Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will 38 Super SVI mags work reliably with 9mm?

rider82

I have an STI Eagle 38SC that I want to convert to 9mm. I have a source for free once fired 9mm brass. I plan on useing the gun for steel, and maybe IDPA. My question is can I use my current SVI 38 Super tubes for 9mm, or do they need to be tuned. The tubes are older 126 mm SVI tubes with Dawson +2 pads. Also, I'm looking for a few smith's with decent turn around time that can fit a new barrel and hardcrome the gun. Thanks.

Yes the mags will work. Weather they need tuning or not will only be known after trying. I have a major 9mm gun and I am using SVI tubes that are straight from SV and tuned(gramms) sti mags. Both are working fine. Most hardchromers take about 2 weeks. Try Tripp for the hardchroming and you will be happy.

I have been using my SV Super mags for both 9mm and Super. The SVs feed well with 9mm but they can be finicky about which follower you use. Some work fine with the blue competition follower while others like the original black that hold less rounds. I tried one Grams in the Super/9mm and while it worked, it was not reliable enough for me.

I have an STI Eagle 38SC that I want to convert to 9mm. I have a source for free once fired 9mm brass. I plan on useing the gun for steel, and maybe IDPA. My question is can I use my current SVI 38 Super tubes for 9mm, or do they need to be tuned. The tubes are older 126 mm SVI tubes with Dawson +2 pads. Also, I'm looking for a few smith's with decent turn around time that can fit a new barrel and hardcrome the gun. Thanks.

I run an STI Eagle 9mm for IDPA ESP and USPSA Limited Minor and I love it. However, the magazines I have never loved. The STI mag/follower combo was a lost cause. I bought the SVI 9mm with the standard follower for IDPA, but the mag turns into a maraca with loose rounds. I was told that is normal, but it is quite annoying. That mag ran ok and I had one feed issue right after I had done a slide-drop during the "make ready" time and I peeked to verify a round was chambered. The next round didn't feed. I assume the peek slide movement moved the next round to cause this.

Last night I ran the SVI 9mm mag with the Grams follower made for the spacer setup. I put the spacer from my STI mag in there and it ran fine and the maraca rattle was gone. I do not have enough time on that setup to sign off on it, but so far so good. The STI mags with the spacer and the Grams also worked very well and I have yet to have a problem on those. Grams would like to have the spacer glued in place, but I have not done that. The spacer does float around a little bit which could lead to feed issues.

Hope this helps.

Yes.....the majority of the time SV 38 super tubes run fine with 9mm out of the package. The majority being 95% or better. The problems arise out of the STI 38 super mags. Spacers need to be run or rounds need to be loaded extremely long in 9mm. My advice is that if at all possible buy the SV tubes if you plan on running 9mm major or minor.

I must be one of the lucky ones, all of my 140mm mags both SV and STI work fine without spacers in both my guns. I have one 170mm STI tube that was a problem but HSMITH fixed it. The SV 170's have worked fine without tuning.

I run the same 38 super SV mgs in my SV IMM 38 SC and my Anglin built 9 mm open guns. They run in both guns with absolutly no problems and have not be "professionally" tuned. I use Gram's springs and followers (standard length) with Gram's base pads and Dawson +2 base pads. I the plastic insert in the Dawson base pads to keep the spring/follower from catching on the ledge in the base pad. They hold 24 rounds 140 mm with 23 rounds eaisly reloadable and 29 rounds in the 170 mm with 9 mm.

I have had great luck with sv mags. I started with sti mags but the 9mm rounds wanted to pass each other in the middle of the magazine... locked everything up.... didn't seen to matter if I used the spacers or not... not a benefit to good shooting. Switched to sv mags and have not had a magazine related failure since. So IMO stick with the sv mags and burn on.

Dwight