Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marvel Unit 2

scribble

I am wondering how long it took to get your Marvel Unit 2 conversion kit. I have hear alot of claims for 6 months of waiting and think this is ridiculous. I personlly think even the 6-8 week waiting period is ridicoulus.

Also if you have the unit 2 how do you like it?

I am wondering how long it took to get your Marvel Unit 2 conversion kit. I have hear alot of claims for 6 months of waiting and think this is ridiculous. I personlly think even the 6-8 week waiting period is ridicoulus.

I've got a Unit 2. Santa brought it Christmas of '06, so delivery was "magical" :D Actually, Midway had them in stock at the time. It runs perfectly with CCI Minimags. The 3 Marvel mags I have work well too. I did make a loading tool for those mags, the little button on the side kills your thumb after loading a few times. I added 4 Kimber mags to the bag for the conversion. So far, those work as well as the Marvels. Just be aware that rimfires can be a bit pickier in cold weather.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

My first time..... :rolleyes: ......I ordered from Marvel on the website, same length of wait. I then watched Midway and when they had them in stock I just ordered one from them. They get first dibs on the production runs....I then cancelled my order through Marvel.

One way to do it, if you dont want to wait...

Good luck,

DougC

After cruizing the Midway site I found a few options....But my question now is will both of these conversions, with the exception of the magazines, work on both the 1911 and 2011 platforms? I would be inclined to think so- but thought I would ask those that have one. Both are out of stock at the moment and the 2011 kit carries a 60+ day custom order delivery time! :blink: There is also a $106 difference between the two! The 1911 kit being the cheaper of the two. There is also a Wilson Combat kit with extended basepads that is out of stock as well. It is $3 more than the Marvel 1911 unit.

Marvel2011.jpg

Marvel1911.jpg

Edited by Rocket35

I've got a Unit 2. Santa brought it Christmas of '06, so delivery was "magical" :D Actually, Midway had them in stock at the time. It runs perfectly with CCI Minimags. The 3 Marvel mags I have work well too. I did make a loading tool for those mags, the little button on the side kills your thumb after loading a few times. I added 4 Kimber mags to the bag for the conversion. So far, those work as well as the Marvels. Just be aware that rimfires can be a bit pickier in cold weather.

I have a Kimber conversion and it works great.Will the Marel mags work with it?I'm not crazy about the cheap plastic mags Made be Kimber

The Wilson conversion is made by Marvel. They put Wilson Combat on the slide. All of the instructions and paper work packed with the Wilson unit have Marvel printed on them.

I kinda thought that was the case- but didn't want to speculate. I am wondering if Marvel is making the ones for STI?

I wonder why sooo long? Are they made to order?

They are kind of a family run business so they dont have that many people working for them, I think now that they are doing so much business they are all made to order and do special run for midwayusa and such

I received a price list from Tactical solutions and was all ready to order but when I started I was told I had the wrong price. I was told I was I was looking at the dealer prices. I decided to cancel my order and am looking into a marvel again or possibly the Kimber as it is readily available.

STI said possibly April till theres is released

Rocket,

It appears from the pics you posted that the "2011" kit is actually the Unit 1 Marvel, whereas the "1911" kit is the Unit 2. I might be wrong, as I'm not ultra familiar with the Marvel kits, but the first one looks like a fixed barrel, and the second one looks like a pivoting barrel.

Rocket,

It appears from the pics you posted that the "2011" kit is actually the Unit 1 Marvel, whereas the "1911" kit is the Unit 2. I might be wrong, as I'm not ultra familiar with the Marvel kits, but the first one looks like a fixed barrel, and the second one looks like a pivoting barrel.

Both Marvel units are fixed barrels. The recoil spring guide tightens agains the slide stop. The unit 2, the entire slide reciprocates. The unit 1, the "slide" is in 2 pieces. The part the reciprocates is similar to a Kart, and kind of resembles the slide of a S&W model 41.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

they will both work.....but you will need the Metalform ace mag they sell with the Aluminum spacers on each side to work with the STI frame.

From what I was told, the Unit 2 will work with High Velocity ammo well, and Unit 1 was designed for CCI standard ammo, and they give you a test target at 50yds with that ammo as well.

The only issues I now have with my unit 1 is that I have to clean the chamber ever 200 rounds or so, run good ammo for reliability, and take extra good care of the mags. It is a lot of fun!

DougC

Well, I went to a local gun show today to pick up my grips from a buddy running a booth there. I didn't figure there was a whole lot of reason to walk around, but thought I might as well since I paid my $5 entry. My general experience of guns shows is overpriced junk and alot of gunshop commandos trying to sell it. But- I found this diamond in all the rough! I paid $400 for this "Wilson Combat" Marvel Unit 2 Practical conversion. It came with 7 mags and the loading device. I figured it was a pretty good deal- but almost passed on it! :o But have been hearing of the long waiting and considered the savings of $240 as the deciding factors as to not pass on this deal. The cool thing I never noticed before is that the metal basepads can be swapped out for the extended Wilson magazine basepads. Three extended ones came with the deal. And that the guiderod screws in- to lock the barrel up once it is installed. The barrel is indeed fixed and does not move once installed properly. Slide to frame was about as tight as one would expect from a conversion meant to fit on all the various 1911 pattern guns out there. I will be ordering the .100" narrow sight for it and be ready to run! Does anyone have any suggestions on what brand/type of .22 ammo will run best in this? Here it is on my Spartan...

DSC02802.jpg

DSC02801.jpg

DSC02799.jpg

DSC02793.jpg

Please excuse the crappy pics! :blush:

Edited by Rocket35

I have had very good results with Federal Auto Match. It comes bulk packed 325 rounds to the box. It has a 40 grain solid bullet and runs 1200fps. It works in both of my Marvel units and in my S&W 41 and Ruger/Clark MK II. I have been able to find it at some Wal Marts. Midway always has it in stock.

DUDE! :cheers: Awesome score! Good for you......

Now turn over the slide and polish the beejeezus out of the ejector rail, just shine it and the edge from the breechface and the rail. Just make it smooth. The slide should glide and if the extractor "snaps" into the barrel then you need to reduce the angle of the extractor that contacts the cutout on the barrel so it doesnt take much energy to close the action. If you have problems with the mags, PM me and I will take measurements from my mags for you. Also, get a .22 bore snake and hit the barrel every 100-200 rds and you should be set. If you know someone with a mill then I wouldnt worry about the front sight....You do realize that you bought the mags today and got the kit for damn near free, right..... :lol:

have fun,

DougC