Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady hammer style puller

I have been reloading for a couple of years. The mistakes I either trow away or stash in a box for dissassembly.

Recently I got a hornady collet hammer puller. It works pretty good on everything except 223., I keep smacking

the thing on concrete but the bullets just dont weigh enough. They only move forward, I feel like I'm going to break

the thing if I hit any harder!!

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

I screwed up a run of ammo a while back and decided that I'd take my medicine like a man, used a kinetic puller on all 250 rounds.

By the time I was done, my hand stung more than a day on the range w/ my 44 mag... <_<

I pulled about 80 rounds of 22-250 for a guy that started getting case heads coming off. The handle of my Quinetics puller was pretty bowed by the end of it all. Crimped .223s are a real pain, but I have pulled .17 bullets with it as well without too much trouble. I don't know how they take the pounding, but that is some good plastic.

Edited by mscott

Many lighter taps are normally recommended over harder taps with an inertial bullet puller.

The lightweight bullets are more of a problem, and it may be better to used a collet puller instead of an inertial puller for the light bullets. Inertial pullers are best with handgun cartridges.

Guy

The hammer types are kinetic or however you want to word it. A collet is a press mounted puller and might be a better option for hard to pull bullets. I think there is more technique involved than just swinging a hammer. I use a loose grip and almost let it rebound freely. The majority of bullets are out in 2 wacks. I'd hate to tell you to hit it harder since I'm not sure what you are working with, but mine has been beat on hard enough that I need to buy a new aluminum chuck for it.

Man that is some tough plastic!! Harder wacks in combination with a loose

hold did the job, but I'm a little sore... thanks!

edited, must have been asleep while spelling??

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

I use a two foot length of 4x4 standing upright on my floor. Works great and no damage to the puller. Doesn't take more than a couple of stout whacks...no hand stinging, no he man effort. I started doing this after seeing the chrono guys at matches using some type of similar setup.

it is a speed issue.

The energy in the swing is all you can do to move the bullet.

leaning into the hammer like one does to drive in a nail is not going to help.

I hold the very end of the handle and flip my wrist.

I try to get the hammer really moving.

I hold on to keep the handle, and pointedly not to control the rebound.

It usually takes two wacks onto a the end of a 2x4.

the other side of the wood is on concrete.

I get a bonk/gong noise when I do it right.

I know the bullet is loose by the lack of re-bound...

v