Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stepped in it today!

Pat Miles

I saw a listing in Craig's List the other day which got my attention. "Machine shop closing, Sale". I let a day or two pass and decide to call and see what was left. The Mrs. said the Bridgeport mill and lathe were still available. Now I've lusted for a nice Bridgeport for years. When I've gone looking I usually find a mill that has been rode real hard and put away wet and the seller still wants top dollar. Walking into this lady's garage, where they moved the equipment, I spied one of the cleanest Bridgeport mills that I have seen in a long time. DRO's, power table feed, damn near pristine table. Wow! Okay, what's it worth? "We're asking $2300.00" she tells me. Boy did the check book come out quick! Okay, what's the downside to this ? Well, the machine is a three phase which a phase converter can fix real quick. It will take a fork lift to load the mill on a trailer and then unload it at my place. I am going to have to move my Clausing knee mill but it will be sold anyway. The drill press will have to find some new location in my garage which fits the old saying about five pounds of stuff in a three pound garage. Fortunately I'm in the process of building an 8' x 12' shed in the backyard to handle the overflow. Man, I can't wait to get that puppy home. Hell, I'll be playing with it before I get the electrical situation taken care of. Oh man, what am I going to tell the wife? Oh yeah, I'm not married! Pray for me!

CYa,

Pat

Edited by whatmeworry

The saga continues. I started calling around to price renting a forklift. Best I could find was $85.00 a day. Only need it for a day but it's $85.00 for delivery to the mill pick up location, then $85.00 to pick up the forklift and transport it to my place to unload the mill, then $85.00 to pick the forklift up and take it back to the rental yard. Total $340.00. I can live with that. So now I need a trailer to transport the mill. I decide to ask a friend who has an automotive repair shop if he might have one I can borrow. Explaining my plan to him he tells me "why don't you just use my forklift"? Oh man, the gods are smiling on me! He then explains that I should rent a 12,000 pound equipment trailer so we can just pick up the mill with the forklift, drive both on the trailer, tie everything down and tow the trailer to my place with his Ford diesel one ton dually 4x4. Cost of renting the trailer? $60.00 for the weekend. It just doesn't get any better! Pay back to my buddy will be helping him tear out his kitchen for a remodel and hanging new cabinets when the time comes.

Pinch me, it must be a dream!

CYa,

Pat