Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun and site awareness

mpeltier

This past weekend I was at the range doing some practice drills. Not sure what the drill is called but it was three IPSC's at 15 yds, 5sec par time and only A's count. My amigo and I are very similarly skilled and niether of us could "Graduate" to the 20yd line. I even tried shooting regardless of the time and still managed to throw a shot per string aiming as slowly as I could. This would explain my misses on long shots at some recent big matches. During this practice session I became more and more aware of my front site, and ulimately my whole gun and its firing cycle. I have seen my front site before and seen it lift, but this was different. I actually could see and feel the slide cycle, the hammer fall, I felt the slide moving (my week hand thumb was lightly touching it) saw the spent cartridges etc. and I remember having the time to think I am shooting so slowly Im going to run out of time, but did not. This was a very cool experiance but did not really obsorb what was happening until I was driving home. The problem I noticed with my front site is it is way too narrow for my aging eyes. this i became more aware of as my total awareness was tunig in if you will.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a moment of clarity like this back in CO. I had Dawson sights on my G34, and Warren Sevigny Comp's on my G17. While engaging a very far target with the G17, I realized the front sight was just too loose in the rear notch to be accurate for me on long shots. I was throwing rounds inches out of the A zone and could not tell. I switched back to the G34 and the groups immediately tightened back up.

• 2 weeks later...