Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ALS

murkish

One of my oldest friends was diagnosed with this on Friday. He is 39 with two kids (boy, 14 and girl, 12). His wife died of congestive heart failure not quite 2 years ago at 37.

It started in his strong arm and the doctor says that by this time next year, he will likely be unable to drive.

I have not spoken to him, yet. He is not ready.

This really sucks. I took my 4 year old daughter to a Valentine's Dance Saturday night and they played that Aerosmith song "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" and I about lost it. :(

My best friend was diagnosed last year. It is progressing slowly, but I think I took it harder than him initially. I talk to him regularly and it is now starting to sink in I think. When your friend is ready, give him all you can. Little things can go a long way.

I am so sorry for you, for him for all around him who care for and love him.

Death comes to us all and I have been fine with that for most of my life. Its the cost of admission. I just can not get my mind around why there have to be these debilitating, horrible diseases.

My .02 is that all we can do when this happens is be there for our friends/family in whatever way they most want us to be. It feels so frustratingly inadequate though.....