Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super rebored to 9mm

coldchar

I recently had S&W replace my38 super cylinder (moon clips of course) and they returned the old cylinder. I am thinking of having a 9mm Luger chamber tool open up the back end so I can use something more than the factory 9mm loads the factory cylinder will already shoot.. Other than the long jump from for the bullet until it hits the forcing cone does anyone see a downside to this on an extra cylinder?

I recently had S&W replace my38 super cylinder (moon clips of course) and they returned the old cylinder. I am thinking of having a 9mm Luger chamber tool open up the back end so I can use something more than the factory 9mm loads the factory cylinder will already shoot.. Other than the long jump from for the bullet until it hits the forcing cone does anyone see a downside to this on an extra cylinder?

Well if you replaced the cylinder for an accuracy reason won't that same problem be there still :blink:

I believe a few folks have modified their Supers to shoot 9mm's and still shoot 38 super with no ill affects,

might save you the swap out time if you just modified the new cyl. (but I can see why you may not want to do that)

and also it sounds like you want to shoot 9mm reloads, don't think I've seen that discussed before.

Do a search for maybe "9mm" or "38 super" there was a good thread here a year or so ago.

A gunsmith friend mentioned once the cylinder's coating is kind of hard so if you do decide to try this out

be prepared as you may damage the reamer.

I'm sure others will chime in tomorrow, if you go ahead good luck with your project.

You read my mind, yes I do want to use 9mm reloads which won't fit into the standard 38 super cylinder. You are also right I don't want to mess with the basic 38 super boring on the new cylinder as it would torpedo the value.

\

There was an accuracy problem with the old cylinder due to a overside cylinder throat which won't go away with 9mm boring but it would be a really nice option for practise.

I made a 9mm cylinder for 627 super (unfortunatly lost in mail). We reamed it to 9x21 so the cases would come out without sticking. As it was lost while another shooter was using it I cant say how accurate it was.

Try loading your 9mm using a 38 super size die. I have been running my 9mm brass through a case pro with 38 super plates, but 38 super size die does almost as well. Just segregate the brass for that gun ( don't want it used in 9mm major) and case guage in a 38 super guage. this is in a 627 super.

Try loading your 9mm using a 38 super size die. I have been running my 9mm brass through a case pro with 38 super plates, but 38 super size die does almost as well. Just segregate the brass for that gun ( don't want it used in 9mm major) and case guage in a 38 super guage. this is in a 627 super.

The above sounds like a possiblilty coldchar, I'll have to try that tonight myself with my super die's in my 650.

Another option could be to send a flat rate box of 9mm cases to a place that Case-Pro's brass for a price

(if they'll do 9mm with super dies) and then you'd have X number of 9mm cases ready to go.

How many thousand fit in a flat rate box ?? enough for awhile I'm sure.

So what would this new round be called....38 Super Special, 9mm-38super-Short ;)

Anyway's, now maybe I'll have a use for all that 9mm I pick up at the range.

Sorry to throw cold water on the idea of resizing 9mm brass in 38 super dies but I must. Unfortunately on progressive presses there is the taper leading into the die which unfortunately pretty well conforms to the webbing at the base of the brass just forward of the extractor groove. As a result used brass expands under pressure at the webbing (especially if Glock brass) just enough that resizing it back to 9mm factor diameter let alone reducing it to 38 super diameter has prooved impossible. Trust me I have tried more than once.

Sorry to throw cold water on the idea of resizing 9mm brass in 38 super dies but I must. Unfortunately on progressive presses there is the taper leading into the die which unfortunately pretty well conforms to the webbing at the base of the brass just forward of the extractor groove. As a result used brass expands under pressure at the webbing (especially if Glock brass) just enough that resizing it back to 9mm factor diameter let alone reducing it to 38 super diameter has prooved impossible. Trust me I have tried more than once.

That may be where the Case Pro come's in. But then again I've ground down that area of my resizing

dies so I'll still see what happens on my 650

The SAMMI spec's show a .384 dia for a super case and .391 dia at the base for 9mm.

I can see how squishing this thick area into a die could be problematic (maybe not in a 1050 though :surprise: )