super 90 in 20 ga. i find that other than not having speed loaders for it that it gives up nothing to the 12 guage. i purchased all the side saddles and shell holders from 3gungear.com in 20ga and have been very satisfied with them the 10 rnd tube had to be made which was a hassle to find someone who could thread the forearm nut with the correct acme threads. i do use a little hotter loads than just your standard promo loads but i usually find some on sale at a cheap price with just a heavier shot load and they work really well.jlh

Jake Kempton of Accuracy Speaks is currently building me a 20 gauge 1100 for limited. It will have a 22 in barrel with interchangeable chokes, an 8 round magazine, trigger job, william rear/dawson front sights, speedfeed, and 3 gun gear side saddle.

The perceived advantage is weight reduction and reduced recoil plus it's just so handy. Disadvantages: some matches don't allow 20s, not as much payload for farther steel shots, no reduced recoil slugs.

Kelly, your gun sounds like the one I built. And, if ya want to really get the perceived recoil down, Rem makes their 20 ga STS target load in a reduced recoil version, that work real, real nice.

I have been shooting a 20ga LT that Bennie Hill built for a while now. Acadme sell Rem hvy dove loads for about 35.00 a case. These are a2 1/2 dr 1oz load and 6s take poppers right down, right now, any skeet load or lt game load in 71/2 or 8s are good for clay birds. Rem also has a 5/8oz slug that is the real low recoil deal. This little gun is lite, quick and runs any ammo. If I had speed loaders for it my 12 would belong to someone else. Larry

I also have a LT 20 Bennie built for me. I only shoot limited/tactical class in 3-Gun, and I have found I have problems with the smaller shells and loading gate while stuffing shells into the mag.

The 20's shoot a denser pattern and take down steel real well, I just never could get the reloads down like with a 12 ga. In the last 5 years or so, people have learned to shoot shotguns like shotguns, and most stages have turned into reloading contests.

Kay Clark-Miculek has been whipping the hell out most of the field for years shooting her open 20. She is another source on info if Bennie can't cover the subject.

• 2 weeks later...

The Rem LT 20 is a bit fiddly to load fast but it is easy to shoot at 7+ rounds a second and with the 65 mm 28 gm cartridges and an Uncle Ade 14+1 mag tube it's quite formidable.

Oh and don't bother with optical sights it only slows you down, try aiming (a revolutionary new concept).

Only at Harlow, and when starting with a loaded gun, you can hold 4 or 5 cartridges in your hand for loading but it's still fiddly to load, but handles very quickly. mine has a 26" barrel but they do come in 28" as well. long range it isn't quite as good as a 12.

• 2 months later...