Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP CTR-02 Really likes Blackhills 69gr. Matchking HP

hockeydadnu27

I want to load my own long range bullets. Need to know what powder is being used in Blackhills red box

69 grain matchking HP bullets. I know it is 24.7 grains of very fine powder. I don't like how Varget meters out of my Dillon 650xl. The powder used in Blackhills looks like it would meter very accurately.

I am just starting out .223 reloading, I need to learn alot.

Interesting. I just started testing a new (and very accurate) load using 69grn. SMKs over 24.8 grains of Ramshot TAC, which is a very fine ball powder. My MSTN barrel has printed some 1/2" groups at 100 yards with that load, so it might be worth a try.

- Chris

Louie,

It is very possible that Black Hills is using a non canister grade powder. Meaning, the burn rate is not quite the same as what you can buy. They fine tune the load with a combination of pressure testing and velocity. Ramshot TAC is supposed to work pretty well with heavier bullets in .223.

I want to load my own long range bullets. Need to know what powder is being used in Blackhills red box

69 grain matchking HP bullets. I know it is 24.7 grains of very fine powder. I don't like how Varget meters out of my Dillon 650xl. The powder used in Blackhills looks like it would meter very accurately.

I am just starting out .223 reloading, I need to learn alot.

What is the twist on your barrel?

I ask because if you are new to reloading you should consider the bullet weight.

If the twist is 9:1 a 69 grain bullet is about the heaviest you may want to go.

If the twist is 8:1 you can go heavier for long range loads and still stabilize the bullet.

I wouldn't get too caught up in trying to exactly duplicate the Black Hills load.

Check the reloading manuals and find the powders that are appropriate for the bullet you want to use.

Try several of them.

Reloading is all about experimentation.

Edited by 38superman

Take it for what it's worth. Over on AR15.com a whioe backk there was someone who posted that they aksed BH what powder they used in their .223 loads and they were told Ramshot TAC by the BH person.

Neal in AZ