Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 SLide Lock

DaveM

I have a kimber 1911 that is going to slide lock with rounds still in the magazine. Originally I thought it was due to bullets clipping the slide stop as they come up because it is worse with 230 gr RN bullets. I am also using some 200 gr RNFP bullets they are better. But I seated both loads deeper and verified that they clear the slide stop by a bunch. Still have the problem and still worse with 230 gr. Anyone have any suggestions? I can do anything I want with a glock but I admit to being 1911 stupid.

Does it happen with more than one round in the mag? If so, the first thing I'd do would be to cut a dimple/detent in the slide stop lever for the plunger contacts it. The head of the plunger fits in the dimple and puts additional tension on the slide stop so it won't pop up unless it's hit hard by the mag follower.

If it's only with one round left, take a look at the follower and the ledge that hits the slide stop. It's often easiest to take the slide off, put the slide stop lever back in and then put mags into the frame and see how things look.

I had this same problem with my Edge, turned out it was the mag spring, not enough tension.

The slide would strip a round and at the same time pull the round below forward enough so that the nose was

engaging the slide stop. Replaced the spring and solved the problem

I had this same problem with my Edge, turned out it was the mag spring, not enough tension.

The slide would strip a round and at the same time pull the round below forward enough so that the nose was

engaging the slide stop. Replaced the spring and solved the problem

et tu Kz45. Same thing here, just my bad for not changing springs when I should have.

This is something you can attack on three fronts. Stronger mag springs to keep cartridges from jumping around during recoil/feeding. Putting the detent into the slidestop. Relieving the slidestop so that it doesn't contact the bullet but still contacts the follower. You should see brass marks where the bullet is contacting the slidestop. Working with the mag in and slide off will give you an idea of what range of motion and contact things have and what surfaces are necessary for the slidestop and follower to work.

Edited by adweisbe

Since most of the mechanical stuff has been mentioned. Have you changed your grip? Is there a possibility of your left thumb hitting it? Is this a new occurance with a gun that you've had a while?

If you have someone that loads 200 SWC's. Try them, there is almost no way that bullet will contact a slide stop. A detent will normally solve it, along with contouring the inside of the slide stop.

Thanks everyone. I've already relieved the inside of the slide stop. I'm afraid to take anymore for fear that it will miss the follower all together and not lock open at all. I've ordered new mag springs mine are pretty old. I'm going to try that first and if that is no good I'll add a detent to the slode stop. This is a new to me gun, and I've not had any trouble with this on my old gun. One thumb is on the safety and the other is over top of and in front of the slide stop when I shoot so It shouldn't be that. Thanks again everyone now at least I have some ideas to try out.

I had a similar problem, but I was able to track it down to a couple of mags. The followers don't take to being tweeked and I broke one. When I replaced all the mag springs last year I had a couple followers riding over the slide stop, which locks things up real nice and makes you say bad words. I had an extra, so I ground the slide stop down to eliminate both problems. I'll have to pay more attention to when I need to change mags, but it is reliable now with all mags.