Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Learning In Poor Conditions

vluc

After shooting the Buckeye Blast on Saturday - or bath or splash (take your pick :D ) - I had a chance on the drive back to mentally review how I did. While, given the conditions, I was pleased, it did help me identify areas to focus on. And as I shoot Production, that's a lot of areas!! I did well in areas I did not expect to, and vice versa.

I've shot in high winds, snow, light mist and cold conditions (12 degrees and windy), but this is the first time in a pouring rain and mud slides. All those little things I could live with in other conditions became larger issues...a little wake-up call for me. I usually rely on movement to help me, but when it is curtailed, my weaknesses become more apparent. You never realize how much you rely on a tool until it is gone....

I traded messages a few weeks ago with a shooter (that came and shot the BLAST on Sunday)...he was gonna skip his practice session because it was raining.

Sometimes it rains during matches...gotta be prepared.

(Vince, great point about not always being able to depend on your strengths!)

The weather really screw with my head aswell. I was reluctent to go all out because I didn't want to risk slipping and possibly breaking 90. As far as just ignoring it, do mean not let it play with your head but still take things a little safer or just go full out as if nothing was different?

The weather did not mess with my head but the conditions showed me what I need to work on. The weather just is...when I was shooting there was no weather. I shot slower than i usually do, and did not have that burst from point A to point B to use as a make-up... that thing that I count on to make up for not trusting the sights enough.

A tremendously valuable learning experience that I would not give up! 816 points with 20 penalty points...but the TIME!!!

I should try that cleat stuff sometime. :D

Does it really help that much?

The weather did make me slow down a bit (moving wise) but it had the same effect for everyone. I'm not complaining, although I almost slipped and fell to my death a few times. ;)

I am a firm believer in lugged soles. I wear hiking shoes/boots all the time, at work, at play, at the range. My sandals are Tevas with a fairly agressive sole. I am one of those "talented" people that, given a surface where one might slip and fall, I will slip and fall. Once I stopped wearing casual shoes with almost slick soles and started wearing lugged soles this tendency went away.

If you are constantly worried that the rain slick or snow covered ground might cause you to slip and fall you aren't concentrating on shooting well. It is well worth getting out in the crappy weather conditions and at least going for a walk/jog/run in your range shoes to gain trust in your footwear.

I prefer the Columbia brand of hiking shoes/boots but that is a personal choice. They fit my feet well, are fairly durable, and are available locally from multiple retailers at reasonable prices.

Take care of your feet and they will take care of you. Cheap shoes are okay when you are 20 and can take the abuse. As the ankles, knees, back etc start to age it becomes more and more important to have good shoes that fit properly. My personal belief is that a lot of people with "back problems" are simply wearing the wrong shoes. In my case, just about any Nike shoe is back pain city for me. Even good shoes break down and when my back starts to twinge I buy new shoes. End of back pain.

Sorry...didn't mean this to turn into a shoe rant. Now back to your regularly schedule programming.