Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Confidence Vs. Ego

Steve,

it depends on each one ego's size.

For me it goes like this:

Confidence: if I train properly, on a daily basis, with good mentors, I will eventually become a GM.

Ego: trash the whole training thing...I can become a GM in a couple of matches anyway.

If only I could get rid of my Ego... :D

Steve,

That COF with the 18 steel comes to mind as a recent example.

I agree with your post entirely.

The stages (or targets) that I don't give much respect to...the ones I take for granted...those are the ones that bite me in the back side.

Ego kills.

Confidence is knowing you are on your game and that you can handle anything that the match throws at you, and do it well.

Ego is trying to run it faster than TGO and blowing yourself out of the top 10.

Steve--

Only reflecting how it works for ME...

Either way I know what it takes to make the shot--and can only blame myself if I don't make it.

Both my ego and my confidence level are ultimately my own responsibility. :ph34r:

PS--And without just a little ego-strength we'd be cringing in some closet somewhere talking to ourselves.

Confidence is KNOWING I can make the shot.

Ego is thinking I can make ANY shot.

For me, I need to know my present limits and then I can execute confidently within them. Ego is when I think I can do everything that Strader does, just as fast. My skills just aren't there yet either.

My ego says that all the big dogs are pathetic losers because they don't shoot tactically -- especially that big fella with the "I just converted to Islam" facial hair complex. My ego denounces them all as heretics and furthermore my super-ego states I no longer have to compete with them - as my innate talent places my abilities on a higher plane of existence.

I still shoot, but now by myself or accompanied by my pathetic followers on my private shooting range. My disciples ooh and aah over my action, parroting my movements, dress, diction, and hairstyle. I have created my own shooting league with a myriad of rules, both written and unwritten, tailored to flatter myself.

I am ego. I am God Almighty.

[Copies of my new book, SnailFire for Dummies may be purchased for $29.95 at finer airport bookstores near you.]

----------------------------------------------------------------

Confidence is knowing what the Great Guru is trying to cram down your throat is a pile of donkey dung and calmly walking up to the line and shooting your game.