Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crossfit training

Chris Conley

Did Monday's WOD today...Front Squat 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps. I know it's supposed to be 10 reps at max but I worked up to it cos I have no clue what my max is. So the work out ended up being 2x65, 2x75, 2x85, 2x95, 2x105. I don't think those are "true" weights. There isn't a tall rack where I could pick up the bar so I used this contraption they have at the rec center where the bar stays centered in a rail system. It has a pulley and bottom bumpers in case you drop the barbell. I asked at the front desk but no one knows if the pulley is simply there for safety or if it actually offsets some of the weight. I finished up with a few dead lifts at 95#. Oh, and on the warm up, I cleared 5 jumping pull ups (the pull up bar is aboutt 8-9 feet up). I'm going to nail a dead weight pull up soon!

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Same here but for deads, I had to use a Smith machine as I had no buddy that day....so my excitement for the 300 lb. deads was short-lived. I wonder what the assist on those are?

You will nail the pullup, then next year you will be competing against Eva-T. :cheers:

Why do you need a buddy to be able to do deadlifts??? What the heck are you doing??? :D

Last night's workout for me was....

500m row

400m run

300 jump rope (single unders)

200 squats

100 walking lunge

50 situps

It was hard to operate the clutch in the car following that action, let me tell you ;)

Moving plates around on a static bar sux by yourself, so the elevated smith machine bar is easier.....remember "technique and your ability to produce must have certain inherent qualities for succees,, my requisite is laziness" :D

Not really a Crossfit q, per se, but how fast are y'all rowing 5k on the Concept2 machines? Our gym recently got these machines, and I like that workout as a change of pace from the treadmill, or lifting. It's taking me about 22:15.... I'm also not sure how the damper works. I set it between 7-8, usually. I'm guessing if you set it to '2' you'd have to pull more times for the same distance?

Not really a Crossfit q, per se, but how fast are y'all rowing 5k on the Concept2 machines? Our gym recently got these machines, and I like that workout as a change of pace from the treadmill, or lifting. It's taking me about 22:15.... I'm also not sure how the damper works. I set it between 7-8, usually. I'm guessing if you set it to '2' you'd have to pull more times for the same distance?

I don't have a row machine where I work out...but here is some info and demos from CF

Moving plates around on a static bar sux by yourself, so the elevated smith machine bar is easier.....remember "technique and your ability to produce must have certain inherent qualities for succees,, my requisite is laziness" :D

My gym has a gizmo that you can lift up the bar and add/remove weight without having to get all contorted out of shape. Maybe yours does too? I had no idea what the gizmo was for until I saw someone else use it and viola!!

Careful on the Smith machine, it's a crutch, and it's really easy to hurt yourself as your movements are very limted. You can figure that the Smith machine deducted 20 pounds or so of effort from your lift; at least that's what it's worked out to be for me...

Hit Diane at the gym today; first CF workout in a coupla weeks as I've shifted my lifting from the 5x5 to a timed total tonnage system and wanted to give my body time to adjust to the new stress. Diane was pretty rough, but got through 'er in decent shape and didn't have to puke; which only means I didn't go hard enough I imagine. ;)

This reminds me of the people who drive around and around the gym parking lot, trying to get as close to the door as possible. :wacko:

This reminds me of the people who drive around and around the gym parking lot, trying to get as close to the door as possible. :wacko:

In Montana ? I thought they did not have parking lots or gyms there yet...... :lol:

Are you sure that's not to avoid freezing to death on the walk in from the car?? :blink::lol:

Yeah....It's almost better to not do it at all than do it on the smith machine. I'm sure something can be figured out to do it free weight.

Well I'm about 2.5 weeks through SS and I've gained 12 pounds.

Yur fat.

:lol: :lol:

I've seen Jake....I wouldn't call him fat....Or if I did (even in jest), I would be a good, long ways away when I said it (and he'd still run fast enough to catch me)!

Scaled down WOD today. Four rounds for time of: Run 400 meters, 35 Squats. My 400 meter times went 2:05, 2:20, 2:35, 2:45 and the squat rounds were :35, :35, :40, :50 for a total of 11:45. I slacked on the 3rd and 4th round trying to recover so I'd have some gas left for the squats. Go figure, at rounds three and four, the squats seemed harder! :lol:

I added 10 jumping pull ups, some targeted tricep work, and 15 push ups (woot! military style but with my feet just over shoulder width apart) just cos I felt froggy after the WOD.

Time to go load ammo and dryfire!

Edited by carinab

Yesterday I did a scaled Annie (35-25-20-15 and 10 rep rounds of: Tuck jumps with rope, Sit-ups) after only getting about 4 hours of sleep friday night. I didn't get a time because we were at the park while my daughter played on the playground and I didn't have a watch. I did manage one pull up on the monkey bars - finally!...Yeah!

Made up for the lack of sleep by going out dancing saturday night and shot a match today...Malfs on two stages, one good run, and one trashed run. When I am tired it's twice as hard to focus. No WOD today....I need rest!

Where is my pillow!!!

WOD can be done wherever you like ;) Many Crossfitters prefer the outdoors, or otherwise open air gyms due to the conditioning aspects... but plenty do them indoors, too, so.... Doing them somewhere is more important than doing them nowhere, ya know? :)

Tonight....

3 rounds

Run 800m

20 situps

20 pushups

16:38

Followed by 30 med-ball rotational wall slams on each side

Friday, did 2400m run followed by 21-15-9 of

pullups

pushups

situps

dips

I had my wife's cousin along on Friday, so I was avoiding killing him - we did the run at his pace, about 15:20. The workout for me was an 8:15. Those 21-15-9 setups are interesting, if a bit short - you can just hammer through them quick and hard... good for a short sprint workout every once in a while...

Thanks XRe, once my personal training runs out in April I plan to start the Crossfit program. I see by your post you can scale it to your specific abilities because I doubt I could do 30 pulls anytime soon.

Once I start I'll look to this forum as well as the forum on crossfit for guidance.

Thanks again

Ditto with the gym I'm currently at. Look at it this way, now you have you control the lowering of the weight as well which will make you stronger...especially in power cleans.

So did anyone do Eva? I just saw that on the CF site and had to change my shorts.

That looks R-O-U-G-H.

The run's the easy part in Eva :lol: A total of 90 2-pood swings is gnarly... The pullups take some time, but aren't ridiculous... My shoulders are killing me just thinking about those swings, though. The heaviest I've done with any number of real reps is 1.5 pood, and that sucker was hard to control - I'd definitely have to scale that one to make it through, I think....