Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Shooter needs Advice

ramtough47

This is especially for Glock shooters as i shoot a 34.I would especially appreciate any A,Master or GM input ion this. With rising cost of bullets,powder,etc,etc, I'm trying to cut cost where i can,but at the same time i am trying to get better which means shoot more.I am currently a A class Production shooter trying to get higher.For the last two years i have been shooting 147 gr. bullets,either Montana Gold or Berrys using Titegroup powder.My question to all is: Am i better off staying with the 147 or transition down to the 124.If so what is everyone shooting.What about using the Precision[the black bullet]bullet,either 147 or 124. Guys forgive me, i know their are a multitude of opnions out there and some of you are going to say you got to experiment to see what is best for you,and i understand that,i would just like to know what is the general consensus of the shooters out there and what they are using[in Glocks].

The more you shoot the less it matters if you are shooting a 147gr handload or a 115gr WWB load. What's more important is consistancy. If you are going to shoot a load, get it's timing down right. bouncing between different loads can cause problems, but if you shoot 124gr handloads all the time and you are used to the timing, it's not going to affect the rest of your shooting.

The only thing I can say is different is the 147 bullets are a lot better at knocking down steel, but if it's set right, it's a null factor.

I actually prefer the lighter 124/125 grain bullets better. The slide tracks flatter and faster and works better for my speed. I used to shoot only 147's. Now I have a hard time re timing myself to them.

I load 3.8 grains of Titegroup under a MG 124 CMJ loaded to 1.140" with winchester small pistol magnum primers. They PF at 128 in 60 degree weather. They are also the most accurate bullet I've shot yet with Titegroup. I saw a big jump from A to M when I started loading my own handloads and tayloring them to my shooting style.

Edited by 00bullitt

I recently worked up and chronographed some loads with 147g bullets in a G34 and while testing them and comparing to my load with 125g bullets I thought they shot softer by a large margin. The next match I shot I started with the 147s and about half way through ran out and started topping off and refilling empty mags with the 125s (in no particular order, just all mixed up). What I realized was that while focused on executing a plan for the stage and shooting by reading the sights I never noticed any difference in the way the gun performed. Now I am not recommending that you mix your loads up as I did but I am suggesting that if your fundamentals are good the load probably won't make much difference.

I'd switch.

Couple of reasons why. First, if it saves you money that's a good thing. Go for it.

Two, you just might find a load that works better for you.

Third, a little switcheroo will cause you to look to see what's different. Almost by default it'll make you pay a little better attention. That'll make you a better shooter.

So when you shoot your first match with the 124's and you have a fantastic match, don't start thinking the bullets make a huge difference. Realize it was most likely you acknowledging you needed to pay attention a little more, and it was that attention that scored you the points. Not the piece of lead flying down range.

J

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I tried moly coated bullets, but was getting a lot of smoke with Titegroup. I have been told that fast burning powders will do that as they burn off the coating on the base of the bullet.

It may also be worth your while considering the MG 121gr IFP's. Bulk prices on these have been good (everything considered) and they shoot extremely consistently.